Eggy Hog
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
its really not that bad, the record
care to enlighten me?
Mind I am talking about current sportsmen and women - not people who retired over a century ago.
mc_watson87
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
I personally find that track record appallingly meagre - we therefore agree to differ!
Granted world champions at Rugby Union is an achievement - in what other high profile sports to GB (or England, Wales, or Scotland) really excel?
Football? please ...
Tennis? please ...
Most major sports? please ...
Wat u on about, England are quality at football!!

Fifa rankings: (June's ranking in brackets)
1. (1) Brazil 835 points
2. (2) France 813
3. (3) Spain 792
4. (11) Czech Republic 762
5. (5) Netherlands 748
6. (4) Mexico 743
7. (9) United States 735
8. (13) England 733

ONly behing wicked teams in the standings! (bar 2)
And we have done really well in the last 2 major competitions and been very unlucky.
stu_uk_aussie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I somewhat have a mixed view of Sport:

Football: Sure our National team doesnt live up to our exepectations, but look at the positive sides of our domestic game we hav ethe best league in Europe-ok admittedly because of so many foreigners coming over here to play but shouldnt we take that as a sign of respect at the way we run English Football.

Cricket: One Dayers we have struggled but too be honest I expected that, Test Match rankings we are 3rd in the world which is a great achievement if we manage to win the test series with the Windies in the summer and then in the winter have a decent tour of S.Africa we will go 2nd in the world, which leaves a showdown next year with Australia.

Rugby Union: We won the world Cup and since then we have been awful but that always happens after a team wins the world cup because alot of the senior players retire because they dont have much of a challenge anymor ethey have won the best thing.

Tennis: Tim will never win Wimbeldon we just have too hope he has a decent time on the circuit this year.

F1: Button is coming through and is a good driver, with a better car and a better engine I feel he could challenge and maybe win once Schumacher has gone.

Its not all bad nws although admittedly Athletics has gone wrong for us, but I cant watch it anymore because of all the drug rows, makes you think did he actually win that on talent.
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
...The expected response. Of course ODIs won't matter, when you sit down to watch your former subjects pit it out for the spoils - in your own country.

The four forthcoming Tests will not be a formality. Expect to be pleasantly surprised .

I look forward to the Edgbaston Test and hope that history repeats itself, as it so often does. The last series was a blip - it will be corrected.
England don't have the best of records at Edgbaston do they? I seem to remember them getting destroyed last time around, and I can only hope for a similar result come the 29th of July.

A few choice cuttings:

West Indies (397) beat England (179 & 125) by an innings and 93 runs

"Not since 1973 have England managed to score 300 in one innings against West Indies at Edgbaston."
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by mc_watson87)
Wat u on about, England are quality at football!!

Fifa rankings: (June's ranking in brackets)
1. (1) Brazil 835 points
2. (2) France 813
3. (3) Spain 792
4. (11) Czech Republic 762
5. (5) Netherlands 748
6. (4) Mexico 743
7. (9) United States 735
8. (13) England 733

ONly behing wicked teams in the standings! (bar 2)
And we have done really well in the last 2 major competitions and been very unlucky.
Do England excel at Football?
The honest answer is NO ..... unfortunately
Excellent teams win trophies and beat teams like Lichtenstein by more than 2 goals
stu_uk_aussie
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
England dont have a good record at Edgbaston full stop.

I think England willw in but now you've raised that im not sure it will be a formality as Harmison and co might struggle on slightly slower pitches.
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I admit it isn't completely bleak, NEVERTHELESS ....

(Original post by stu_uk_aussie)
we hav ethe best league in Europe-ok admittedly because of so many foreigners coming over here to play but shouldnt we take that as a sign of respect at the way we run English Football.
Come on... I believe the Italian and Spanish leagues are better regarded. All the foreigners come over due to the financial muscle of English clubs

Cricket: One Dayers we have struggled but too be honest I expected that, Test Match rankings we are 3rd in the world which is a great achievement if we manage to win the test series with the Windies in the summer and then in the winter have a decent tour of S.Africa we will go 2nd in the world, which leaves a showdown next year with Australia.
What about India and Pakistan? Can't say I really keep up with the cricket but I would rank them higher than England

Rugby Union: We won the world Cup and since then we have been awful but that always happens after a team wins the world cup because alot of the senior players retire because they dont have much of a challenge anymor ethey have won the best thing.
Apparently, of all the teams that won the world cup, England have been the "worst" world champions - ie no other team has lost so many games or performed as badly after winning the title.
This is actually a fact ...
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Excellent teams win trophies
[cough] Le Tournoi [/cough]
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[cough] Le Tournoi [/cough]
sorry never heard of it ...
I don't mean that as a criticism but I genuinely haven't heard of it .... but I don't really follow Football though!
What is it btw?
mobbdeeprob
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
England dont have a good record at Edgbaston full stop.

I think England willw in but now you've raised that im not sure it will be a formality as Harmison and co might struggle on slightly slower pitches.
Several Windies batsmen really let the side down back in the Caribbean - the inexperienced bowlers were touted as the weak link, and for the most part they did quite well. As you say, the slow pitches will be a factor. I personally believe that the Windies batting attack, on its day, can compete with any in the world and I'm expecting some big scores!

I went to Edgbaston to see a West Indies youth side (think it was U19) play England about two years ago and Devon Smith was by far the outstanding player, he is a truly talented bat - and is yet to show his full potential.

I can't deny that Harmison is a world class bowler. Vaughan, Flintoff, Strauss and Geraint Jones would have to be mentioned as crucial England performers too. Outside of this core, I can't really see anything that special about the England setup. I think that too many England players are unfit, as evidenced by the present NatWest series.

There seems to be a pretty packed fixture schedule over the coming months, so England may be fatigued too! Should be a good series later this summer.
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
sorry never heard of it ...
I don't mean that as a criticism but I genuinely haven't heard of it .... but I don't really follow Football though!
What is it btw?
Minor pre-tournament warm up to France 98, don't even think there was a trophy . But we won it, against the likes of Brazil, France, Italy. :cool:
Eggy Hog
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Minor pre-tournament warm up to France 98, don't even think there was a trophy . But we won it, against the likes of Brazil, France etc. :cool:
allright okay
I think minor nevertheless is the crucial word here
mc_watson87
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
allright okay
I think minor nevertheless is the crucial word here
There was a small trophy though, and we beat Italy 2-0 and France 1-0.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
vs T20I's.

Personally I'm looking forward to the Twenty20 Internationals - THAT will make entertaining viewing, and maybe turn some of the fair weather support around by producing a good spectacle, and a party atmosphere for the crowd; if only by the aggressive game that is required for the teams (and the concept) to be successful.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
We also could have won the European Championships in athletics, had we not dropped the baton in the 4 x 400m relay!

We seem to be untouchable in snooker and darts, presumably because they are pub things
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Frank Arnesen's former protege Ronaldo has backed the Dane to be a big hit in his new role as sporting director at Spurs - and hinted he may now fancy a move to White Hart Lane himself.

Brazil striker Ronaldo was brought to European football as a teenager by Arnesen during his time at PSV Eindhoven before moving on to Inter Milan and Real Madrid.

Ronaldo, 27, told The Sun: "Frank will be like a breath of fresh air and bigger clubs will be sorry they did not bring him over before.

"I've often said I want to play in England and that remains the case.

"Frank going to Tottenham makes me think of England again and it would be ideal to work under him"
-Ronaldo

"Frank going to Tottenham makes me think of England again and it would be ideal to work under him. He is the man who discovered me and has been like a father to me since.

"Now he is going to work in England it reignites my interest in playing in the Premiership."
similar stories:

http://www.tribalfootball.com/july/e...ws6090704.html
http://www.skysports.com/skysports/a...142317,00.html

any chance?
Bigcnee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hahahahahahahahahahah. But seriously....
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Id take that about as seriously as the time he said hed go to Rangers for **** Advocaat.
material breach
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by eddiedaboss)
wait to they see their annual wage bill!

the problem within football is that it is all too easy to sign 'top class' players on fat wages as all you think about is that you'll become a top team, not taking into consideration the amount of expensive flops that have plagued the premiership and have led to the financial troubles present

For example, a Boro fan would be thinking that their team now have a great chance to challenge for the champions league places and a good uefa/FA cup run.
But that has been the danger in the game, over optimism.
Indeed however the wage bill under maclaren has come down considereable compared to the bryn robson days, also the club is actually alot richer compared to then due to actually win the carling cup and a good league finish. So money is less of a problem now than it has been in the past for Boro, They also have new sponsorship from www.888.com which is a gambling website and I am wondering as a side issue whether any one has any views on that?
james101
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Looks like Real Madrid want him aswell, Florentino Perez has said he will do everything he can to get hin if the manager wants him, also another Presidential candidate also said he will get him if he is elected president on Sunday. Is there a club who doesnt want him, imagine he playing for Real Madrid, i dont think he would move abroad especially if he wants to be with his family, he ruled out a move to Chelsea because it was too far away, so i doubt he will move abroad. Who knows he might stay at Everton.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (153)
59.3%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.26%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed