The Student Room Group

How to make the most out of a gap year

I need ideas on what I can do during this gap year. Can't work at the moment, so i'm at home a lot. I'm currently doing a few online courses, driving, journaling, I've learnt how to cook a bit, learning self care. Trying to get therapy & read more. :smile:
I think what you're doing already is a good idea. Driving is a great life skill to learn early on, as is cooking etc to help prepare you for living alone. I personally worked a lot, both paid to get savings and also unpaid work experience as that was necessary for vet med. Engage in some hobbies, maybe learn new skills, try out things like maybe exercising etc.
Original post by RambleAmple
I think what you're doing already is a good idea. Driving is a great life skill to learn early on, as is cooking etc to help prepare you for living alone. I personally worked a lot, both paid to get savings and also unpaid work experience as that was necessary for vet med. Engage in some hobbies, maybe learn new skills, try out things like maybe exercising etc.

I do feel at times that i'm too inactive, or not doing enough. I've been doing exercises too. I have applied to medical school and have an interview, so i'm unsure if this will be a negative thing, although I have reasons to not enter work atm I do feel a bit lost sometimes, like I'm not going in any direction as i'm so used to studying for hours at A-level but hope to start work ASAP. :smile: I was wondering if it's common to feel like this?
Original post by watermellonne
I do feel at times that i'm too inactive, or not doing enough. I've been doing exercises too. I have applied to medical school and have an interview, so i'm unsure if this will be a negative thing, although I have reasons to not enter work atm I do feel a bit lost sometimes, like I'm not going in any direction as i'm so used to studying for hours at A-level but hope to start work ASAP. :smile: I was wondering if it's common to feel like this?

I think it is normal, as someone obviously motivated in life generally to apply to medical school it does feel unusual to be doing 'nothing', even though you are obviously doing things. Generally gap years are looked at as positives by unis as it gives you a chance to mature and learn important life skills outside of being in education etc. I couldn't do much through the first part of my gap year as it happened when covid shut everything down so I did just do online courses, try to exercise (didn't agree with me) and engage in little hobbies like doing puzzles or reading books etc. It's good to just relax sometimes though and just catch up on shows etc. I did feel better once I had a job though as it gave me a bit more sense of purpose and getting paid is nice.
Original post by RambleAmple
I think it is normal, as someone obviously motivated in life generally to apply to medical school it does feel unusual to be doing 'nothing', even though you are obviously doing things. Generally gap years are looked at as positives by unis as it gives you a chance to mature and learn important life skills outside of being in education etc. I couldn't do much through the first part of my gap year as it happened when covid shut everything down so I did just do online courses, try to exercise (didn't agree with me) and engage in little hobbies like doing puzzles or reading books etc. It's good to just relax sometimes though and just catch up on shows etc. I did feel better once I had a job though as it gave me a bit more sense of purpose and getting paid is nice.

Yup that's definitely how I feel! Thanks for this, I haven't actually spoke to anyone on a gap year, so this is definitely helpful. It does feel a lot different to go at a slower pace but maybe that's what I need although I don't wanna go overboard. I seemed to get some post exam blues a few weeks after relaxing. I just don't know if there's anything cool I could be doing that I haven't thought of as I can get bored sometimes! At the same time, I want to be as well prepared as i can for uni without exhausting myself
I took a gap year. I really needed the break.
I also had limited ability to work. I did a lot of walking, I took up a new hobby to learn a new skill and I did some work to learn some maths units that my school didn't teach. Later on I took up tutoring as it was a form of work I could do, both remotely and in person (driving is useful for this), volunteer and paid for.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things to make the most of this gap year for you. I hope you enjoy it and it's helpful for you like it was for me.
Original post by Fibonacci28
I took a gap year. I really needed the break.
I also had limited ability to work. I did a lot of walking, I took up a new hobby to learn a new skill and I did some work to learn some maths units that my school didn't teach. Later on I took up tutoring as it was a form of work I could do, both remotely and in person (driving is useful for this), volunteer and paid for.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things to make the most of this gap year for you. I hope you enjoy it and it's helpful for you like it was for me.

Thank you! This was helpful (i'm currently doing almost the same thing). I'm glad you had a fulfilling gap year. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest