The Student Room Group

Southampton vs York as a firm choice

I'm at a crossroads as to whether to choose York or Southampton as my firm choice on UCAS.

I'm applying for the same course (Physics BSc, UCAS Code: F300) and was wondering which would be better overall. York has more options relating to what I want to study post-BSc (namely fusion and theoretical physics) but as of writing, I'm applying for a scholarship at Southampton (up to twenty thousand total over the entire course, subject to performance) which has obvious upsides.

My plans after completing my course are more or less identical (as mentioned, fusion or theoretical physics), I'm just concerned with how either university compares against each other.
It's difficult to choose between 2 good unis but here are some things to consider:

- which city appeals to you more, use google maps to check out what other things there might be in the city besides the uni
- Check out uni rankings for your course and general rankings for the uni itself.
- Whilst I wish you the best of luck with the scholarship, it's not something that is set in stone - so don't make the scholarship your entire reason for choosing that uni - all unis offer some form of scholarship and there are alternative ways to get a scholarship e.g. competitions
- course content - go for what you find interesting and useful - hopefully you should be able to find breakdowsn of modules taught by the unis online (I was able to do this for my course - and i was able to see a glimpse of what was to be taught)
- reviews! there are so many! check out the; which? uni website for statistical data on the unis

I hope this was helpful, Good Luck :smile:
Original post by Brain_In_A_Jar
I'm at a crossroads as to whether to choose York or Southampton as my firm choice on UCAS.

I'm applying for the same course (Physics BSc, UCAS Code: F300) and was wondering which would be better overall. York has more options relating to what I want to study post-BSc (namely fusion and theoretical physics) but as of writing, I'm applying for a scholarship at Southampton (up to twenty thousand total over the entire course, subject to performance) which has obvious upsides.

My plans after completing my course are more or less identical (as mentioned, fusion or theoretical physics), I'm just concerned with how either university compares against each other.

You have several months before you have to decide. Go and visit both if you have not already.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending