The Student Room Group

The Brain AQA GCSE Biology

Hey, I was just doing my revision for biology when I saw on the AQA specification that you should be able to 'Evaluate the benefits
and risks of procedures carried out on the brain and nervous system.' Maybe a 6 mark question could come up? But the only points I have managed to find to answer the question are :
- Improve quality of someone's life
- Risks of permanent damage and side-effects as we don't fully know how the the brain/nervous system works.
If anyone could think of any other points to answer the question it would be much appreciated :smile:
Been a while since I done AQA GCSE Biology but you can assess whether it’s short term or long term.
Reply 2
Original post by convivialkiwi
Hey, I was just doing my revision for biology when I saw on the AQA specification that you should be able to 'Evaluate the benefits
and risks of procedures carried out on the brain and nervous system.' Maybe a 6 mark question could come up? But the only points I have managed to find to answer the question are :
- Risks of permanent damage and side-effects as we don't fully know how the the brain/nervous system works.
If anyone could think of any other points to answer the question it would be much appreciated :smile:

I'll try to find a mark scheme answer to this question but based off the spec and text guides this is what I got for procedures on the brain. Feel free to add anything or point out if I'm wrong anywhere.

Risks
The brain is extremely delicate and hard to access because of the skull.; accidental damage could lead to speech or motor issues, or changes to personality which are permanent, or side effects.
The brain is extremely complex, don't fully understand how it works, making procedures difficult.
Benefits:
MRI scans can produce a detailed picture of the brains structures. Scientists can then see what parts of the brain are most stimulated when a patient is doing something, allowing them to further understand the brain's complex structure.
Electrically stimulating areas of the brain, and look at effects on person's behaviour. Scientists can pin specific regions to functions.
Treatments and surgeries could improve a person's quality of life

Since you are evaluating the question, you'll possibly get a 6 mark q. That's because in evaluation questions, you will be given some facts, data or other information. You'll need to use the info as well as your knowledge of the topic, as an evidence for an assessment. You should also expand on your points and add a conclusion. I'd give two benefits and risks, and justify them. A conclusion as well is normally needed.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by rysua
I'll try to find a mark scheme answer to this question but based off the spec and text guides this is what I got for procedures on the brain. Feel free to add anything or point out if I'm wrong anywhere.

Risks
The brain is extremely delicate and hard to access because of the skull.; accidental damage could lead to speech or motor issues, or changes to personality which are permanent, or side effects.
The brain is extremely complex, don't fully understand how it works, making procedures difficult.
Benefits:
MRI scans can produce a detailed picture of the brains structures. Scientists can then see what parts of the brain are most stimulated when a patient is doing something, allowing them to further understand the brain's complex structure.
Electrically stimulating areas of the brain, and look at effects on person's behaviour. Scientists can pin specific regions to functions.
Treatments and surgeries could improve a person's quality of life

Since you are evaluating the question, you'll possibly get a 6 mark q. That's because in evaluation questions, you will be given some facts, data or other information. You'll need to use the info as well as your knowledge of the topic, as an evidence for an assessment. You should also expand on your points and add a conclusion. I'd give two benefits and risks, and justify them. A conclusion as well is normally needed.

Thank you!! :smile:
Original post by convivialkiwi

Heya!
I havent done bio in a while myself but if it helps you could use Study mind free bio resources such as revision notes that go over the material to help you out or you can also use the mark schemes :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest