The Student Room Group

Gcse and advice for american!!

I just moved to London from America in December and I’m in year 11 first it was rlly hard finding a school to take me since I’m in the last year before GCSES but I found one and there only offering me the 5 basic courses and told me I have to go to a 2nd school if I want more… I took the maths foundation to see where i am on the scale and it was so easy but im just stressing on how I only get 5 gcses and how I won’t be able to get into a good college or job so I just need a advice on what to do and if there’s any loop holes for someone like me or anything at all please 🥲
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bdøtty
I just moved to London from America in December and I’m in year 11 first it was rlly hard finding a school to take me since I’m in the last year before GCSES but I found one and there only offering me the 5 basic courses and told me I have to go to a 2nd school if I want more… I took the maths foundation to see where i am on the scale and it was so easy but im just stressing on how I only get 5 gcses and how I won’t be able to get into a good college or job so I just need a advice on what to do and if there’s any loop holes for someone like me or anything at all please 🥲

yeah at this point in year 11 with 5 months till exams most places wont have the resources to teach you 2 years worth of content in that time. if you have the means, you could get a tutor and sit gcses privately so youd have to pay to sit them but this can be very expensive. im in year 13 and i wanted to sit french gcse privately but didnt after finding out i would have to pay.

one thing you could do is get in touch with any and all sixth forms and colleges near you and ask about your specific situation. usually colleges are easier to get into with requirements of about a 4 in maths and a 5 in english i think and you have a wide variety of a levels or btecs etc to study at y12 and y13. sixth forms are trickier as they are more academic so their requirements to get in can start from a 5 in maths and 6 in the subjects you want to study. i would definitely email or call them and see what the colleges u wanna go to say.

it might also be helpful to ask your school and guardians about you resitting year 11 so you have a year to learn a few more subjects in order to sit more gcses. the obvious downside is you would be repeating a year but you could end up with more gcses. again, i would ask the colleges first then speak to your school or other schools near you about this.

finally, if you have an idea of what youd like to study at university or where youd like to go, check their websites for minimum gcse requirements. lots of stem subjects require a 4/5 (which is basically a pass) in maths whereas humanities may require a 4/5 in english. if youve thought that far ahead, see what requirements you meet so maybe you wont need to do any extra subjects at all.

im happy to help you if you need anything, i study maths art and geography at a level and i tutor on the side. good luck for y11 hope ur settling in well!
5 GCSEs is not a problem; the grades you get are way more important.
Reply 3
I’m thankful for your advice!!!
My school told my parents the same that repeating the year would be the smartest thing to do but my parents aren’t happy with it :/ but my dad is willing to get a tutor but the most important thing is the amount of GCSE I’m confident if I take the maths and English I would easily get 6-8 in both but at the end I would only have 5 which wouldn’t really do much ! Is there any other ways to get gcse out of year 11 like in 12 or 13 ? I know it might sound dumb but I just moved here so all this is every sudden and new so bear with me 😭
Original post by arch17
yeah at this point in year 11 with 5 months till exams most places wont have the resources to teach you 2 years worth of content in that time. if you have the means, you could get a tutor and sit gcses privately so youd have to pay to sit them but this can be very expensive. im in year 13 and i wanted to sit french gcse privately but didnt after finding out i would have to pay.

one thing you could do is get in touch with any and all sixth forms and colleges near you and ask about your specific situation. usually colleges are easier to get into with requirements of about a 4 in maths and a 5 in english i think and you have a wide variety of a levels or btecs etc to study at y12 and y13. sixth forms are trickier as they are more academic so their requirements to get in can start from a 5 in maths and 6 in the subjects you want to study. i would definitely email or call them and see what the colleges u wanna go to say.

it might also be helpful to ask your school and guardians about you resitting year 11 so you have a year to learn a few more subjects in order to sit more gcses. the obvious downside is you would be repeating a year but you could end up with more gcses. again, i would ask the colleges first then speak to your school or other schools near you about this.

finally, if you have an idea of what youd like to study at university or where youd like to go, check their websites for minimum gcse requirements. lots of stem subjects require a 4/5 (which is basically a pass) in maths whereas humanities may require a 4/5 in english. if youve thought that far ahead, see what requirements you meet so maybe you wont need to do any extra subjects at all.

im happy to help you if you need anything, i study maths art and geography at a level and i tutor on the side. good luck for y11 hope ur settling in well!
Reply 4
Original post by vapordave
5 GCSEs is not a problem; the grades you get are way more important.

So will I be fine if I get all As in my grades and get 6-7 on my 5 gcses ?
What you want to do is look at local sixth forms / sixth form colleges, and see what their entry requirements are.

Up here in Yorkshire where I live, most (even sixth forms rated outstanding) have the entry requirements of a minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grades 4 or above, including English Language and Maths.

However I have heard that London sixth forms are more oversubscribed and competitive, therefore some ask for more GCSEs. So you need to do your research now. Look online at the websites of potential sixth forms / sixth form colleges that you might want to attend, and see what their entry requirements are.

If you find that everywhere is asking for more, you can always self-study more subjects yourself and sit them as a private candidate in an exam centre. It isn't as hard as it might sound.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bdøtty
So will I be fine if I get all As in my grades and get 6-7 on my 5 gcses ?

you should be if you don't want to go to an ultra-competitive sixth form
Reply 7
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
What you want to do is look at local sixth forms / sixth form colleges, and see what their entry requirements are.

Up here in Yorkshire where I live, most (even sixth forms rated outstanding) have the entry requirements of a minimum of 5 GCSEs at Grades 4 or above, including English Language and Maths.

However I have heard that London sixth forms are more oversubscribed and competitive, therefore some ask for more GCSEs. So you need to do your research now. Look online at the websites of potential sixth forms / sixth form colleges that you might want to attend, and see what their entry requirements are.

If you find that everywhere is asking for more, you can always self-study more subjects yourself and sit them as a private candidate in an exam centre. It isn't as hard as it might sound.

I go to a private academy right now and they offer sixform for year 12 and 13 and only need a minimum of 4 GCSES you think the best option is to stay here ?
Original post by Bdøtty
I go to a private academy right now and they offer sixform for year 12 and 13 and only need a minimum of 4 GCSES you think the best option is to stay here ?

Sounds like a good plan to be honest, yeah
Original post by Bdøtty
I’m thankful for your advice!!!
My school told my parents the same that repeating the year would be the smartest thing to do but my parents aren’t happy with it :/ but my dad is willing to get a tutor but the most important thing is the amount of GCSE I’m confident if I take the maths and English I would easily get 6-8 in both but at the end I would only have 5 which wouldn’t really do much ! Is there any other ways to get gcse out of year 11 like in 12 or 13 ? I know it might sound dumb but I just moved here so all this is every sudden and new so bear with me 😭

doing gcses whilst learning a level can be pretty tricky especially depending on what a level subjects you do. you could definitely sit the gcses privately either in summer or in november - ask your school or tutor how to sign up but again this would be a lot of intense learning to catch up with 2 years worth of content. 5 gcses is perfectly fine honestly its just needed to get into sixth form, when u go to uni or get a job they wont care about how many you did and what grade you got, just if you passed the basics like maths
I'm in y13 currently doing Maths, Computer Science and Chemistry and I technically only needed 3 gcses: 4 in English, 7 in Maths (so that i could take Maths A-level) and 6 in Chemistry (so that I could take Chemistry A-level). Computer science required a 6 in Maths and you didn't have to have taken Computer Science in GCSE to do it in A-level. Some subjects don't need any requirements other than a pass (4) in English and Maths, while others might require a grade in a specific subject. Either way you're only picking 3 or 4 a-levels and assuming you're taking the standard English, Maths and Sciences along with 2 other subjects you'll be pretty much able to get in to any course you want as long as you get the grades.

Quick Reply

Latest