Turn on thread page Beta

Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    naseem did enough when he was in his prime to be ranked with the greatest, it all went downhill when he sacked his coach, but still he WAS unbeatable

Stadium of Light (Sunderland) and Gerland (Lyon).

ReputationRep:
    Expression my good mod-man, should this thread be moved perhaps?

ReputationRep:
    Serena of the old ie before her knee injury and other probs would definatley have kicked Sharipova in the butt. Serena was clearly not at her best (anybody could see that) and although Sharipova played well for a 17 year old, I don't think she was *that* amazing. The fact that Serena hadn't played that many matches this year, shows ALOT.
    I know some people thought this was "a classic", but I definatley don't agree. The first set was hardly tight and the match was over very quickly. The second set was much better, but it looked like Serena has just not had enough practise to instantly know where the ball should go, like she we've seen her do before.
    I was pretty disappointed in the match tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Portugal-England and Spain-Portugal both from Euro 2004

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BossLady)
    I was pretty disappointed in the match tbh.
    well, it weren't that bad....especially when you compare it to the women's final at the French Open!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    well, it weren't that bad....especially when you compare it to the women's final at the French Open!!
    Were they even trying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)
    Were they even trying?
    you mean the french....well myskina was, don't know what happened to dementieva...

ReputationRep:
    leeroy whats wrong wid u.

naseem was good but not great. He fought second rate fighters but he fought marco antonio barrera, and he was worldwide legend and whipped him.

im sorry to say this but I havent seem a decent british boxer ever. some were good, but they always got whipped when fighting abroad.

I think the very best were:

1)rocky marciano
    2)roy jones junior - my personal favourite-research this guy and u will know why!!! amazing!!!
    3)oscar dela hoya
    4)muhammed ali
    5)sugar ray leonard.

ReputationRep:
    nayim! 50 yards! enuff said.

ReputationRep:
    Got to agree with everything already mentioned:

Liverpool 4 -3 Newcastle

Man Utd 2 - 1 Bayern Munich

Czech Rep 3 - 2 Holland

But I've got to also mention Middlesbrough and Birmingham, last season. A truly amazing match. Me and 30,000 others saw one of the most bizaare matches ever. About 5 minutes in, and Mendieta scores, added to later by Maccarone. Forssell manages to get one back literally seconds after, but Southgate scores another from a goalmouth scramble. 3-1, and the board is held up for first half injury time. Maccarone gets the ball in the Birmingham half, and scores one of the most spectacular (of fluky) goals of the season. Superb - the crowd go wild. But then, straight from kick off, Birmingham go right down the other end and Morrison scores. 4-2 half time. Not only goals galore and flowing football from end to end, but good goals -really good goals.
    Second half, and Forssell scores again, and for the last 20 minutes Boro are forced to sitback and defend. Its getting nervous for the fans, who sense an inevitable Birmingham equaliser, but then, Matthew Upson makes one of the funniest, weirdest, 'wtf was he doing' mistakes ever and tries to head a ball that is quite literally rolling along the ground back to his keeper. He slips, Nemeth pops up, rounds the keeper - 5-3. Amazing. And not only that, Forsell put in the best performance from an opposition player at the Riverside that season. He was fantastic. It's just lucky we had Mark Schwarzer, who made literally at least 5 WORLD CLASS saves from him. Maccarone was good too.

And while I'm thinking about it, we were also winning Leicester 1-0 last season, and then Job missed a penalty. Leicester went on to score 3 times and were singing "1-0, and you f***** it up, 1-0.....". 90th minute and most of the crowd has left, unfortunately for them they missed not only our 2 goals in the 94th minute but the rather hilarious (for me at least) chants of "3-1, and you f***** it up, 3-1..."

Ahhhh.....memories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    so true....that was rubbbiiiish hehe

ReputationRep:
    I hope one of them uses agrressive serve and volley tactics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invisible)

My prediction: Federer to win in straight sets.
    mine too! he's incredible!

ReputationRep:
    Hehe... I kind of know him as well. He used to go to the same tennis club as me.

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how some peoples consideration cannot extend what has happened in the past few weeks.

ReputationRep:
    Games I've seen live is quite easy...

1.) Yeading 0-5 Aylesbury United (FAC 4Q) 2001
    2.) Aylesbury United 3-2 Billericay (Ryman Premier 2003, score 0-2 after 80mins)

ReputationRep:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by safc26
    eg:...?

i'm not too sure but maybe pride park? it was built around the same time or before ''stadium of light''

The Riverside Stadium. Officially the first stadium in Europe to be built to comply with the Taylor report, published after the Hillsborough disaster, completed in 1995.

Derby County, Southampton, and Sunderland all bought the designs off us, as it is a lot cheaper than commissioning designers to do the same thing. There was a problem with Southampton's though, I can't really remember, but I think it was something like they wanted to use a firm to build it that couldn't follow the designs for some reason, so they modified the design slightly.

Pride Park and the Stadium of Light are literally copies of The Riverside, St Mary's is based on it.

But........back to the original question......The Millennium Stadium by far, made better by the fact I saw us win in it

ReputationRep:
    Cantona Kung Fu

ReputationRep:
    Had a tour of the Stade de France, which was extremely impressive. Little underground road network under the stadium, and a mini hospital for match days. Very modern looking and clean, unlike the old Wembley. It's nearly as good as Sincil Bank, in fact

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 6, 2005
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.