The Student Room Group

What subjects should I take if I want to get into ICL for computer science.

I'm currently in year 11 and I need to choose A-levels and I am thinking of choosing Maths, Further Maths and Physics. For the fourth option i am stuck as i don't know what to choose. I study Spanish at GCSE and i think i should take it for A-level. i would have chosen computer science at A-level but unfortunately didn't take it for GCSE so i cant do it at A-level. in addition no other schools around me allow computer science without it at GCSE.
is there any other subjects which i could do at A-level which would be good for the course at imperial or UCL for compsci and be easy or manageable with my other difficult Alevels and make me look more academically brilliant.

I mainly want to do a Meng/Beng in math and computing or the computing(software engeneering) courses
Also, are there any more really good top unis in london where i could apply for in the future.

Thanks for the help, sorry for all the questions.
Honestly you don't even need a fourth a level, the three you have are definitely good enough and doing a fourth won't give you any advantage
Reply 2
Would the universities accept someone with four alevels compared to three?

Thanks for the help
Original post by Chrono147
Would the universities accept someone with four alevels compared to three?

Thanks for the help

Universities will generally only look at your best three a levels (so there's no real advantage to doing four). The only exception I know of is Cambridge engineering
Reply 4
So if I get A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics I will be open to wide range of good uni apart from Oxbridge.

If I get an A*AAA in maths, further maths, physics and Spanish then it would basically be the sameish result but just with and extra subject

Sry for all the questions
Reply 5
Just to chip in, nigh on all unis, even Oxbridge for most courses, don't prioritise 4 a levels over 3. To quote (roughly), many students might be unable to due to reasons like their college, timetable clashing, etcetera. Some unis do lower 1 grade boundary slightly, but that's rare. On the other hand, certain jobs do like 4 because it shows your 'multitasking' (I've forgotten the word haha) abilities. Again, it's not prioritised though.

Also certain colleges make you take Further Maths as a 4th A level, which is generally why it's lowered. Regarding four A-levels for computer science though, Further Maths is liked, in the end it's up to you. You can also drop it, without losing anything. Good luck!
Original post by Chrono147
So if I get A*A*A in maths, further maths and physics I will be open to wide range of good uni apart from Oxbridge.

If I get an A*AAA in maths, further maths, physics and Spanish then it would basically be the sameish result but just with and extra subject

Sry for all the questions

A*A*A is better than A*AAA (and it's probably actually easier to get A*A*A than A*AAA). Most universities make offers based on three subjects, so if you had A*AAA it'd be as if you just had A*AA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending