Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    ive never heard as much c*** as this statement in my life , sorry im guessing its something you learnt in a biology class but are incorrectly applying to training

fast twich and slow twitch are two seperate fibres so improving slow twitch (endurance) cannot hinder fast twitch
    i've never taken biology in my life...however the way I learnt it is that they maybe different fibres but one only has so many in total. Why else do you think high profile sprinters never take part in marathons for charity even between seasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    Im un-sure on the effect of endurance training on fast-twitch muscle fibres, but I will say this:

Doing long runs(endurance work) promotes a physiological response to adapt to this, meaning your body will become more efficient at running. So, imagine running for an hour today, and say your heart-rate is on average 160bpm for the duration of the run. Now, if you were to do this regularly, after many weeks of training it might be 150bpm on average, to do exactly the same run - hence your body requires less energy to do the same effort.

This, as you can imagine, is nothing but a good thing if you want to be able to run fast for any sort of duration.

Having said that, 200m is a sprint, and is an extremely short race, and I would imagine it is mostly anaerobic, therefore doing long runs at a low intensity could be absolutely pointless..

Basically - ask your coach(if you have one) and if you dont, get one.
    I'd go along with that except that it might still be useful if you are overweight (to the level that it slows your sprinting down) however basic interval training is probably better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpunderaboat)
    I'd go along with that except that it might still be useful if you are overweight (to the level that it slows your sprinting down) however basic interval training is probably better.
    I would agree that interval training is likely to be better, the problem comes with the fact that interval training is exhaustive, and produces lactic acid, if you did it daily you would quickly overtrain, so what other kind of training do sprinters do? Especially as an average interval session takes about 30 minutes, and sprinters train for several hours a day(I would imagine?) ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vishpatel)
    yes mourinho was a huge factor but i would have loved 2 seen wot he could have done on a limited budget in the premiership!!

I agree. I think it would have been only a matter of time before he enjoyed lots of success though. He did win the UEFA Cup and then the Champions' League on a limited budget - on a fraction of what teams like Madrid, Manchester United, Milan etc. could afford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I would agree that interval training is likely to be better, the problem comes with the fact that interval training is exhaustive, and produces lactic acid, if you did it daily you would quickly overtrain, so what other kind of training do sprinters do? Especially as an average interval session takes about 30 minutes, and sprinters train for several hours a day(I would imagine?) ?
    To be honest I don't really know but at a guess they must do **** loads of weights, both upper and lower body but probably only a handful of reps... maybe some short very intense circuits?

ReputationRep:
    Do a beep test... go on...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by padraic)
    I agree. I think it would have been only a matter of time before he enjoyed lots of success though. He did win the UEFA Cup and then the Champions' League on a limited budget - on a fraction of what teams like Madrid, Manchester United, Milan etc. could afford.
    Exactly. I don't know what Porto were like before he came, but when other managers say they respect him for his success there has to be reasons for this.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh how good is this final? Who does everyone want to win? Hewitt for me obviously :love: I forgot how powerful his shots are! Safin's doing well fighting back

ReputationRep:
    Great win for Safin but so frustrating. When he plays like he did in the last set he is as good as Federer in my opinion but he is so inconsistent. He was a changed man from the first set.

ReputationRep:
    Safin is awesome!

ReputationRep:
    Safin really did play well (loved his speech as well!), but I was rooting for Hewitt, who I believe is a far more consistent player. Would have been so great for him to win in his homeland, but there's always next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Safin is awesome!
    Yeah Safin was really incredible! :eek:
    ...Seems like a really nice guy aswell!

ReputationRep:
    I know looking at that video it's hard to believe but there's been similar things said about the likes of Sonny Pike and people - who knows what could happen.

Brazil do have an incredible record with youngsters hitting the big time while still young though - first the likes of Ronaldo, then Ronadinho, then Diego and Robinho, now Tardelli and Rafinha and now this little fella.

Good luck to him, I just hope he doesn't sign for a proper club till he's 17 like most 'normal' children.

ReputationRep:
    i dont get it what was so great about his speech?

was he making fun of Hewit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hams)
    i dont get it what was so great about his speech?

was he making fun of Hewit?
    Not really, just the way he congratulated Hewitt's "gang" for supporting him, etc and how he kept asking "Am I right?" I just found it pretty funny.

ReputationRep:
    That's seriously amazing.. imagine how good he's gonna be when he's older...

ReputationRep:
    I would've preferred hewitt to win but safin played gr8 tennis and deserved to win

ReputationRep:
    3rd time lucky for Marat :cool: great game, I just wish it went to five sets but Safin was on fire just too powerful and accurate like when he blew Samprass of the court in the final of the Usopen 01. Now he has 1 month off :mad: lucky him!

ReputationRep:
    *SMIRKS* Lleyton lost...

ReputationRep:
    anybody interested in Ice Hockey Wold Champrionship 2005 as much as me? this year it's prety much obvious who will proceed from the preliminary round (kind of boring)...so the real excitment will come with the (second) qualification round : )

check this 4more information if u want : ))

http://web1.icehockey2005.com/

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.