The Student Room Group

how to get likes on dating apps as a male?

I've tried the major dating apps for about 5 months now on and off since May, I've liked about 150 profiles; changed my profile around countless times. i even paid to boost my profile. tbf i have had maybe 20 likes but most were out my filters and or/desperate. in fact i've only spoke to one person and that turned into a weird conversation. i think i'm okay looking and my profile is basically what i think is the best i can get it right now. i'm going to try for one more week. does anyone have some tips.
Reply 1
Meet people in real life...
Reply 2
Get some feedback on your profile from female friends. But basically unless you’re well above average attractiveness it not a good strategy. Far better to to get out to some decent pubs where singles hang out
I'm no expert on dating apps (prefer meeting people IRL)... but it's supposedly all about the photos.

Despite what incels would have us believe, you don't need to be a model type... but the photos, themselves need to be good and say something about you.

If you're serious about dating apps, I would say that it's perhaps worth investing in something like a professional photo-shoot for these purposes. With all those "picture perfect" photos you see in fashion magazines etc. you never appreciate how much work goes into this. Obviously, you've got the model... but there are many other factors contributing to the picture including:- the photographer themselves; the background; the lighting; the make-up artists; even the distance and specific angles they take the picture are all different ingredients to the cooking pot.

Yes, it does mean shelling out a few quid (or maybe for free if you can sweet-talk some fashion students lol), but you're bound to see a substantial improvement if you did that. Youi say you're OK looking... maybe train for a couple of weeks before the shoot so you can add your own 2p's worth to the photo :cool:

Also make sure your description is the right length. No one wants to read War & Peace on a dating profile... on the other hand, if it's only a sentence, then it looks like you haven't bothered. A couple of concise paragraphs stating a bit about you, your background / interests and what you're looking for should be plenty.

As for everyone else who says meet IRL, there's nothing wrong with doing both... you could hit the pub / club scene and have the online dating in the background. Afterall, the more proactive you are, the better your chances of meeting someone.
Original post by Anonymous
I've tried the major dating apps for about 5 months now on and off since May, I've liked about 150 profiles; changed my profile around countless times. i even paid to boost my profile. tbf i have had maybe 20 likes but most were out my filters and or/desperate. in fact i've only spoke to one person and that turned into a weird conversation. i think i'm okay looking and my profile is basically what i think is the best i can get it right now. i'm going to try for one more week. does anyone have some tips.

- Good quality photos (at least 3)
- Try not to use photos where you are with a lot of women (it will come across as if you are not serious about a relationship)
- Keep your bio short - describe your ideal date
- Have you tried Bumble where the woman starts the convosation first?

Quick Reply

Latest