Is there life without university? Watch

Big Kabz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I mean could you be successful without going to uni? Is academia the be all and end all? What kind of other things are important in life (regarding employment)
Oladz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If your parents are Nigerian or from the Indian sub continent, there isnt.
nadiah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Of course you can, but jobs like that are usually very niche, and very hard to get into.
GeorgEGNT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yes it is, but only in certain professions. You can still have a very good career without even stepping foot in a university.
uthinkilltellu
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Big Kabz)
I mean could you be successful without going to uni? Is academia the be all and end all? What kind of other things are important in life (regarding employment)
Do I care?
Do you care?
Money.
Natasha X
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
i have been brainwashed into thinking there isn't!
nneka!
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oladz)
lol...so true, you would probably be disowned
J-E-N-O-V-A
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Create a business or come up with an idea. People that get high up into businesses without higher education are the ones I respect the most. Alan Sugar 'an all that.

Also there's not really much point in going to uni for careers in IT.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Life is a mickey mouse degree.
cpj1987
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say definitely. Life isn't about university at all; and even if we're only focusing on jobs/careers there are plenty that don't require degrees.
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oh my good god. =|
Makes you realise how brainwashed people have become.

Neither of my parents went to university and have good jobs with very good wages, they just took different routes, and I'm pretty sure that they earn quite a lot more than my friends whose parents have degrees.

Fair enough the market is changing and it was different back then, but university is not, and will never be the be all and end all.
QuantumTheory
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Oladz)
Hey now, let's be honest.
The last Nigerian who emailed me had millions of dollars in his bank account.
And his English was so poor, he can't have been to uni.
Dark Sun
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What a silly argument.

Life is as full an experience as you make it. University can be a part of it, but it isn't neccessarily a compulsory part of it.

Some of the most successfull people I know have never stepped foot in a university.
Big Kabz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I read this story about a kid genius who went to Oxford to study maths at 13 years old turned out to be a hooker later on.
Meekle72
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Electric_Dreams)
Oh my good god. =|
Makes you realise how brainwashed people have become.

Neither of my parents went to university and have good jobs with very good wages, they just took different routes, and I'm pretty sure that they earn quite a lot more than my friends whose parents have degrees.

Fair enough the market is changing and it was different back then, but university is not, and will never be the be all and end all.
So true. Neither of my rents went to university, but they worked hard at their jobs (mum works for royal mail, and my dad's a technical engineer) they didn't need to go to uni to provide me and my brother with a comfortable life and send us both to university. I am going because i want to have the experience of living on my own and living my own lifestyle. It will help me become more independent and i can have a fun time and learn more about the subject i have a passion for, but i don't have any less respect for those who choose not to go to uni.
J-E-N-O-V-A
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I read this story about a kid genius who went to Oxford to study maths at 13 years old turned out to be a hooker later on.
I'd tap that.
*ChocolateOrange*
Report 10 years ago
Of course you could, It still involves a lot of hard work though.

No.

Depends what sector of work you want to get into.
Electric_Dreams
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Meekle72)
I don't have any less respect for those who choose not to go to uni.
:ditto:
To be honest I think that given general media/school/parental pressure and propaganda it is quite brave to not go to university, providing you have the chance.
fisherman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:shifty:
(Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
Create a business or come up with an idea. People that get high up into businesses without higher education are the ones I respect the most. Alan Sugar 'an all that.

Also there's not really much point in going to uni for careers in IT.

You don't need any kind of qualification to do well in business, in my opinion. The things that make you succeed are ambition, natural ability, and determination. It amuses me how many people go to uni to do business, when most successful businesspeople do not. I knew that even though I love business, I would never do a business degree. Because what can you learn? Legal stuff? Getting funding? etc. I don't think the creativity to do business can be taught. Sure, you can get someone to try, but they'll never master it.
Lizsco3
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're good at something, and know what you want to do with your skills, I think you can be successful.

For example, my uncle never got past GCSEs and now has his own printer company, and is more (financially) successful than my dad and other uncle, who did go to reputable universities.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (115)
72.78%
No (43)
27.22%

Watched Threads