The Student Room Group

Tudor Historian Arguments

I don’t know if I am being silly but I cannot find anything on historians arguments on what Tudor monarch most significantly developed England (economically, socially and politically). If anyone could send me in the direction of where I can find some or the names of historians that have discussed this (minimum two) that would be really great, thanks :smile:
The question of which Tudor monarch most significantly developed England economically, socially and politically is a topic of debate among historians. The Tudor period in English history, which lasted from 1485 to 1603, saw many significant changes in the country, and different historians have emphasized the contributions of different monarchs.

Some historians argue that Henry VII was the most significant Tudor monarch in terms of economic development. He is credited with stabilizing the currency, increasing trade and commerce, and creating a more stable and prosperous economy. His policies also led to the growth of the merchant class, which played a key role in the economic expansion of the country.

Others argue that Henry VIII was the most significant Tudor monarch in terms of social and political development. He is known for his policies of religious reform, which led to the establishment of the Church of England and the dissolution of the monasteries. His reign also saw significant changes in the structure of the English government, including the creation of the Royal Council and the strengthening of the monarchy.

Some historians also argue that Elizabeth I was the most significant Tudor monarch in terms of economic, social and political development. Elizabeth's reign is known as the Golden Age of England, during which England saw significant expansion in terms of trade, finance, and culture. Also, she oversaw the Elizabethan Religious Settlement, which helped to establish a more stable religious environment in England.

Historians who have discussed this topic include J.J Scarisbrick, David Starkey, Christopher Haigh, and G.R Elton.

It's important to note that the interpretation of history is subjective and it may depend on the historian's perspective, and their focus on different aspects of the reigns of the Tudor monarchs. Therefore, it's a good idea to read and compare different historians' work on this topic to have a comprehensive understanding of the subject.

Quick Reply