The Student Room Group

Learn direct - applying for nursing at the age of 40+

Hello
so my mum has decided she wants to study nursing in the UK but she hasn't done her a levels. This agency offers her to do a one year course that would be equivalent to a levels and she can apply January 2024. Has anyone ever used this agency? Is it legitimate? Should we proceed? £1400+ is how much it costs

https://www.learndirect.com/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=128687812&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8jnlZNd3eCA97aOvS_BgcT_o7XciVPzxkAY9hAWPFiPqs6ngUrN066VqerTEtZ5AeztE7jsChF8A3u4mtM5Uaj80_B_IvfE8dp-USUMFa4RE3THKg&utm_content=128687812&utm_source=hs_automation
Original post by Riba232
Hello
so my mum has decided she wants to study nursing in the UK but she hasn't done her a levels. This agency offers her to do a one year course that would be equivalent to a levels and she can apply January 2024. Has anyone ever used this agency? Is it legitimate? Should we proceed? £1400+ is how much it costs

https://www.learndirect.com/?utm_medium=email&_hsmi=128687812&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8jnlZNd3eCA97aOvS_BgcT_o7XciVPzxkAY9hAWPFiPqs6ngUrN066VqerTEtZ5AeztE7jsChF8A3u4mtM5Uaj80_B_IvfE8dp-USUMFa4RE3THKg&utm_content=128687812&utm_source=hs_automation

Learndirect is legitimate, but they are not the only course priovider offering courses allow you to go to university if you don't have A Levels.
Access courses would probably be the cheapest and fastest means of getting into university for nursing.

I haven't used Learn Direct yet, but I have read the reviews for some of their courses, so I am a bit reluctant to use them for certain courses.

I think the key thing is to find the appropriate degree courses that allows your mum to go into the area of nursing that she wants to go into. I don't know what area this is, so it's difficult to advise.

The steps one should take if she wants to be a nurse in the UK are:

From the specific job profile, go to the sections where it lists ways to become the sort of nurse that she wants to do. For most nursing jobs, she would need an NMC approved nursing degree (https://www.nmc.org.uk/education/approved-programmes/). However, this is not required for all nursing jobs, so she would need to check.

From the list of approved degrees or appropriate qualifications, go to the specific degree course page and look at the entry requirements of the specific course that she wants to do.

Pick and choose the appropriate Level 3 courses that she needs to do in order to be eligible for the degree courses that she wants to do

For step 3, it's important to note that not all degree courses would accept certain A Levels or Access courses. If biology is a required subject, the Access course would require the equivalent of 15 credits in biology subjects in order for the Access course to be accepted (assuming they accept Access courses for the specific degree). It's also important to note that even if the university accept Access courses, they might not accept them for all degree courses so it's prudent to check.
To my knowledge, there are a range of nursing courses that do not require specific subjects so long she attains the appropriate grades. In other words, she could do her A Levels/Access course in any subject such as business, computer science, economics, etc. so long she attains the appropriate grades. However, I would still check on an individual basis for each degree.

If you want me to help give further pointers, I would need her to do Steps 1 and 2. If she has a preference of what sort of university that she attends, I would need her to do Step 3 as well. I can help with Step 4 based on the above.

If all fails, I would always check with the undergrad admissions team at the university's life/health science department (not general undergrad admissions) since they would be the ones who determine whether a certain qualification is acceptable.

It's against UK university policies (as well as the law) to discriminate applicants to based on age unless she is below 17. If your mum wants to apply for the degree at 60, 80 years old, universities would still consider her (provided that she meets all of the entry requirements).
Original post by Riba232
Hello

Age is not the issue with nursing okay... I have been studying nursing over the last three years alongside older people mostly in late 40's and early 50's and they are about to hopefully qualify later on this year as nurses ( also some young people).

The main thing is that they are competent enough to do the job as a nurse on qualifying.

The main three A-levels is Maths, English and a science subject ( most universities wants people to have biology but others only requires a science subject) you'll need to look at those to check what the entry requirements are.

A lot of good points made in post #2 .

Once she gets through university and qualify as a nurse all she needs to do is prove to the any future employer that she meets the NMC approved credited nursing degree.

She can do a two years health and social care course at any local college and on passing this she'll be able to apply to majority ( if not) all universities for any nursing courses.

She could also apply for HCA or auxiliary nursing position at any hospitals and gain experience while attending college and then move on to university.

Final year nursing student in the UK
I have no experience with learn direct but I do with another online provider. I'm undertaking Access to HE diploma in science with Distance learning centre and my experience has been amazing and my tutor is the best.

If you don't mind me asking, why online? It's possible to get funding when undertaking an access course at a college. Student finance writes off the loan when the course is complete if the course is eligible for student finance. Check this website https://www.gov.uk/advanced-learner-loan

The two comments on here made really helpful points!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending