The Student Room Group

A Level History: AQA Russia

hi, i was wondering how everyone gets content memorised and how to get an A* in a level history😭. i think i’m decent at it but i’m struggling so much with remembering content as it’s way too much and i really need to get an A*. i’m in year 12 btw (doing AQA Russia and British Empire)
(edited 1 year ago)
I blurt my knowledge then use a coloured pen + a textbook/guide to fill in things I didnt know, and then focus my revision on making sure I understand and remember that for next time through flashcards and mindmaps!

the content is super heavy, and it wont get better in year 13, so I suggest just going over the content every once in a while so it's still in your head in the longterm!
Reply 2
Original post by ishr_alm
I blurt my knowledge then use a coloured pen + a textbook/guide to fill in things I didnt know, and then focus my revision on making sure I understand and remember that for next time through flashcards and mindmaps!

the content is super heavy, and it wont get better in year 13, so I suggest just going over the content every once in a while so it's still in your head in the longterm!

thanks so much😭😭 do you know any textbooks/books that are helpful for wider reading? and do you have any tips on how to tackle exam questions? thank you so much
Original post by z8846
thanks so much😭😭 do you know any textbooks/books that are helpful for wider reading? and do you have any tips on how to tackle exam questions? thank you so much

it depends on ur course, what modules are u doing?

for exam questions I have a strict structure; for 20 marks I have 3 PEEL points but for history ur evaluation doesnt have to be long anyways. U list atleast 3 evidences to support ur point and make it very clear what ur overall judgement is. say in ur intro point x is more strong and reinforce that throughout so u get points for clear judgement. Also, try and make a mini plan of the question by annotating it for the first 1-2 minutes so u fully understand what ur gonna say !!

30 marker interpretation qs - 1 hour (10 mins to read and annotate and 50 mins to write)
20 markers - 30 minutes
Reply 4
i’m doing AQA british empire and russia revolution and dictatorship.

thanks so much for your help it means so much😭
ok I have no clue about that topic and aqa since im doing ocr, but I hope my other tips were useful and I wish u luck!!
Original post by z8846
i’m doing AQA british empire and russia revolution and dictatorship.

thanks so much for your help it means so much😭
Original post by z8846
hi, i was wondering how everyone gets content memorised and how to get an A* in a level history😭. i think i’m decent at it but i’m struggling so much with remembering content as it’s way too much and i really need to get an A*. i’m in year 12 btw (doing AQA Russia and British Empire)

I think the main thing is to have a few different methods:
- Factor maps around themes are really useful as it is a great way to categorise information which will aid recall in exams
- Flash cards for the individual recall are great as even the process of making them is great
- Having a timeline can be helpful as reading through a really stripped-down one can help you practice recall
- Reading and highlighting textbook is something I do the day before

The key thing though is to group information into how your going to have to use it in exams, in breaking it down it becomes less daunting
Reply 7
Original post by Henryjay
I think the main thing is to have a few different methods:
- Factor maps around themes are really useful as it is a great way to categorise information which will aid recall in exams
- Flash cards for the individual recall are great as even the process of making them is great
- Having a timeline can be helpful as reading through a really stripped-down one can help you practice recall
- Reading and highlighting textbook is something I do the day before

The key thing though is to group information into how your going to have to use it in exams, in breaking it down it becomes less daunting

thank you so much for the help!!! i think the themes will be really useful; i’ll be sure to do that :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest