The Student Room Logo

Caught shoplifting at Sainsbury’s

I got caught shoplifting at Sainbury’s. Yes I know I’m a piece of ****, I’m literally tearing myself apart cause I hate myself for it. It was those undercover security guys. They took my name, date of birth, and my address. I want to know if this will go on a criminal record, if I’ll receive any fine, and if a letter or something gets sent to my house. I would prefer if I can avoid telling my parents but I will if it’s unavoidable. Also, I did it twice before, so I don’t know how that will affect me. Please advise.

Scroll to see replies

How old are you
Under
18 ur ok
Reply 3
I would say the issue lies with the fact you’ve done it twice before, it’s very typical shops won’t do anything so they can build a case against you then grab you after a few times. It was no coincidence they caught you.
If they decide to take criminal proceedings then yes it could go on your record but they could just fine you and keep it as a civil matter. They do tend to me more lenient on children but that will be a lesson learnt.
I am beginning to wonder if half the posters on TSR have lifted from either Sainsburys or Primark.
Reply 5
Original post by Cakes are nice 9
Under
18 ur o

How old are you
No, Sainsbury's do not have the ability to put something on your criminal record. They also cannot fine you. So unless they refer the matter to the police and the police choose to take further action, you'll be fine on that front. I highly doubt they will get the police involved. With the strain on public services it's just not something the police would expect to get involved in. Sainsbury's are more than capable of managing it in house, and that seems to be what they've done.

In terms of what they will do the information you've given them, they probably won't write to your address. They'll keep the information of their own purposes in case they catch you again. The fact you've done it twice before is irrelevant if they didn't catch you. Apparently stealing on previous occasions didn't make you feel bad enough to stop doing this, so hopefully this will be the wake up call you need. Stop it.
Original post by Mac5501
I got caught shoplifting at Sainbury’s. Yes I know I’m a piece of ****, I’m literally tearing myself apart cause I hate myself for it. It was those undercover security guys. They took my name, date of birth, and my address. I want to know if this will go on a criminal record, if I’ll receive any fine, and if a letter or something gets sent to my house. I would prefer if I can avoid telling my parents but I will if it’s unavoidable. Also, I did it twice before, so I don’t know how that will affect me. Please advise.

Sounds to me that you're hating yourself and tearing yourself apart because you got caught and fear the consequences, not out of any sense of guilt.
Original post by ALEreapp
I would say the issue lies with the fact you’ve done it twice before, it’s very typical shops won’t do anything so they can build a case against you then grab you after a few times. It was no coincidence they caught you.
If they decide to take criminal proceedings then yes it could go on your record but they could just fine you and keep it as a civil matter. They do tend to me more lenient on children but that will be a lesson learnt.

Yea
Reply 9
If they didn’t contact the police then and there, they are unlikely to prosecute.
However they could ban you from that store, or all stores owned by them.

Don’t be an idiot and do it again.

Once you get a conviction it would come up on a CRB check (or whatever they are now called)
That would possibly be a bar to get on some university courses.
Some companies do a check on future employees.
Lying on an application is grounds for instant dismissal if it was discovered later.
I work in a supermarket
Really depends what you stole.
We had a lady who came in every day and stole stuff minor stuff but all added up. Manager finally had enough. Called police to report, the same day they were on her doorstep and had arrested her for theft and she was charged, pending court appearance.

Context is everything, chances even if they've only caught you this time they've seen you do it before
Reply 11
If you keep on doing this, do you think it is a cry for help? Mental health has been affected by the lockdown.
Original post by Lake Weir
If you keep on doing this, do you think it is a cry for help? Mental health has been affected by the lockdown.

Far more likely that they're just a thieving little git who got away with it before.
Reply 13
Original post by Lake Weir

Can you expand on how you think covid is somehow an excuse for being a thief? Or how poor mental health is for that matter?
Reply 14
Original post by Napp
Can you expand on how you think covid is somehow an excuse for being a thief? Or how poor mental health is for that matter?

Lockdown affected many peoples mental health negatively. When people are suffering they may sometimes do crazy things as a desperate plea for help and attention (not attention seeking.)
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
:confused:

I've posted in the wrong thread 🤦🏾*♀️.

Thanks for quoting me
Original post by Napp

Covid has been an excuse for everything

Id be more inclined to believe that poverty is increasing crime rates but OP doesn’t give reasons for why she is stealing, she could be just addicted to the thrill of it.
Reply 17
Original post by Amb/conf
Lockdown affected many peoples mental health negatively. When people are suffering they may sometimes do crazy things as a desperate plea for help and attention (not attention seeking.)

Indeed it did, more in the form of turning to drink drugs and violence than stealing though. To draw a link between depression//anxiety (one presumes those are the ones being referenced) and theft seems to do a gross disservice to people with said conditions.
Its one thing to try some attention grabbing, being a pikey doesn't seem the most fruitful way of doing it given you tend to try and keep that as quiet as possible though
Reply 18
Original post by Mac5501
Same here. Can you tell me what happened next???
Under
18 ur ok

I am only 14 and I got banned for life over 1 pound worth of sweets at least they could have banned me for a year or so but life is kinda extreme especially when you consider the price being 1 pound and you haven't eaten for the whole day

Quick Reply

Latest