The Student Room Group

How can I get a grade 5 in OCR foundation gcse maths

As you may know, OCR is a tough exam board for maths, (Harder than AQA and Edexcel) I find it harder to get marks in it and I need to get a grade 5 ( as im doing F tier) to do my sixth form course, i am currently getting grade 3's, my most likely outcome is a 4, what should I do to get a 5 I really need the 5 for sixth form :frown:
Ask yourself and reflect on how you're doing in maths. What might be the cause of this? Do you not understand content? Does it take you too long to answer questions? Do you regularly forget how to solve questions? It could be all three or something else, but you need to identitfy the problem and fix it.

For example, if you find it difficult to understand a topic:

Ask your teacher for help and be honest and tell them you don't understand. Theyre' there to help you.
Watch a video on how to do a certian topic and make notes on this, think about how the person did it and see if you understand.
Practise questions WHEN you undersand how to solve them. There is no use in practising something you have no idea how to solve.

If you find it difficult to complete questions in the required time, then, again, practise questions. However, you should aim to do this under timed conditons. For examaple, you could practise a paper under timed conditions using a timer. This makes it more realistic and trains you to work faster over time (the more practise you do, the better the outcome will be, so you need to be consistent and persevere)

Additionally, you could attend a maths club if your school hosts it and obtain any help/resources/questions you may need to supplement your revision
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Thank you so much :smile:
Original post by Jacob__UK
As you may know, OCR is a tough exam board for maths, (Harder than AQA and Edexcel) I find it harder to get marks in it and I need to get a grade 5 ( as im doing F tier) to do my sixth form course, i am currently getting grade 3's, my most likely outcome is a 4, what should I do to get a 5 I really need the 5 for sixth form :frown:

It certainly is not harder than any other board ... there are checks that grade 4 standard is the same in every board.

Which websites are you using?
Reply 4
Ive been using mathsgenie an corbettmaths with cgp textbook, im thinking of going through mathsgenie grade by grade.
Ive been using mathsgenie an corbettmaths with cgp textbook, im thinking of going through mathsgenie grade by grade.

Try these:

MathsMadeEasy: https://mmerevise.co.uk/gcse-maths-revision/ocr/

https://www.missbsresources.com/teaching-and-learning/mathspassports [passports 2 & 3]
Reply 6
On MathsMadeEasy does level 4-5 mean grade 4-5?image_2023-01-13_164040029.png

On MathsMadeEasy does level 4-5 mean grade 4-5?image_2023-01-13_164040029.png

Yes
Bicen Maths is and was excellent for me in A Levels and he also has a GCSE channel 'Bicen Maths GCSE' I think. Go through each topic on the revision page for GCSE maths on phyicsandmathstutor website and for any topic you don't understand go on his channel, watch the videos and have another go at them. And of course do some past papers to help yourself get used to exams.
Reply 9
Thank you
defo use mathsgenie. ive seen sort of replicas of ocr's f maths questions on there

Quick Reply

Latest