Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Just as well he's not been around too long because Arsenal used to be not as big as they are now. With Manchester United and Liverpool being the big guns, depending how far back you wish to go. Last time I looked Liverpool won the most silverware, no idea if this is still true now.
    Yup Liverpool still the most successful club in English football having been champions the most times,won the FA cup more times than any other team (Man U in second place) and comfortably top in terms of European trophies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    I'm not so sure. They'll be getting:

- prize money
    - TV coverage money from Sky
    - season tickets and gates
    - merchandise sales
    - their ground is a hotel (!!)

So I reckon they'll have a fair income. If they do end up with a deficit (expenditure > income) I'm pretty sure someone will prop them up with loans/underwriting (a la most clubs in fact), because they're pretty much guaranteed a load of the above monies in the future too.

they had all of that before Roman came along and were in mountains of debt, surely if he left they would be left with the same problem, the only differences being a greater wage bill but they would be left with more sellable assests.

ReputationRep:
    Chelsea are where they are not because of the money but because of their team spirit. Jose has done this he brought to them the belief they can do it, just as Arsenal believed last year. To be fair didnt Raneri sign up Robben before Roman took over?
    Man Utd are still the club with the most money and in the tables Chelsea are about 5th behind both Man Utd and Arsenal!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Yup Liverpool still the most successful club in English football having been champions the most times,won the FA cup more times than any other team (Man U in second place) and comfortably top in terms of European trophies.
    Amazing this is still the case considering the last time I looked was in a Merlin sticker book collection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by an Siarach)
    Religion is not a motivation, simply an excuse. Consider the trouble which may follow an Old Firm game as little more than a more historically aware equivalent to the type of hooligan conflict you would get between teams such as Millwall/Cardiff/Chelsea.
    No your wrong. Religion is the motivation. You dont know how bad it is up here. People are murdered walking through "Protestant" areas for being Catholics. And if you think the trouble is the same as Millwall etc, you really dont have a clue. Rangers/Celtic fans smashed up a whole street of windows in a recent games, murders are common, widespread fights take place EVERYwhere and they even causesd widespread distruption in a Scottish Cup Final with all the fans invading the park.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go Downing, Gerrard (capt), Lampard, SRPhillips, for next month against Holland.

but once again, Sven has cemented his place in the first 11, and suggested that wright phillips will play on the left, which is silly imo.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ls/4189197.stm

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard would make a better leader I reckon

but i dont think Beckham will be dropped whilst Sven is in charge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by endeavour)
    Personally I'd go Downing, Gerrard (capt), Lampard, SRPhillips, for next month against Holland.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    John Terry for captain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Messiah)
    GO check your stats and see which team spent more this season, Barcelona or Real. then look for a bed and sleep...
    but overall in the last few season together.....

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt have him anymore. Gerrard is a natural leader and obvious choice but has not produced his best for England.

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard without a doubt. If not gerrard then lampard.

ahead of beckham id have gerrard, lampard, rio, neville and sol campbell. beckham is a world class player on his day, he is not a leader.

ReputationRep:
    Roman wouldn't have invested so much of his money if he was to walk away within months of doing so. He did look around at various clubs and thought that Chelsea would be the better investment. If he were to die and had he not made a will, there would be close realtives that the estate would get shared out to. His shares in Chelsea would be sold and Chelsea would continue as before.

ReputationRep:
    Beckham as captain.......no......Beckham on the starting 11, yes.......his leadership quality are terrible, he speaks like a wuss, and can't command or contol the players. I would say the goal keeper or defence should get the captain, they order the starting 11 and see the game from the back.

No doubt SW phillips and downing are excellent players, but i wouldn't push them into the deep end, especially downing who doesn't have Cap yet.....He will soon tho!!!!!!

Premiership and international level are very different for example, Beattie, Andy cole, Robbie fowler and Vassell are good at premiership levea, but can't step it on at international at. Your playing in a different team against different oppositions, you don't know the game, playing style of your team mates.

I would give WP and downing 10-20 mins max per game, and if they perform well, then give them more mins or hand them a full debut.

my starting midfield would be joe cole(he's possibly england's best player on the left!!!) lampard gerrald and beckham.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    The feud would be interesting/amusing if they were contesting at the very top of the league, but as they're being owned, it's just daft.
    You can still find it amusing even if they are being owned, since people support the team above those two

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...437290,00.html

A while ago now, but £420...

ReputationRep:
    Only £420?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    robinson?
    Found this too
    -----------------------------------

Andy Robinson also insisted that he was not looking to lure any of the Rhinos stars over to the union: "It's important this relationship is built on trust," he said. "We'll be totally open with each other. We're not here to sign Kevin Sinfield and Danny McGuire."."

ReputationRep:
    you are implying that if roman "walked away" from chelsea, they would be in trouble? somehow i cannot see him writing of a £300 million pound investment! he would only leave if the club was sold, therefore there would be no problems

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Only £420?!
    What a joke!! I think reduced number of spots for europe/matches behind closed doors would be more apropaite.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.