Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
an Siarach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Zapsta)
Yes. He's at West Ham. And Michael Brown cannot pass. Or run with the ball. Or shoot. Or do anything at all when in possession. Comparing him to Beckham or Keane is, well, stupid to the extreme.
Indeed it is and i was diong nothing of the sort, i merely pointed out that the description of him could easily be matched to beckham or keane and that being willing to run your heart out as your main attribute isnt really a weakness.
Zapsta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by an Siarach)
Indeed it is and i was diong nothing of the sort, i merely pointed out that the description of him could easily be matched to beckham or keane and that being willing to run your heart out as your main attribute isnt really a weakness.
No... not being able to do anything else is though. In both of the previous posts I pointed out that he has little ability on the ball. That's what means he shouldn't have a place in the team.
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Sports Soccer do a Fearnley shirt for £5/8 and trousers for £8/10/12 if memory serves correctly
teamvillage
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
[QUOTE=mobbdeeprob]
I can't deny that Harmison is a world class bowler. Vaughan, Flintoff, Strauss and Geraint Jones would have to be mentioned as crucial England performers too. Outside of this core, I can't really see anything that special about the England setup.[QUOTE]

If I were Marcus Trescothick, I would feel a little hard done by that analysis.
theaman
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No... not being able to do anything else is though. In both of the previous posts I pointed out that he has little ability on the ball. That's what means he shouldn't have a place in the team.
His dsitribtuion does need to be worked on, but then again long passes is not his actual job anyway. Pleat played him out of position as a defensive midfielder. He is actually an attcking midfielder, and when we went forward in games with him in the team, he did pose a threat to the opposition.

Brown was easily the best tackler in the midfield last season, and matches Vieira in the Arsenal game near the end of the season.

And work-rate is important for a player - and Brown has lots of that, especially in the midfield department.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
His dsitribtuion does need to be worked on, but then again long passes is not his actual job anyway. Pleat played him out of position as a defensive midfielder. He is actually an attcking midfielder, and when we went forward in games with him in the team, he did pose a threat to the opposition.

Brown was easily the best tackler in the midfield last season, and matches Vieira in the Arsenal game near the end of the season.

And work-rate is important for a player - and Brown has lots of that, especially in the midfield department.
It's not long passing that I'm really concerned about. Short passing is an issue though. Yes, he was an attacking midfielder at Sheffield Utd, but did you at any stage last season see him give any indication of how he got all those goals there? It's unbelievable. It's pretty clear that he's a First Division (Championship) player. Can you really not see my point that playing him in the same midfield as Davis would be completely pointless?
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Man Utd are still officially the richest club - much of Chelsea's supposed wealth currently resides in Roman's account, not Chelsea's.
LH
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Maybe when he's 36.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It's not long passing that I'm really concerned about. Short passing is an issue though. Yes, he was an attacking midfielder at Sheffield Utd, but did you at any stage last season see him give any indication of how he got all those goals there? It's unbelievable. It's pretty clear that he's a First Division (Championship) player. Can you really not see my point that playing him in the same midfield as Davis would be completely pointless?
But he was being played out of position!

Pleat wanted him to stay back and defend, and let Redknapp go up and support the forwards, which he didn't really do so much.

When Brown did go forward, he did provide some chances for the strikers.

When he is played in the right position, I'm sure he can create and score more goals than he has done.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by theaman)
But he was being played out of position!

Pleat wanted him to stay back and defend, and let Redknapp go up and support the forwards, which he didn't really do so much.

When Brown did go forward, he did provide some chances for the strikers.

When he is played in the right position, I'm sure he can create and score more goals than he has done.
No, he was not playing out of position. We did not say to him "Go and play defensive midfield". He was playing alongside King for most of the time, for Christ's sake. He was playing in central midfield in a flat 4-4-2. He is not a Premiership player. That's it. Doesn't look like he's going to get a chance now anyway, although recent events have left me immensely pissed off.
james101
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
yep thats true.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Really... really... depressed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Really... really... depressed.
what!
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
what!
When we signed Davis, I was kind of half pleased. He was doing well at the time that Everton tried to sign him (well, did sign him, kind of) but his career has stalled slightly. So I was slightly sceptical, but still for £3mil it was a good deal.

Then we sell Postiga, a technically brilliant player who in many people's eyes could go on to become world class, and as part of the deal buy a player who, despite playing for the Champions' League winners, was hardly a star in a team which pretty much consisted of average players, driven to success by a brilliant manager, for 6 times the amount that Porto paid for him only a year ago. In addition, this is after weeks of Spurs telling us that Postiga would not be sold, including denying a statement from Porto that we'd offered Postiga to them as part of a deal for Nuno Valente, and in fact stating that it was Porto that had tried to instigate the deal. If Postiga was truly unhappy in England and wanted to go home, they should have just said this in the first place instead of leading the fans on. It also means that, unless we sign a world class striker to replace him, which I seriously doubt, Robbie Keane will automatically start up front in nearly every game next season.

This reaction may just be as a result of being linked strongly with massive names such as Davids, and I may be living up to the stereotype of Spurs fans never being happy, but I'm really not pleased by todays events.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
When we signed Davis, I was kind of half pleased. He was doing well at the time that Everton tried to sign him (well, did sign him, kind of) but his career has stalled slightly. So I was slightly sceptical, but still for £3mil it was a good deal.

Then we sell Postiga, a technically brilliant player who in many people's eyes could go on to become world class, and as part of the deal buy a player who, despite playing for the Champions' League winners, was hardly a star in a team which pretty much consisted of average players, driven to success by a brilliant manager, for 6 times the amount that Porto paid for him only a year ago. In addition, this is after weeks of Spurs telling us that Postiga would not be sold, including denying a statement from Porto that we'd offered Postiga to them as part of a deal for Nuno Valente, and in fact stating that it was Porto that had tried to instigate the deal. If Postiga was truly unhappy in England and wanted to go home, they should have just said this in the first place instead of leading the fans on. It also means that, unless we sign a world class striker to replace him, which I seriously doubt, Robbie Keane will automatically start up front in nearly every game next season.

This reaction may just be as a result of being linked strongly with massive names such as Davids, and I may be living up to the stereotype of Spurs fans never being happy, but I'm really not pleased by todays events.
I kind of agree with you here, but we have signed some good players though.

I was excited at the prospect of Postiga causing problems for English defences, and I just hope they have got it right, with their priorities in midfield, and they haven't gone too far with it.

But Davis is a good, young player, who is another one that could chalenge for an England place at some point. Mendes, is a good midfielder, and hopefully, he will add options, as Arnesen says.

If Rebrov doesn't get any action, then we may be in the market for another striker. If not, then Mark Yeates, who was excellent against Wolves in the last game of the season, could start getting games.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

youve got pedro mendes - is he any good?
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
youve got pedro mendes - is he any good?
Difficult to say, but as I said, he hardly shone in a Porto side that was more or less filled with average players anyway, with a few notable exceptions. We're also paying 6 times what Porto paid for him only a year ago.
theaman
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
No, he was not playing out of position. We did not say to him "Go and play defensive midfield". He was playing alongside King for most of the time, for Christ's sake. He was playing in central midfield in a flat 4-4-2. He is not a Premiership player. That's it. Doesn't look like he's going to get a chance now anyway, although recent events have left me immensely pissed off.
King and Brown played together when Brown first came into the Premiership.
and he lacked, and probably still does, lack Premiership experience.

Most of the games he played were alongside Redknapp though.

Hopefully, as he settles in to the team, he will become a better Premiership player.
Zapsta
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Signed.
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
United have the financial capacity to bring Rooney to OT, but our squad is pretty much set, especially in the centre-forward positions. We would like Rooney, who wouldn't, but we don't need him. Besides, the big reason for our financial success is the stability of being sensible with our money. Chelsea seemingly don't need to run as tight a ship with Roman around. But Rooney won't go there. So he's staying at Everton, at least until January.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (66)
23.4%
No (216)
76.6%

Watched Threads