the Scottish system confuses me. Watch

afua12
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm thinking about applying to Edinburgh, but I'm a bit confused regarding how many subjects you actually take.

I'm thinking about switching one of my choices (Sheffield - German and Chinese) to Edinburgh Chinese, as I really just do not like Sheffield. I thought that it was possible to take subjects outside of your main degree in your first and second years, and so I'd be able to continue with German, even though it wouldn't officially be a part of my degree??

However, when I looked on the website, they mentioned nothing about taking other subjects, but I'm sure I've seen on here that you can do this at Scottish universities?
Me Myself I
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm at Aberdeen, not Edinburgh, so I may not be able to give you 100% accurate answers, but on most courses in Scottish universities you are required to take extra subjects for the first and second years to gain enough credits and give you a broader knowledge.

I'm pretty sure that you'd be able to take German alongside Chinese in the first couple of years of your degree, but if in doubt, ring the admissions office. When I was applying and was very confused about the system I rang up Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen (I'd got got offers from all three) and they were all very helpful
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/08-09/dpts/HSS_FINAL/154.html

There you go, this would be your course outline. You have 40 credits spare in first year so you would be able to take German providing it fitted in your timetable (which you can check at www.timetab.ed.ac.uk) then you could carry that on into 2nd year if you didn't do the optional East Asian Civilisation course.

They wouldn't say it on the course website as its more of a given, and each subject only tells you about their own course. Its assumed that you know about the tripos system.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (191)
18.62%
No (622)
60.62%
Not really bothered about them (213)
20.76%

Watched Threads