The Student Room Group

Russel Group Unis & GCSEs

Hello guys, I posted a similar question before about getting into Russel Group Unis just still querieng for updates.

I retook English Lang for the Nov 2022 resit as well as Maths for the grade booster
I had gone from a 4 to a 7 in Language (+3😁)
Maths unfortunately still at a 4

My GCSE profile is
7 - English Language
6 - Geography
5 - Photography
4 - Business
4 - Maths Higher
43 - Combined Science Foundation
3 - English Literature
3 - Spanish Foundation

This leaves my GCSE profile at a 765444333 which isnt exactly a very strong profile. I was wondering it would be worth it to retake a few (Literature) (maybe Business) to get a higher GCSE profile to get into those universities such as Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Liverpool?? Or would they be enough - I am applying for Law which asks for a 4-6 in Lang but like Cardiff or QMUL i only have 2 strong passes, one being a retake.

Are my GCSEs also offerable for unis like Leics, Lancs, Warwick??

And lastly, I study A Level English Lit, (Lang grade allowed me to take it at Sixth Form College), History and Politics and am predicted from my January(took in Dec) a BBB which I think is really good for first time round aswell as the low GCSEs.

I would like to go to a RG, to study Law or Politcs and IR or joint honours LLB Law and Politics

Any advice is wanted. Thank you
Original post by imtiaz6167
Hello guys, I posted a similar question before about getting into Russel Group Unis just still querieng for updates.

I retook English Lang for the Nov 2022 resit as well as Maths for the grade booster

My GCSE profile is
7 - English Language
6 - Geography
5 - Photography
4 - Business
4 - Maths Higher
3 - English Literature
3 - Spanish Foundation

This leaves my GCSE profile at a 765444333 which isnt exactly a very strong profile. I was wondering it would be worth it to retake a few (Literature) (maybe Business) to get a higher GCSE profile to get into those universities such as Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Nottingham, Manchester, Liverpool?? Or would they be enough - I am applying for Law which asks for a 4-6 in Lang but like Cardiff or QMUL i only have 2 strong passes, one being a retake.

And lastly, I study A Level English Lit, (Lang grade allowed me to take it at Sixth Form College), History and Politics and am predicted from my January(took in Dec) a BBB which I think is really good for first time round aswell as the low GCSEs.

I would like to go to a RG, to study Law or Politcs and IR or joint honours LLB Law and Politics

Most universities don't care that much about GCSEs, it would probably be a better use of your time to focus on getting the best A level grades possible. If the university has maths/english requirements you don't meet, then you would have to retake, but otherwise it's probably not worth it.
Your GCSEs might be an issue but really it’s your A-levels that you need to focus on improving.
BBB isn’t going to be sufficient for most RG unis unless you’re contextual (are you?) but even then you’d need to check as some might not go that low. Some will go AAB-ABB. You can sometimes get offered lower if you complete the pathway/realising opportunities scheme but they also sometimes have minimum GCSE grades. I know for some courses Newcastle Uni pathways want a 6 in maths.

Really, I think you need to look at each uni in turn as they’re all different & they’ll all say on their websites what they’ll accept & info about RO programmes etc. There’s no size fits all here.

My GCSE profile is
7 - English Language
6 - Geography
5 - Photography
4 - Business
4 - Maths Higher
3 - English Literature
3 - Spanish Foundation

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham.

I have had a look the law and politics and IR courses at Nottingham and like some others have said the focus is a lot more on A levels. If you have a look at the links I have attached you can see that they only require 'a minimum of five GCSEs at grade 4 (C) or above, which must include English'.
I would recommend focusing on A levels and any entry exams or interview prep that will help you stand out and meet the A level grade boundaries.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions about Nottingham as a uni, the course, city, accommodation etc just let me know,
Emily :smile:

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Politics-and-International-Relations-BA
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Law-LLB
Forget about your GCSEs they are fine.

Your predicted grades will not be good enough for the unis mentioned

Leicester and Lancaster will take you though.

Look to see if you’re eligible for contextual offer. That offer would be AAB but it’s still worth a try to apply.
If eligible for contextual offer I would apply 3 of the RG unis and Leicester and Lancaster. The later will give you an offer don’t worry.

If you’re not eligible apply Liverpool they take in anyone lol.

My GCSE profile is
7 - English Language
6 - Geography
5 - Photography
4 - Business
4 - Maths Higher
3 - English Literature
3 - Spanish Foundation

Hi!

I am a third-year student at Lancaster university. As others have said universities focus far more on A-Levels than GCSEs so I wouldn't stress about your GCSEs too much! The general entry requirements for Law at Lancaster are AAB (Here is the link if you would like to take a look: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/law-llb-hons-m100/#course-entry.)

I assume you are in your first year of A-Levels, so you have plenty of time to prep for your exams and BBB is a great starting point! Focusing on other extracurriculars around your subject area that you can talk about in your personal statement will also help your application stand out!

I hope this helps and I am happy to answer any other questions you may have! :smile:

- Florence (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 6
I got an offer today from university of Bristol to study law and my GCSEs are 766655553 so you should be fine! ((:

Quick Reply

Latest