The Student Room Group

Maths Undergrad Durham vs Bath

Hi, I have an offer for Bath (A*AB) to study Bsc Maths, and I am still waiting to hear back from Durham. My firm choice is St Andrews, but I am trying to decide on what my insurance would be (Bath or Durham), if I got a Durham offer. Does anyone have any advice?
Durham is a terrible insurance choice. They mess firm applicants around every year and insurance applicants are even lower on the priority list.

Have you visited either Bath or Durham?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Durham is a terrible insurance choice. They mess firm applicants around every year and insurance applicants are even lower on the priority list.

Have you visited either Bath or Durham?

I’ve not been to Bath, my sister is at Durham so I have been there, but I really like campus unis so I think I would like Bath. Bath is one grade lower as well, and (I think?) has a better reputation for maths, but I am just worried about choosing it when I haven’t been. :smile:
Original post by annie996
I’ve not been to Bath, my sister is at Durham so I have been there, but I really like campus unis so I think I would like Bath. Bath is one grade lower as well, and (I think?) has a better reputation for maths, but I am just worried about choosing it when I haven’t been. :smile:

Bath is great for maths.

You’ve got until May to decide this - plenty of time to arrange a trip to visit during half term/easter holidays or just for a weekend.
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Bath is great for maths.

You’ve got until May to decide this - plenty of time to arrange a trip to visit during half term/easter holidays or just for a weekend.

Thank you for your help :smile:
Thank you for your help :smile:

I would seriously suggest Bath as your firm - it's the best of the three for Maths
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
I would seriously suggest Bath as your firm - it's the best of the three for Maths

Hi, thanks for the advice - I have read some of your posts before! I still want to put st Andrews first as I just loved the uni so much and I think I will be really happy there, but I think I will put Bath as my insurance now! :smile:
Hi, where else did you apply?
Reply 8
Original post by LibertyoLee99
Hi, where else did you apply?

Birmingham (offer) and oxford (rejection) :smile:
Reply 9
Birmingham (offer) and oxford (rejection) :smile:

Hi - can I ask what your offer for Birmingham is? I have an offer from Warwick, Bath and Loughborough. I still have one choice to go and thinking Birmingham. Thanks
Reply 10
Original post by Mrs_Pi
Hi - can I ask what your offer for Birmingham is? I have an offer from Warwick, Bath and Loughborough. I still have one choice to go and thinking Birmingham. Thanks

Hi, its 3A’s. Good luck with your application!
Original post by Mrs_Pi

Hi there,

Great to hear that you're interested in studying at Loughborough :smile:

I'm a current student here and although I don't study Maths, I am happy to answer any questions you may have about studying at Loughborough!

Feel free to get in contact if you think there's anything I can help with!

Jess
Current 2nd year maths student @ Bath here - I can't speak for Durham but I've certainly found my time so far to be good, and the teaching/content to be interesting & instructive. Bath also has great graduate prospects (esp. if you do a placement year as a majority of students do) and last I checked it was ranked as one of the best unis in the country for maths.
Before making any decisions though I'd recommend visiting both. The two are very far from one another so distance from wherever you are now and the uni might factor in to your decision. I'm from the south and one of my good mates went to Durham but I know he's not a fan of the journey back home for the holidays as it's minimum 5h whereas for me it's just over 1h.
Hi, I have an offer for Bath (A*AB) to study Bsc Maths, and I am still waiting to hear back from Durham. My firm choice is St Andrews, but I am trying to decide on what my insurance would be (Bath or Durham), if I got a Durham offer. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 13
Original post by Splodge5
Current 2nd year maths student @ Bath here - I can't speak for Durham but I've certainly found my time so far to be good, and the teaching/content to be interesting & instructive. Bath also has great graduate prospects (esp. if you do a placement year as a majority of students do) and last I checked it was ranked as one of the best unis in the country for maths.
Before making any decisions though I'd recommend visiting both. The two are very far from one another so distance from wherever you are now and the uni might factor in to your decision. I'm from the south and one of my good mates went to Durham but I know he's not a fan of the journey back home for the holidays as it's minimum 5h whereas for me it's just over 1h.

Thank you for your help! My sister goes to Durham and so I have been there, but I haven’t had a chance to visit Bath yet but I am planning to in the next few weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest