The Student Room Group

which a-levels and uni course?

Hi,
I'm currently in year 12 and am doing Maths, Religious studies, Classics and Economics. We have to choose one of these to do as our AS.
Currently I want to do Maths, Classics and RS and drop Econ.
However, I want to do PPE or Philosophy and politics at uni so it might be helpful doing Econ.
The only reason I would do PPE over PP is because it pays more after graduation. Is this stupid that its the only reason?
Should I just push through with doing econ so that I could get a better salary?
Thanks!
Original post by ketchupavalanche
Hi,
I'm currently in year 12 and am doing Maths, Religious studies, Classics and Economics. We have to choose one of these to do as our AS.
Currently I want to do Maths, Classics and RS and drop Econ.
However, I want to do PPE or Philosophy and politics at uni so it might be helpful doing Econ.
The only reason I would do PPE over PP is because it pays more after graduation. Is this stupid that its the only reason?
Should I just push through with doing econ so that I could get a better salary?
Thanks!

Unless the degree you are going for is specifically accredited in a regulated industry (e.g. engineering, healthcare, education, law, accounting, finance, academics), then the degree subject matter usually doesn't matter (although quantitative degrees tend to be preferred over nonquantitative degrees).

The differences in employment prospects between PP and PPE are very little. You might be eligible to go into economics with PPE (although I haven't come across a case study where this was the case), but if economics isn't your thing then it's not going to matter much. Other than that, you can more or less go into any job that asks for any degree or no degree with either degrees, including most things in business, civil service, law, accounting, finance, teaching, publishing, journalism, hospitality, tech, etc.

Also, I have not seen a PPE degree course where it specifically says that you need an A Level in economics. Economics at A Level is different to that at degree level (or so I am told). You will be taught the things you will need to know from the ground up. If you have done A Level economics, then it might give you a bit of a leg up, but the mathematical knowledge will likely come in handy more than the theories.

Maths is a respected subject and required for a number of degree courses. However, it's not going to be much relevant if you are going to study PP. It's more relevant if you decide to go into PPE (since a number of universities require this for their courses).

Your pay will likely be determined by factors such as skills, experience, capabilitiy to handle the job, relevant and specific qualifications, etc. I have not seen a case where employers will determine how much you are paid purely based on which subject you took at university. As mentioned before, your degree will allow you to be eligible for certain roles if it is accredited and recognised by regulated industries, otherwise your degree subject tend to be irrelevant.

If going into economics is not your thing, then just pick a degree and the A Levels you can get the highest grades in. The only A Level I would recommend keeping is maths should you ever change your mind and do some other degree. Classics will be required for degrees in classics. Other than that, religious studies and economics are not required subjects as far as I know.

Quick Reply

Latest