The Student Room Group

what uni course combinations are possible

Im studying maths further maths physics and Economic.

Im wondering if its possible to apply for unis for different courses. For example I want to study maths and economics at LSE , maths and computer science at oxford and imperial, and computer science at UCL. Is this possible if my personal statement kind of shows a mixture of my liking for all these subjects.
I knew someone from my class that wanted to apply for separate subjects, so she wrote 2 personal statements ; I'm not sure if you can still do that - but it's worth talking to your tutor about. It can be possible to blend everything into 1 personal statement, however you'll have to make sure it is well balanced and that parts link to one another so it has good readability.
Writing about all those subjects in your PS will just most likely mean you won't get offers from any of them. Particularly LSE, unless you tailor it to them.

You get one PS for all your choices and you should thus apply to essentially the same course across the board (you could manage to apply to e.g. both maths and CS as well as single honours CS courses with one degree; you would not reasonably make a competitive application for both economics courses and CS courses simultaneously with the same degree).

Stop chasing prestige mindlessly and think about what you actually want to study, apply to that course, and write a PS that is based on your genuine interest in the academic subject and not just how much money you think it'll make you. Since that is clearly the rationale for you choosing those choices and unis...

Spoiler

Original post by stilk
Im studying maths further maths physics and Economic.

Im wondering if its possible to apply for unis for different courses. For example I want to study maths and economics at LSE , maths and computer science at oxford and imperial, and computer science at UCL. Is this possible if my personal statement kind of shows a mixture of my liking for all these subjects.

I wrote my personal statement for 4 different (but similar) degrees and received offers in each of these subjects, so yes it is possible! Just focus your PS on things that you can link to each subject, e.g. I linked my enjoyment of physics to understanding the world around me which I then linked back to geophysics. Bear in mind this may make you a less favourable candidate and you are applying to some very competitive courses. Try and find an angle on each experience/book u might hv read that links to the other degree. I'd check to see if any of the universities you are looking to apply to will allow you to send in an alternate PS, although I seriously doubt LSE would allow that tbh. Since maths is a common factor in all of those degrees I would start with your interest in that if you are willing to take the risk. Good luck!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest