Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
guest1984
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by kildare)
Far far more than 75% professional tennis players would take 'making enough money to cover expense and essentials'. Henman is in the top 0.1% of pro players. I'm not going to try and claim that he'll go down as one of the games' greats or anything of the sort but at the ng same time the type of qualifications you're trying to make are simply miles wide of the mark.
how would you know its far far more than 75%?? :p:

top 0.1%, yeah i would say so.........but tennis players wanna be in the top 0.05% unless they have no drive or ambition!!!
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by guest1984)
Yeah, i agree with your 1st point........your 2nd point.....lol....yeah, what i said is indeed crap, you can't compare a tennis player with another tennis player who isn't in his prime.........but tennis experts do it all the time, macroroe(sp), Becker etc
Tennis experts talk crap. All the british commentators (especially John Lloyd) genuinly believe henman can win wimbledon when he isnt good enough. The only one who seems to talk sense is Mcenroe
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Tennis experts talk crap. All the british commentators (especially John Lloyd) genuinly believe henman can win wimbledon when he isnt good enough. The only one who seems to talk sense is Mcenroe
Mcenroe is a tennis genius, he said in 2002 i think, that Federer will dominate Men's tennis in the future, he lost in the 1st round that year , sue barker and the other tennis expert were laughing at him, 2 year on, whos laughing huh?
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Mcenroe is a tennis genius, he said in 2002 i think, that Federer will dominate Men's tennis in the future, he lost in the 1st round that year , sue barker and the other tennis expert were laughing at him, 2 year on, whos laughing huh?
And who beat him?
bestdeceptions
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
It all depends on a person's opinion, its all relative, some students would say an A is not very good, some students would say a E is very good. I disagree would the fact that 99% of tennis pros would take 6 grand semi's. Its more like 50-75% of a tennis player would take 6 grand semi's.

It depends on how high of a standard a person set yourself
I don't mean to be pedantic, but what kind of student says an A isn't very good? :confused: I know this is irrelevant to tennis but don't think that's a very sound argument...
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by bestdeceptions)
I don't mean to be pedantic, but what kind of student says an A isn't very good? :confused: I know this is irrelevant to tennis but don't think that's a very sound argument...
yeah, some gcse student would say an A isn't very good. There are many students that would say that, there are people in the forum that would say that..........!!
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
And who beat him?
ME, it was me, that spur him on, to be one of the greatest of all time

Yes, its true, its true
spicebrain
Report 14 years ago
Federer is simply magical to watch really, isn't he? It's just such an awesome experience, it's almost like a privilege just watching someone so marvellous in action. He's got this Open in the bag, and I would *not* be surprised if he bagged the Grand Slam this year, although I don't dare go out on a limb to predict it...

Good to see Agassi performing solidly. Such a gracious old veteran, gotta love the guy. He's within that small bracket of players (Roddick, Hewitt, Safin) that can - on a good day - legitimately push Federer IMO. Although recent results might suggest otherwise but oh well, the talent is there.

It's such a shame women's tennis has become so boring lately. Well, for me anyway. I for one am not big on all these new Russian girls, especially Sharapova who I find quite overexposed. Bring back the Venus Williams I used to know in 2000/01, heal the 2 Belgians for crying out loud, and pray that Hingis makes a comeback. That line-up with Davenport and Serena would be a hoot.

Anyway, WA-HEY for Baltacha going through When's the last time a British female made it past the 1st round in a Slam other than Wimbledon? I, for one, can't remember. Shame Sugiyama went out, she's a personal fave of mine. Can't have it all, I guess. Here's hoping Davenport lifts the title. I'd quite like to see Mauresmo break her Grand Slam curse too.
vavavoom86
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by spicebrain)
Federer is simply magical to watch really, isn't he? It's just such an awesome experience, it's almost like a privilege just watching someone so marvellous in action. He's got this Open in the bag, and I would *not* be surprised if he bagged the Grand Slam this year, although I don't dare go out on a limb to predict it...

Good to see Agassi performing solidly. Such a gracious old veteran, gotta love the guy. He's within that small bracket of players (Roddick, Hewitt, Safin) that can - on a good day - legitimately push Federer IMO. Although recent results might suggest otherwise but oh well, the talent is there.

It's such a shame women's tennis has become so boring lately. Well, for me anyway. I for one am not big on all these new Russian girls, especially Sharapova who I find quite overexposed. Bring back the Venus Williams I used to know in 2000/01, heal the 2 Belgians for crying out loud, and pray that Hingis makes a comeback. That line-up with Davenport and Serena would be a hoot.

Anyway, WA-HEY for Baltacha going through When's the last time a British female made it past the 1st round in a Slam other than Wimbledon? I, for one, can't remember. Shame Sugiyama went out, she's a personal fave of mine. Can't have it all, I guess. Here's hoping Davenport lifts the title. I'd quite like to see Mauresmo break her Grand Slam curse too.
i love sharapova. :love:
bestdeceptions
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, some gcse student would say an A isn't very good. There are many students that would say that, there are people in the forum that would say that..........!!
Oh, that's fair enough if you mean GCSE A friend of mine cried when she got her GCSE results - 9 A*s and 1/2 an A :rolleyes: I thought you meant A Level, where A is the highest you can get.
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by spicebrain)

Hingis won't come back, unfortunatly, she may be an tennis analysis tho. Bring back Anna Kournakova lol I heard rumours that she may come back to women's tennis.

Women tennis was only good, when steffi Graf, the czech serve and volleyer from during 1994-1998 i think, hingis and martinez- spain.........now all we get is those massive steriod half women, half men, with grunts
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Woo, Sharapova won her first match! :party:

bestdeceptions
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wonder why everyone likes Sharapova :rolleyes:

Bring back Anna Kournakova
And her too :p:
guest1984
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Oh, that's fair enough if you mean GCSE A friend of mine cried when she got her GCSE results - 9 A*s and 1/2 an A :rolleyes: I thought you meant A Level, where A is the highest you can get.
yeah, i actually did mean A level, lol........i was like........damn this girl notice my school boy error

But, i knew secondary school students do their Gcse and highest possible grade is a A*..........so i just elaborated on my point

hehe

bestdeceptions
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
yeah, i actually did mean A level, lol........i was like........damn this girl notice my school boy error

But, i knew secondary school students do their Gcse and highest possible grade is a A*..........so i just elaborated on my point

hehe

Hehe Sorry!
spicebrain
Report 14 years ago
Oh YES. I'll take Steffi Graf over the current crop of women ANY day. Well, I'll excuse Venus because I have soft spot for her (she won the first ever Wimbledon that I watche *properly*). Absolute legend! And not bad looking, either. The Czech serve-volleyer you mean is Jana Novotna, I think? And I don't expect Hingis to come back to be honest, but it'd be a nice little dream fulfilled for me. I absolutely loathed the woman back when she was playing, but now that she's gone I really miss her...

I don't think I made myself too clear about Sharapova, either. I really don't dislike her, I just dislike the overexposure and the hype surrounding her. Plus I don't think she's *that* much of a looker, although I'd be happy to marry her and share her fortune.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I wonder why everyone likes Sharapova :rolleyes:
Cus she's an amazing, successful tennis player and still only 17! :p:
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
how would you know its far far more than 75%?? :p:

top 0.1%, yeah i would say so.........but tennis players wanna be in the top 0.05% unless they have no drive or ambition!!!
Because I know a lot of pro tennis players, plus I know how many pro's are out there, trying to make some sort of living from the sport.
bestdeceptions
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
Cus she's an amazing, succesfull tennis player and still only 17! :p:
Sure :p: And Hewitt's an amazing, successful tennis player and only 24
kildare
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
He said that he thought Federer had the game to win the title both that year, and for years to come. Not really that big a call to be fair. I wouldn't try and suggest for a minute that McEnore is anything but a tennis genius however.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
5.95%
They might tell the bully (19)
10.27%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.3%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
37.84%
There's nothing they could do (53)
28.65%

Watched Threads

Latest