Archive SPTM/0001/REC/HPOO Watch

This discussion is closed.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by goldenbarnes)
The only way he will improve now is if he goes to Man Utd. No offence to Everton, but I think he's learned all he can/will there. A move to Chelsea would destroy his career, similarly a move abroad. So that leaves (really) Arsenal and Man Utd - either would further his career so so much and benefit him no end. Arsenal......I doubt very much. I hope for his sake he goes to Man Utd.
Chelsea would not destroy his career
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by SiAnY)
I think he's a bit young to move abroad and play for a foreign team, but if they want him they can have him, then maybe everyone will stop going on about him!
A move abroad didn't help Robbie Keane much.
I heard on 5live that they were trying to bribe Rooney into staying by saying he'd be made captain. That's crazy!
~Sam~
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Liverpool Vs AS Roma, 3rd August, Giants Stadium, New Jersey

Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
Waiting for brother to confim his flight.....

Liverpool Vs Porto, July 30th, SkyDome, Toronto

I originally wanted to go to the Celtic game but my brother couldn't get the time off and I didn't fancy it on my own!!! :rolleyes:
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Leekey)

I originally wanted to go to the Celtic game but my brother couldn't get the time off and I didn't fancy it on my own!!! :rolleyes:
I'm going to the Roma game because we're on holiday in New York at the time so it's easy to get to New Jersey. The Giants stadium is massive! I just hope there's a good atmosphere since it will be half empty.

I'm row 23! My dad almost had a heart attack when he saw the price of four tickets!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by ~Sam~)
I'm going to the Roma game because we're on holiday in New York at the time so it's easy to get to New Jersey. The Giants stadium is massive! I just hope there's a good atmosphere since it will be half empty.

I'm row 23! My dad almost had a heart attack when he saw the price of four tickets!
Lucky you, I'm going as part of my B'day present from my brother therefore it shall be a huge drinking trip with the football in there to break it up!!!
~Sam~
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lucky you, I'm going as part of my B'day present from my brother therefore it shall be a huge drinking trip with the football in there to break it up!!!
Lol it sounds like you're the lucky one! It will be a complete non-drinking holiday for me on the grounds that I won't be able to get served anywhere!
jediknight007
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
Chelsea would not destroy his career
Well, I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Ambramovich got bored with him after a year and replaced him with a new striker.
Xenon
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

I'm in toronto on that date as well. Although I don't support 'Pool, it would be fun to go watch. Hmmmm, I wonder if my cousins have thought of booking tickets for it. I doubt it!
Recusant
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eggy Hog)
Another example is the ongoing Tour de France; France and Italy both have about 15 cyclists competing while the GB has none.
GB is actually doing very well in one cycling discipline and that's downhill mountain biking. Steve Peat has won the World Cup this year. And if I recall correctly he one the Championship cup a couple of years ago too.
Nima
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Who cares? Sport is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, competitive sport tends to kill the point of doing it in the first place over time.

Watching Henman lose is also good! He's a twat!
magicalsausage
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Who cares? It's only sport...
goldenbarnes
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
A big move for anyone that young at such a stage in their career couold destroy them forever, the only reason he'd do well at Arsenal or Man Utd is because of Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger. I would trust these two, and the setups behind them to nurture the best young talent in the best way possible. I would not afford Jose Mourinho the same compliments.

Plus, playing for Chelsea would mean he's expendable.
shishi nee
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hmm, i agree - i've heard reports that say rooney is going to turn down everton's new contract offer, so who knows - he may end up at united (please!!). Come off it, rooney HAS to move if he wants to improve - he needs european football - and he's not going to get it at everton. moreover, i reckon that the set-up at united would suit him right down to a tee.
hihihihi
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
David Moyes is trying to keep Rooney by making him captain of Everton- which is pretty sad#

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...on/3884003.stm
Mark_KK
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by George-W-Duck)

3)Rugby Union Any game of rugby where you are relying on getting a penalty or a chance to have a drop goal rather than score a try makes the game dull.
LOL, a group of "Northerners" realised this about 110 years ago and formed the "Northern Union" which subsequently gave birth to what is known in the present day as Rugby League.

The very nature of Rugby League *usually* leads to a more exciting game and although the national team is currently not very good we have been good in the past and probably will be again in the next 5 - 10 years.

Had the whole breakaway never taken place I believe that "Rugby" would have eventually evolved into something similair as to what is currently known as Rugby League.

Interesting how Union has openly admitted experimenting with a 5m offside rule at the ruck and have also played matched without flankers to see if it made the game more open and thus exciting.

I watched the R.W.C. and only saw about 2 - 3 games that were any good thoughout the whole tournament. Semi-Final against France was like watching paint dry!
meepmeep
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Mark_KK)
LOL, a group of "Northerners" realised this about 110 years ago and formed the "Northern Union" which subsequently gave birth to what is known in the present day as Rugby League.

The very nature of Rugby League *usually* leads to a more exciting game and although the national team is currently not very good we have been good in the past and probably will be again in the next 5 - 10 years.

Had the whole breakaway never taken place I believe that "Rugby" would have eventually evolved into something similair as to what is currently known as Rugby League.

Interesting how Union has openly admitted experimenting with a 5m offside rule at the ruck and have also played matched without flankers to see if it made the game more open and thus exciting.

I watched the R.W.C. and only saw about 2 - 3 games that were any good thoughout the whole tournament. Semi-Final against France was like watching paint dry!
Not again. I'm a huge supporter of rugby league, but posts like this will inevitably get people's backs up. It's a fair point about the generic use of the word "rugby" though. There's far too much animosity between league followers and union followers. Both codes are far superior to the round ball game in my opinion. Fair enough, flag up the point and start a new thread on it, but the for and against RL has riped too many topics to shreds and the argument you've put forward isn't really relevant to the topic at hand.
Prologue
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Invisible)
Who cares? Sport is supposed to be fun and enjoyable, competitive sport tends to kill the point of doing it in the first place over time.

Watching Henman lose is also good! He's a twat!
thats why sport is getting worse in uk, becasue there is less competitve sport and competition is discouraged and everyone i becoming more cautious in every way. less competition so to not hurt fat peoples feelings, extreme political correctness and all the petty lawsuits etc.

sport IS doing good in uk though.

in football - disregard the rankings as they take into account friendlies which european teams dont care about and tend to minimilise.

in football england will always be about the same level. good enough to win a tournament at their best but never quite doing it. the team has improved under eriksson though no-doubt. overall, football is doing well.

in rugby england are the champs and are at the pinnacle of the sport even though the sport isn't really global. its like with poto winning the champions league then losing all their pre-season friendlies and getting knock out of their national cup. it doesnt really matter. only the big games matter and they lost their 2 best players.

in cricket theyre doing well in test but one-day doesnt mean that much and form in this can change a lot each year because its played a lot more often. theyve won tests recently and one-day tournaments so long term they are good but short term average/good.

AND in general theyre doing good like in rowing theyll win olympic medals in womens quad sculls and pair and mens four and maybe double and athletics theyve got paula radcliffe, kelly holmes, jade johnson, jason garenar, darren campbell etc.

in cycling (track) theyve got quite a few medals in them and the blue ribband world champ.

boxing=good

overall=good

TOO MUCH RELIANCE AND FOCUS ON FOOTBALL IS THE PROBLEM WITH THEM COUNTRY IN SPORT
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Preston at home; toughie against a Championship side.
jediknight007
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by shishi nee)
moreover, i reckon that the set-up at united would suit him right down to a tee.
How exactly will he fit into United's setup? They already have Van Nistelrooy, Saha and Smith. I think Rooney is a waste of money at this moment of time. They should give him a few more seasons to see whether he will still be world-class by then.

Sorry to sound so rude. I'm an United fan as well and it would be good to see Rooney here but then again, it would be bad if it made Van Nistelrooy and co unhappy because Van Nistelrooy CANNOT go to Real Madrid.....
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed