The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

chats
i dont care who wins, what a final!

Well, if anything of last year's results is to go by, Federer won in straight sets.

As for Federer - I think Grosjean is capable of testing him. He's the darkhorse.
Reply 921
Invisible
But will he though? I think Schalken is better than Ancic - The reason that many say that Ancic will pose problems is because he beat Henman; but Henman played awful; I would expect many tennis players to have beaten him based on that performance.

but do you remember the roddick-ancic match at queens....ancic ain't no mug that just caught henman on a bad day
mockel
but do you remember the roddick-ancic match at queens....ancic ain't no mug that just caught henman on a bad day

Yes I know, but TBH I think Roddick will win in straight sets. I think his game is too powerful and consistent for Ancic - I think Roddick will cause problems for Federer to.
mockel

Ancic plays the same style of game as Henman, but with a better, more consistent serve and better baseline-rallying skills. So he's kind of like Henman on a good day.

The problem is, Henman on a good day can still get beaten/outclassed by the better players, especially baseliners like Hewitt. Ancic will mostly likely succumb to the pressure of Roddick's relentless serving and decent returning from the baseline. Ancic will have to WORK for his points, something he barely had to do against Henman who gifted him most of his points with poor play.

Ancic beat Henman through playing a reasonable game, and Henman playing a poor game. He will have to play a much better game to guarantee himself a good chance of winning against Roddick - assuming Roddick plays better than Henman did, that is :wink: .
Yer, Hewitt didn't play badly at all - he had the hunger and aggression he showed when he was ranked 1. Yes, he lacked a little in consistency, but that wasn't really why he lost.

Federer played a safe game, rarely going for pacy winners, but playing a slower ball into the spaces and following the lines. He kept changing pace too which, with the disguise had Hewitt on the stretch and once that happened, he had easy shots to put away.

Hewitt needed to go for more winners imo, as so many of Federer's return of serves were quite short + a few returns down the middle. Once the rally got going, you could almost feel Hewitt was going to lose it.
Reply 925
Invisible
Yes I know, but TBH I think Roddick will win in straight sets. I think his game is too powerful and consistent for Ancic - I think Roddick will cause problems for Federer to.

Do Chickens Fly
Ancic plays the same style of game as Henman, but with a better, more consistent serve and better baseline-rallying skills. So he's kind of like Henman on a good day.

The problem is, Henman on a good day can still get beaten/outclassed by the better players, especially baseliners like Hewitt. Ancic will mostly likely succumb to the pressure of Roddick's relentless serving and decent returning from the baseline. Ancic will have to WORK for his points, something he barely had to do against Henman who gifted him most of his points with poor play.

Ancic beat Henman through playing a reasonable game, and Henman playing a poor game. He will have to play a much better game to guarantee himself a good chance of winning against Roddick - assuming Roddick plays better than Henman did, that is :wink: .

I also agree that roddick will beat ancic, probably in straight sets, but they should be close. i was merely saying that one should not assume that this will be a walk in the park for roddick (and not just becasue ancic beat henman).
Reply 926
Ok I think I'm coming to terms with my berevement, as I finally have the sub forum I ORIGINALLY CAMPAIGNED and asked for!
Reply 927
Lord Huntroyde
Loads of people are ruling Greece out! They've beaten everyone they've been asked to and have already beaten Portugal - they were ruled out before the tournament, nobody thought they'd beat France and no one thought they'd beat the Czechs, I think Portugal will just win, but prediction of 4 - 0 are stupid.

LOL sorry i'll change my prediction to 2-1 and btw i am not loaded
Reply 928
chats
LOL sorry i'll change my prediction to 2-1 and btw i am not loaded

what do you mean?
Reply 929
Lord Huntroyde
what do you mean?

for some apparant reason you thought i was rich :confused:
Reply 930
Well...here's the breaking news everyone....looks like chelsea have found their replacement striker..comments/opinions????

http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?id=211857

G
gzftan
Well...here's the breaking news everyone....looks like chelsea have found their replacement striker..comments/opinions????

http://www.chelseafc.com/article.asp?id=211857

G

What a let down. He's a good player, but not exactly a top man.

At least my team are still in the running. :smile:
Reply 932
mobbdeeprob
What a let down. He's a good player, but not exactly a top man.

At least my team are still in the running. :smile:

Your team?!?!

I dunno...i get what you're saying about him not being one of the world's best, but if you look at previous signings like the hyped up Crespo...hasn't really shown proper form. Maybe with Kezman, Chelsea will find a consistent scorer...

G
Reply 933
David Millar, Britain's top cyclist, has admitted taking EPO in the past. Another gold at Athens out of the window

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/other_sports/cycling/3859679.stm
Reply 934
I think ranking gives a rough indication and no more. I mean look at Ancic- he is an unseeded played and seemed to beat Henman with relative ease. I think Henman was having a bad day. He has proved that he does have the desire to win as in many matches, where it seemed likely that he would go out, he turned the tables and won. That takes skill and mental strength.
On the other hand I still doubt whether he could beat the likes of Federer, Hewitt and Roddick. Though if they were not playing at their best and he was I think he could win.
I have a lot of respect for all that Henman has done and hope that he gets the chance to win a grand slam. I didn't vote for either option as I don't totally believe in either.
Reply 935
James Milner to Newcastle
Mark Viduka to Middlesborough
Kezman to Chelsea
Reply 936
The Leeds exodus continues as James Milner joins Newcastle in £5million deal and Mark Viduka joins Middlesborouh for £4 million.

Chelsea agree an undisclosed fee for PSV striker Mateja Kezman, beating a host of clubs to his signature.

Spurs have revealed they have rejected several offers for Helder Postiga, who wants talks with the management to discuss his future at the club. Barcelona have also revealed that Luis Enrique is a target for Spurs.

Edgar Davids is another target for Spurs, with Liverpool are rivalling them for his signature, though Inter Milan are still favourites to sign him.

And that is today's transfer news!
Reply 937
Isn't anyone interested in cycling?
Eggy Hog
Isn't anyone interested in cycling?

Nope.

I can safely say that I've spent more time reading articles on Lance Armstrong than watching the sport on television, which isn't hard, because I don't watch it. :smile:
Reply 939
mobbdeeprob
Nope.

I can safely say that I've spent more time reading articles on Lance Armstrong than watching the sport on television, which isn't hard, because I don't watch it. :smile:

I can't blame you really. Unless you really enjoy cycling, watching it on TV must be deadly :biggrin:
The tour de france is starting this saturday so it might get a little more coverage on TV

Latest