Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i was at that match, the one off moin khan, was an absolute screamer!

(Original post by john williams)
    What about the catch by Yuraj last summer, India v Pakistan at Edgebaston, in 2004, from what i can remember that was also pretty awesome.

ReputationRep:
    i think hingis is thinking about a comeback actually...i heard something like that in the news!!! and plz if muresmo wins i will be disgusted...i'm not sure how muresmo is even allowed to compete on the womens tour she is just sooo manly!!!

deffinately bring back steffi graf she has got to be my fav tennis player of all time!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    Sure :p: And Hewitt's an amazing, successful tennis player and only 24
    I like Hewitt!

ReputationRep:
    personally i cant stand Sharapova,s father. there is somthing serously wrong with parents who want their kids to win as much as them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Because I know a lot of pro tennis players, plus I know how many pro's are out there, trying to make some sort of living from the sport.
    couldn't agree more. if people knew what its like being a world top 500-1000 player, scraping a living by playing crappy satellite tournaments and saving up to go abroad for a big tournament once in a very long while. these players are trying hard to get their ATP points into the double digits, and yet they are among the 1000 best people at their job in the entire world. how many of us can make a similar claim?

with one arm tied behind their back, these players could beat any decent club player without conceding a point in 5 sets, and yet they would certainly kill to have had henman's success.

regards federer, he was just the second person to beat sampras at wimbledon in 9 years. sampras of 1997 probably beats federer of last year, but it would be close and it would not be for want of talent on federer's part. sampras quite simply had the most resilient mentality of any tennis player in history, and that's what made him a wall to play against. having said that, he never won more than 2 majors in one year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hams)
    personally i cant stand Sharapova,s father. there is somthing serously wrong with parents who want their kids to win as much as them!
    Ah Sharapova is great. Her parents sacraficed a lot for her to get where she is

ReputationRep:
    ... so did the parents of Jelena Dokic.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly 'against the run of play' of the thread, but back to the day's play...

Rusedski makes it through to the next round, with a good 4 set win over Jonas Bjorkman.
    Roddick also through, in straight sets.
    Good luck to Henman, as he starts his campaign in a matter of moments.

ReputationRep:
    well henman is into round 2 but i wonder what happened in that 3rd set unfortunately i was in an exam when it happened so i'll have to catch the highlights later!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    Slightly 'against the run of play' of the thread, but back to the day's play...

Rusedski makes it through to the next round, with a good 4 set win over Jonas Bjorkman.
    Roddick also through, in straight sets.
    Good luck to Henman, as he starts his campaign in a matter of moments.
    Can you watch the matches? if not, you know what channels they are on???.....

The BBC usually show the Final of the mens and womens single right??? at like 3 in the morning. :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    Can you watch the matches? if not, you know what channels they are on???.....

The BBC usually show the Final of the mens and womens single right??? at like 3 in the morning. :hmpf:
    On Eurosport.

Regarding the previous post, Henman played well throughout the match. Saulnier just peaked at around about the 3rd and 4th sets. If you watch the match, you'll see that Henman was consistently good. That's why I was particularly disappointed in the way BBC Sport's headline was 'Henman Struggles into next round' or similar. I thought he was always on top, and anyway, Saulnier's a tricky player. Overall, I was impressed with Tim's performance.

ReputationRep:
    celebrities support the team your support?
    well i support newcastle utd, so do ant & dec, john who just came out of the BB house and the biggest celebrity of all-PM tony blair. the only person rules this country is a toon fan, need i say more? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...Stockport's not exactly been a breeding ground for celebrities recently so I can't think of any. The only one I can think of is David Dickinson.

Most Stopfordians are glory hunters and support Manchester City or Manchester United, and tirelessly try to justify their treason by saying they are from Manchester (when they're actually from Stockport). This goes for celebrities too I guess. The guy who played Curly Watts in Coronation St is from Stockport, but supports Manchester City.

ReputationRep:
    I love playing tennis in the Summer months and this year I want to compete. I was wondering where I might get information for entering comps and stuff? Also what sort of price the entry fees are and whether or not I'd be eligible for U18 comps? I'm 18 this year (March).

Cheers for any replys.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't played tournaments for years when I gave up playing seriously but it depends what you want really. Do you already belong to a tennis club? They might have tournaments on or would know local places where you can play. Also, are you a member of the LTA?

ReputationRep:
    Check with your club (if you go to one) about tournaments. I'm guessing the entry fees could be quite varied depending on the competition.
    I played table tennis in the London Youth Games, last year. I'm sorry, but I don't even know where Burton-on-Trent is (probably somewhere far away from London!).

The U-18 thing is probably once again variable, depending on the competition. You may be lucky, in that the rules are you have to be under 18 on January 1st (2005), or they may have some other date.

ReputationRep:
    Tennis is HARDDDDDDD.........its the hardest sport i ever played......when the ball comes to you, it either bounces too high or too low, and it either goes over your head or you end up completly missing it and falling over

The serve is bloody HARDDDDDD as well, you even toss it too high, and it goes like 5 metres away. Even if i manage to toss the ball in a straight line (yeah, right..).......i can't even get a good contact on the ball, and it ends up going behind me, or on the opposite side of where you suppose to serve to.

I have good eye co-ordination and fairly agile and fast, but tennis is toooooooooo hard.....i consider myself an average football and field hockey player, but when it comes to tennis, my grandma can play better then me

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest1984)
    Tennis is HARDDDDDDD.........its the hardest sport i ever played......when the ball comes to you, it either bounces too high or too low, and it either goes over your head or you end up completly missing it and falling over

The serve is bloody HARDDDDDD as well, you even toss it too high, and it goes like 5 metres away. Even if i manage to toss the ball in a straight line (yeah, right..).......i can't even get a good contact on the ball, and it ends up going behind me, or on the opposite side of where you suppose to serve to.

I have good eye co-ordination and fairly agile and fast, but tennis is toooooooooo hard.....i consider myself an average football and field hockey player, but when it comes to tennis, my grandma can play better then me

:rolleyes:
    Haha, aw Practice makes perfect! :p: Half the fun of tennis is when serves or shots go horribly wrong anyway!

I've been playing at a club since I was about 7. I used to play tournaments and take it really seriously, but I was never that good that I could go further with it as there were always people better than me. Now I just play for fun

ReputationRep:
    what the newspapers have been saying is funny; heres some of the headlines:

"The Hogwarts Express served up some magic," wrote John Etheridge, warming to a theme. "He stomped the ground like Shrek and made the ball swerve like a demented boomerang." The Mirror
    (hoggard)

even the daily mail(!)(shock horror) had something to say:

"He exploited the conditions perfectly," it reported. "His ability to swing the ball was richly rewarded with England's best match figures in a Test since Ian Botham claimed 13 for 106 in Bombay a quarter of a century ago."
    any1 see the match? what were his wickets like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestdeceptions)
    Haha, aw Practice makes perfect! :p: Half the fun of tennis is when serves or shots go horribly wrong anyway!

I've been playing at a club since I was about 7. I used to play tournaments and take it really seriously, but I was never that good that I could go further with it as there were always people better than me. Now I just play for fun
    Well, no matter how good you are, there's always someone better then you, unless your Mr Federer of course

I live in South London as well.......maybe you can teach me a trick or two!!!!!! :hello:

LOL.......j/k.......i don't like tennis, i like team games where you can take on an opponent and embarrase them, i.e make them look like a doughnut...... :bootyshak

Besides, in tennis, all you do is serve, forehand, backhand, volley and drop shot.......... :p:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.