The Student Room Group

A level/IB choices

Hi, I am currently a student in year 11 and I am confused about what a levels/ Ib choices I should pick as I am finding it confusing to decide between going for more humanities based subjects that would be required for a degree such as PPE at Oxford or more science based choices to apply for something like natural sciences at Cambridge/other unis. Is there any possible way I could keep both options open or any advice of choosing between the two as I am not sure which degree I would enjoy more? Thanks!
Please stop making multiple threads on the same topic.

Also you don't need to have done any humanities based subjects to apply to PPE at Oxford, you just need A-level Maths (which is required for natural sciences at Cambridge also).
Original post by guppy22
Hi, I am currently a student in year 11 and I am confused about what a levels/ Ib choices I should pick as I am finding it confusing to decide between going for more humanities based subjects that would be required for a degree such as PPE at Oxford or more science based choices to apply for something like natural sciences at Cambridge/other unis. Is there any possible way I could keep both options open or any advice of choosing between the two as I am not sure which degree I would enjoy more? Thanks!

Hey!

I’m Oliver and am currently a third year in natural sciences at Lancaster University.
Different universities will run natural sciences differently but at Lancaster there is a range of pathways available across all areas of science such as chemistry, biology, physics, maths, psychology, earth science and many more. In first year you get to pick 3 of these pathways which you can then narrow down in future years as your interests progress. The full list of pathways and entry requirements for Lancaster can be found here: https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/natural-sciences/
I know there is also there is also the option to take a non science subject as as your third pathway and throughout your degree 25% of your credits can be in a non science subject.
I personally take chemistry and biology pathways and have really valued the multi-disciplinary approach to learning and I can only imagine this would amplified by taking a non science subject too!
One of the best things about natural sciences is the vast range of experiences you get and people you meet. Since you study alongside the single honours students across multiple departments, you get to see so many more faces and there is never a lonely lecture.

Hope that is helpful and best of luck with your decision 😊Feel free to ask me any other questions if you have any

Oliver (Student Ambassador)
Original post by guppy22

Heya!
I would recommend looking at entry requirements for each of the subjects and unis and note down what they ask for. For PPE they state they want maths (here) and for Cambridge Natural Sciences (here) they want you to have at least 2 sciences it seems (bio,chem,maths etc). So you can keep both options open by having maths at least and possibly choose bio/chem/physics :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Original post by guppy22

Hey,

I am a current 4th year at the uni of Nottingham and studied natural sciences as my undergrad degree.

As you are probably aware each uni works natural sciences degrees differently but at Nottingham you take 3 subjects in 1st year and drop to 2 in 2nd and 3rd year. I have left a link below if any of the subject combinations interest you
The subjects you need the A level for are:
Biology
Chemistry
Maths
Physics
You don't need the A level for:
Psychology
Cancer science
Ecosystems and environment
Earth sciences
Archaeology

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/naturalsciences/study-with-us/index.aspx

Liberal arts may also be something to look at as you could combine some science subjects with humanities such as maths, psychology, English lit, geography, politics.

https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/course/Liberal-Arts-BA

For now, as simple as it sounds, I would recommend just taking the subjects you enjoy and that leave you with the most options. For example, Nottingham is one of the unis that you don't need maths for to study natural sciences so this could keep your options open a bit more.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions just let me know,
Emily :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest