Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im really scared about my GCSE exams this summer. I cant get my head down to revise and Im getting more worried by the minute. How can I cope? I really am in a situation any information or help would be greatfully recieved
    Maz

ReputationRep:
    Hi Maz.

I did my GCSEs last year, so I remember what it feels like! I did revise quite a bit in the end, although not as much as I'd intended to, and I was so scared about them as well. It wasn't that anyone (other than myself) was putting pressure on me, but I've always has this thing about doing well in exams.

I don't think you need to worry about revising yet- it's only January! You can't really start revising until you've finished all the work and coursework anyway. I started in the Easter holidays and I found that to be about the right time for me. Your school might run some revision sessions after school and in the holidays. If you find it useful to work in groups, go to them. It also makes it slightly more bearable if you can work with other people sometimes rather than on your own all the time. I also found revision guides very helpful, so try and get hold of a few good ones if you can. Always make sure you ask your teachers for help with anything you're stuck on.

When you do start revising, don't go over the top. 2 hours a day during the week and maybe 3-4 hours a day at weekends should be plenty of time. As for how often to take breaks and switch topics/subjects, that will vary a lot depending on the person. Apparently our brains can only concentrare properly for 20 minutes, so 20-minute sessions with a 5-minute break in between might be best. You could do 2 subjects a day if you wanted, but I wouldn't recommend more than that. Use your mock results to decide which subjects you should be concentrating on the most, and within each subject, which topics you struggle with. Try and vary the ways you revise. You could summarise information into bullet points, spider diagrams, flow charts and tables, using pictures and colour to make it more interesting (but don't spend ages making it pretty!) Some people find it helpful to stick things in places where they'll see them often, or record their work on tape and play it back. You could also try repeating things out loud, making up some questions and asking someone to test you and teaching someone else what you've learnt.

We all know revising is probably the dullest thing in the world, and there will always be a million other things you'd prefer to do- but unfortunately it has to be done. Maybe you could try rewarding yourself, eg after your revision, go out with friends or do something you really enjoy. Just think of the grades you want and how happy you'll be on results day when you get them! Useful tip: DO NOT come on sites like these during breaks! I made the mistake of doing that and they're so addictive that you ALWAYS spend more time on them than you plan to!

To round off this mini-essay, I'll say, without meaning to sound patronising, that GCSEs are a lot easier than you think at the time, and they're also not as important as your teachers want you to believe. They are important, but if you go on to do A-levels or some sort of training course, they become much less so. Try not to worry too much, and do talk to people if you start to get stressed because it does help. If you want any more advice or just a chat, PM me.

ReputationRep:
    There is still plenty of time. You could start studying and doing some past papers in during the easter holidays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazraz)
    Im really scared about my GCSE exams this summer. I cant get my head down to revise and Im getting more worried by the minute. How can I cope? I really am in a situation any information or help would be greatfully recieved
    Maz
    Don't stress Maz. It will be ok. Of all the people I know, everyone seems to agree that no one revised as much for their GCSEs as they'd initially intended to, but as with everything in life, exams are a steep learning curve and the most important thing, in one sense, is to secure a sound exam technique. Although I am not detracting from the obvious, that to know all of the information required is highly useful, it helps if you are fully prepared for the exam situation.

I am guessing that you have/will have mocks coming up. Try not to worry about these too much. Put them to good use though, in terms of using the allotted time to the best use possible and remember that stressing in the exam will get you nowhere. Obtain a copy of the markschemes and syllabuses for each subject, so that nothing that comes up will take you by surpriseand that you are familiar with each general topic area. Get a good night's sleep before the exam. Believe me, it really helps!

The most useful thing you can do is timed practice papers. These, again, will help make you more prepared and familiar with the subject content.
    Beyond all else, remember that you have lots of time left. Really. So use it wisely, stay focused and be sure to do as much class and homework as possible. Try your best in the coursework as this will make it easier for you when it comes round to the exams.

In essence, it isn't so much what you know, as how proficiently you can use what you know. With plenty of practice, you will succeed in the summer. Best Wishes and remeber to stay calm, Squid.

ReputationRep:
    mate chill!
    gcses are fine you can revise for them the night before the exam and easily get an a star

Literally for the sciences all you need to do is memorise the cgp book which takes on averag about 8 hours or so.
    History english etc is more tecknique than knowlege and if you are already performing at a good level then you're sorted.
    All this crap about starting ure revisione arly and cgp isnt enough etc is bullst
    In the easter break revise every other day and ure sorted.

I did 12 gcses and got all stars and a couple of A's. chillllll

ReputationRep:
    All exams seem really hard at the time you do them ! When i did my GCSe's i thought my head was going to explode trying to learn everything and i wondered howi would ever cope with a levels. then i did my A levels which made my GCSE's look easy as they were soooo hard at the time. But now that i am doing my first year vet exams i cant beieve how easy GCSE and A level were!
    Dont worry, everyone feels like they cant do it at the time and everyone feels the pressure (apart from the few genius' out there who do the revision 2 hours before and get 100%!! )
    You will be fine with your GCSE's and as someone said earlier although they seem a big thing now once you do A levels or uni etc they will have no significance at all (although they are vital for getting into uni). It's a bit like SATS - at the time they were soooooo important but should think that even t GCSE stage you have forgotten about them and i cant even remember what results i got in them!
    Just keep everything in perspective and try your best. As long as you know that you have done your best thats all that matters. nd now after all that i really ought to go and do some revision of my own!!!!
    Good luck! :champ:

ReputationRep:
    There is no need to worry, especially not yet! The only thing you can really do now is break you subjects down into chunks. This makes it so much easier when you are trying to make a revision timetable. There is no point revising yet though because they are so far away and you'll just need to do it again.

I really dont think you need to worry, your obviously a conscientious student if you're thinking of this already! You cant revise if you haven't learnt all the stuff yet! x

ReputationRep:
    When I did my GCSEs I was panicking about my biology exam, as I had had a lot of time off due to an serious accident which meant I was off school from the start of year 11 until the year 11 mocks (my first day back was a maths exam). I felt I catch up in chemistry and physics, but I really wanted an A* for my science double award and I knew my biology results would threaten it.

So my dad lent me some books by Tony Buzan on mind maps. I spent a good time making minds maps of the topics in the biology revision guide and it must have worked as I got my A* for science. I did find that mind maps were time consuming at first and didn't seem to be working, but the more I used them and got used to them the better I got.

As to getting down to revision I found that at first I would panic as I thought of them or tried to get down to them meaning that I would either not revise at all and try and do something else or I would not be able to concentrate on the subject I was trying to revise. My cure was just to spend ten minutes copying a page of a text book or to write it in my own writing, this put me in the mind to get down to work and it stopped me panicking.

There is a twist in this story though, while revising I realised that I really enjoyed biology and now I'm taking biology, physics and double maths at AS level. I really hope your experience with revision can be as positive as mine.

ReputationRep:
    It's too early to revise right now. You could start during the easter holidays.

ReputationRep:
    JUST RELAX! You have months left and lots of holidays inbetween. Just try to read a revision book every now and again, leading to up the exams. Make an exam timetable and force yourself to stick to it. Set yourself goals and challenges, like revise 5 pages, then you get a chocolate bar, condasending I know, but it works for me

Good luck

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.