The Student Room Group

gcse geography/economics

could someone please explain what thois means becuase io dont get what it means thankssince 2010, the governments aim has been to rebalance the economy. this has involved stabilising the secondary manufacturing sector by promoting high tech industries. there has been government strategies to level up by promoting opportunities in the less prosperous areas of the north of uk
Original post by M.H4kim
could someone please explain what thois means becuase io dont get what it means thankssince 2010, the governments aim has been to rebalance the economy. this has involved stabilising the secondary manufacturing sector by promoting high tech industries. there has been government strategies to level up by promoting opportunities in the less prosperous areas of the north of uk

I can't be certain that my interpretation is completely accurate, but as far as I can tell it means the following:
since 2010, the governments aim has been to rebalance the economy
For the past 12 years, the governments (of whichever countries this applies to) have been trying to balance balance out the deficits (whilst it can technically also be applied to surpluses) with tax revenues, country's savings, net exports.

this has involved stabilising the secondary manufacturing sector by promoting high tech industries
[Stabilising is probably a bad word to use in this context because it implies that the sector has been all over the place, whilst a more accurate way of describing this would be the decline of the secondary manufacturing sector.]
The manufacturing sector has been on the decline, and the governments have been trying to improve economic growth by promoting high tech industries. This can include offering subsidies, tax cuts, legal rights, etc. if the companies do certain things (e.g. locate in an area the governments want) or do things in a certain way (e.g. invest in technologies that meet minimum investment criteria, within a certain sub-sector, that would be used for a certain purpose).

there has been government strategies to level up by promoting opportunities in the less prosperous areas of the north of uk
The government (because in this context it's only referring to UK's government, not other countries) has been using such incentives and strategies mentioned above to promote or help provide employment, investment, business, and other similar opportunities in the poorer areas in the north of the country.

To be fair, the paragraph is not well written and a lot of the sentences are vague. There's no data, there's nothing specific, and it uses a lot of inappropriate and confusing terminology.

Personally, I have not come across any news or information of such government incentives for the last 12 years mentioning the above. Either a lot of it has been on the hush hush or it hasn't really made much of an impact. I would also have a long list of criticism regarding such incentives (depending on what they specifically are) since they aren't likely to contribute much to economic growth in the north, and the significance of the contribution to the country's economy is questionable at best.

Quick Reply

Latest