The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Could I get into Durham?

I want to apply to study Law at Durham for 2024 entry but my gcses are not the strongest. I got 8877776666. I study english lit, history , politics + EPQ. What is my chances of getting in with these stats:
- A*A*A / A*AA hopefully predicted grades
- A* hopefully predicted in EPQ (on law)
- Essay competition on law
- Attend debate club
- Mentor year 5s
- Run a book club with school
- Reading, podcasts etc on law
- Attend virtual lectures on law
- Clifford chance ready set law forage
- Law moocs
- at least 1 week of work experience at a firm
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by isobelharris06
I want to apply to study Law at Durham for 2024 entry but my gcses are not the strongest. I got 8877776666. I study english lit, history , politics + EPQ. What is my chances of getting in with these stats:
- Attend debate club
- Mentor year 5s
- Law moocs

I have like none of these achievements, and I didn’t do GCSEs but I got an offer in Dec (intl tho)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
- Attend debate club
- Mentor year 5s
- Law moocs

The typical offer is A*AA and the offer rate from Durham is surprisingly high at around 70% so you stand a pretty good chance of receiving an offer if you get those predicted grades. The only thing that could go against you is that Durham’s intake of privately educated students is the highest in the country, making up around 40% of their intake, which might make it more difficult for those from state schools.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Kilburn303
The typical offer is A*AA and the offer rate from Durham is surprisingly high at around 70% so you stand a pretty good chance of receiving an offer if you get those predicted grades. The only thing that could go against you is that Durham’s intake of privately educated students is the highest in the country, making up around 40% of their intake, which might make it more difficult for those from state schools.

Hi - What was your source for the statistic that Durham have highest intake of privately educated students in the country ?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi - What was your source for the statistic that Durham have highest intake of privately educated students in the country ?

There are multiple sites addressing the issue but the first I saw was an article by the Tab. Palatinate also wrote about the fact that they have the lowest intake rates for state school applicants.
(edited 1 year ago)
apply to their supported progression/sutton trust/step summer school if you can. if you get in and end up attending, they will give you something known as a 'guaranteed alternative offer'. the terms is that if you fully attend and participate in the summer school, and end up applying for the course that you attended for the summer school with the entry requirements and a satisfactory application, then you are 'guaranteed' to receive an alternative conditional offer.
also, they may not consider the lnat if you attend one of these (they did this for my cohort)

these programmes are very selective and are aimed at students with widening participation flags such as free school meals, state school educated, postcode statistics etc.
- Attend debate club
- Mentor year 5s
- Law moocs

Hi there

These elements would make your personal statement very strong as many students get offers without any legal experience (and as much as it would be helpful, it's not necessary at all). There are also no formal GCSE requirements for law, so you have no criteria to meet. They may be looked at if need be but if you had any mitigating circumstances, then your referees can mention them in the references and the admissions team will consider that. As for EPQs, the website states that they don't really offer any advantage over other applicants but will be considered when you apply.

I would just say have confidence and be patient, from what I can see you have as much a chance of getting an offer as anyone else :smile:

-Himieka

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending