The Student Room Group

Is it possible for me to get into a good university?

I'm currently in year 12 doing 3 A levels - English Literature, Politics and History and I'm predicted 3 As so far (hopefully bringing that up to 3 A*s by the end of the year).
GCSES: 9 in Business, 9 in History, 8 in English lang, 87 in Combined Science, 7 in English lit, 7 in Maths, 7 in RE, 6 in Spanish (4 A*s, 3 As, 1 B). My main concern is if that one 6/B in Spanish is going to affect my uni applications at all? I'm really anxious about this and I would like some advice or reassurance. I'm planning to either do a Law course at Uni or a History course then do a conversion, please advise me on this too. I'm thinking about applying to King's College or UCL as I know Oxford is completely out of the picture with the B that I got, but all these universities are extremely competitive so it's all worrying me honestly. I think the best grades I'll get next year will be 3 A*s plus hopefully a distinction in my EPQ on law.

If anyone knows if KCL/UCL is worth applying to please let me know, as well as if I should do a 3 year Law degree or 3 years History + 1 year conversion :smile:
My plan is very similar to yours, I was going to do a law course but I applied for history instead with the intention of doing the conversion post-grad. Your GCSEs are certainly better than mine, hell, I even have a 6 in GCSE History. However, my predicted grades are A*A*A in English Lit, Law, and History respectively but you can get yours to that level by Year 13.

I sent my university application off one week ago, I now have offers for v100 History from top institutions such as Durham and Edinburgh. I'm yet to hear from UCL but even if I get an offer I'll be prioritising Durham over it. I've spent countless hours researching problems like this, as I was once in your state of anxiety, and I can assure you that (outside of Oxford) if you ace the LNAT and get your predicted grades up you will be a great applicant. If you're applying for history the same applies, get your predicted grades higher and your GCSEs will not (assuming you meet their stated requirements) hinder your chance of success.

Focus on getting the top grades throughout this year and I'm sure you'll do great.

Good luck.
(edited 1 year ago)
This has to be a joke, bro most universites dont even care about gsce
Reply 3
Original post by Man123451
This has to be a joke, bro most universites dont even care about gsce

Sadly no this isn’t a joke, I’m genuinely very anxious about this. I did some reading online though and it said overall GCSE profile will be considered in the application? And the people who normally get into top unis like KCL, UCL, Oxford etc have 9s/8s which is why the 6 really stresses me out - I’ll probably get really upset if I don’t get into one of the top unis in London so I wrote this, hope I don’t come across as fishing for compliments or anything I just genuinely wanted reassurance/advice :smile:
History is not an especially difficult subject to get into, even at well ranked uni’s. It would have to be very elite to care about your GCSE profile beyond the minimum requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
History is not an especially difficult subject to get into, even at well ranked uni’s. It would have to be very elite to care about your GCSE profile beyond the minimum requirements.

What about Law? Isn't that very competitive?
Original post by julianjoy

Law is certainly more competitive than history. But even so, the vast majority of courses aren’t over-subscribed, so it really depends where you are aiming. As you note, you can always do a conversion from another subject.

You're overthinking it. As already explained, your GCSEs are good enough for just about anywhere outside of Oxford so you need to focus on your predicted grades now. I remember being in your position, and despite people telling me that my grades were good enough I remained anxious, so I doubt these replies are going to be enough for you - you'll have to make your own mind up. The LNAT performance will significantly outweigh the GCSEs if you're going for law.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Admit-One

I know that LSE cares a lot about the GCSE profile, not sure if it’s an anomaly though.
Original post by Dschingis_1
I know that LSE cares a lot about the GCSE profile, not sure if it’s an anomaly though.

LSE explicitly states that they are looking for 'a strong set of GCSE grades including the majority at A (or 7) and A* (or 8-9)', to my knowledge it is the only university outside of Oxbridge (for history anyway) that asks for such a profile. Either way, the thread owner's grades satisfy this requirement IMO.
Original post by Dschingis_1

I’d count them among the small number of elite Law programmes. To be honest, even my own law course scores a GCSE profile, but we’re not looking for miracles so it’s not going to be a hindrance outside of a few outlier courses.
I'm currently in year 12 doing 3 A levels - English Literature, Politics and History and I'm predicted 3 As so far (hopefully bringing that up to 3 A*s by the end of the year).
GCSES: 9 in Business, 9 in History, 8 in English lang, 87 in Combined Science, 7 in English lit, 7 in Maths, 7 in RE, 6 in Spanish (4 A*s, 3 As, 1 B). My main concern is if that one 6/B in Spanish is going to affect my uni applications at all? I'm really anxious about this and I would like some advice or reassurance. I'm planning to either do a Law course at Uni or a History course then do a conversion, please advise me on this too. I'm thinking about applying to King's College or UCL as I know Oxford is completely out of the picture with the B that I got, but all these universities are extremely competitive so it's all worrying me honestly. I think the best grades I'll get next year will be 3 A*s plus hopefully a distinction in my EPQ on law.

If anyone knows if KCL/UCL is worth applying to please let me know, as well as if I should do a 3 year Law degree or 3 years History + 1 year conversion :smile:

The answer to your main question is: yes, you will certainly get into a good university and you need not worry about those GCSE grades.

The important thing is to do well in your A levels. You mentioned that your predicted grades are currently AAA. You also said that you were undecided about whether to apply to study Law or History and you expressed a preference for UCL or KCL. Of these, UCL is generally the more competitive. Their LLB in Law requires A*AA and GCSE Maths and English at grade 6 or above. Their BA in History, on the other hand, requires AAA and GCSE Maths and English at grade 5 or B. They are also quite explicit about their policy on GCSE grades, pointing out that they pay more attention to the grades in subjects you will be studying with them at degree level.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/culture-online/ask-expert/your-questions-answered/how-important-are-your-gcses-when-applying-ucl#:~:text=All%20courses%20at%20UCL%20require,course%20you%27re%20interested%20in.

Furthermore, significantly more applicants gain entry to their History degree than to the LLB and if you opted for History you wouldn't need to take the LNAT.

If your aim is to become a solicitor, you won't need to do a conversion course if you choose History because the new Solicitors' Qualifying Examination (SQE) is open to graduates in any subject, although studying Law would obviously help. You would only need to take a conversion course if you wanted to become a barrister.

So don't fret about those very respectable GCSE results! Concentrate instead on your A levels. And you could always hedge your bets: History at UCL and Law somewhere a little less demanding, perhaps?
(edited 1 year ago)
This is your classic TSR post right here
Original post by Sandrriana
Wrong most of the top unis care about GCSE I’m currently in yr 13 and the amount of ppl that have been rejected because of their GCSE results it’s unreal

They were referring to 'most unis' though, not top unis. They're right, by volume, the vast majority of courses in the UK don't score the candidates overall GCSE profile. For very oversubscribed courses, they will.
Sadly no this isn’t a joke, I’m genuinely very anxious about this. I did some reading online though and it said overall GCSE profile will be considered in the application? And the people who normally get into top unis like KCL, UCL, Oxford etc have 9s/8s which is why the 6 really stresses me out - I’ll probably get really upset if I don’t get into one of the top unis in London so I wrote this, hope I don’t come across as fishing for compliments or anything I just genuinely wanted reassurance/advice :smile:

People with worse GSCE have gotten into Oxford, your GSCE's and A-level's predicted show your a top student

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending