The Student Room Group

IB choices

hi I am currently in year 11 and have to submit my options for IB soon. The courses I am considering for uni are natural sciences at Cambridge or PPE at Oxford / other unis currently I am thinking of taking
HL-Maths
HL-economics
HL-science(not sure which science would be best)
SL- English lit
SL- German
SL- another science/ philosophy/geography

does anyone have any advice what combinations of sciences/ other subjects I should take and if these subjects are good enough for the courses mentioned? also I have heard that higher maths at IB is incredibly difficult and I am slightly worried about this although I am predicted a 9 at GCSE maths but was considering perhaps taking maths at standard and a different subject -possibly another science- as higher? I am quite confused what subjects would be best for these courses as I feel conflicted choosing between sciences and humanities subjects because I enjoy and score well in both - so any advice at all would be useful especially as I have to apply soon, Thanks!!
Hello there. I think you put this in the wrong section (there's an IB section) :smile:
Original post by guppy22
hi I am currently in year 11 and have to submit my options for IB soon. The courses I am considering for uni are natural sciences at Cambridge or PPE at Oxford / other unis currently I am thinking of taking
HL-Maths

also I have heard that higher maths at IB is incredibly difficult and I am slightly worried about this although I am predicted a 9 at GCSE maths but was considering perhaps taking maths at standard and a different subject -possibly another science- as higher? I am quite confused what subjects would be best for these courses as I feel conflicted choosing between sciences and humanities subjects because I enjoy and score well in both - so any advice at all would be useful especially as I have to apply soon, Thanks!!

Do you plan to do A&A or A&I?
Original post by guppy22
HL-Maths
HL-economics
SL- English lit
SL- German

does anyone have any advice what combinations of sciences/ other subjects I should take and if these subjects are good enough for the courses mentioned? also I have heard that higher maths at IB is incredibly difficult and I am slightly worried about this although I am predicted a 9 at GCSE maths but was considering perhaps taking maths at standard and a different subject -possibly another science- as higher? I am quite confused what subjects would be best for these courses as I feel conflicted choosing between sciences and humanities subjects because I enjoy and score well in both - so any advice at all would be useful especially as I have to apply soon, Thanks!!

Hi, I think you need to make the decision between Natural Sciences (Physical or Biological) OR PPE and not try to straddle between both options.

Pretty sure that you will need 3 HLs from HL Sciences and HL AA Math if you want to have the best chances at Cambridge, as most applicants have 3 Sciences/Math combination.

Whereas for PPE, it's typically one essay subject e.g. HL History. The other complementary HL subjects are HL Math AA and HL Economics, or HL Global Politics.
Reply 4
Original post by iL1L
Hello there. I think you put this in the wrong section (there's an IB section) :smile:

oh I didn't realise I will repost it there, Thanks!
Reply 5
probably AA as I have heard that is the maths higher most top unis prefer
Original post by iL1L
Do you plan to do A&A or A&I?
Original post by guppy22
oh I didn't realise I will repost it there, Thanks!

Don’t worry! You’re good. A moderator has moved this to IB section..
Reply 7
Original post by guppy22
HL-Maths
HL-economics
SL- English lit
SL- German

Hi! I’m currently a first-year law student at the University of Cambridge. However, I have a lot of friends doing natural sciences and know some people doing politics here and at Oxf*rd. In order to do natural sciences at Cambridge you’re going to need to take ATLEAST 2 sciences at HL, however, the majority of successful candidates will have 2 sciences and maths AA at HL - and be predicted top grades.

In respect to PPE, the only suggestion on the Oxf*rd website is that it’s recommended that you take maths HL. Thus, as the entry requirements are more stringent for natural sciences I’d recommend taking the above combination - you won’t be closing any door doing this.

However, I think it is important to note that both Oxf*rd and Cambridge are extremely competitive, with Cambridge typically offering 42,776 HL and Oxf*rd 38,666. Thus, they want to pick people who not only get the top grades but absolutely love their subject. The amount of times the topic of conversation turns to physics around my Natsci friends is crazy!

Therefore, as PPE and Natsci are completely different courses I recommend taking some time to work out what really interests you - not just what career you want but what subjects would genuinely excite you to spend soo much time learning. As when you work this out, you’ll make not only the application process but also your uni experience far more enjoyable.

I hope this helps and feel free to ask me any more questions!

Quick Reply

Latest