The Student Room Group

Assessment

Hello,
So I have a module with 2 assignments in which I revived a satisfactory for but my lecturer says I won’t get a good enough answer for the second assignment to pass, does this mean I have failed the whole thing? I haven’t uploaded the assignment yet as the feedback given, I’m really worried and not sure any to do, please any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you so much x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aliv.ad
Hello,
So I have a module with 2 assignments in which I revived a satisfactory for but my lecturer says I won’t get a good enough answer for the second assignment to pass, does this mean I have failed the whole thing? I haven’t uploaded the assignment yet as the feedback given, I’m really worried and not sure any to do, please any help would be extremely appreciated. Thank you so much x

Perhaps your lecturer was just trying to scare you into putting lot of effort into the second assignment? They can't know that you "won’t get a good enough answer for the second assignment to pass".

All you can do is try to make your second assignment as flawless as possible, and then see what happens. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
Perhaps your lecturer was just trying to scare you into putting lot of effort into the second assignment? They can't know that you "won’t get a good enough answer for the second assignment to pass".

All you can do is try to make your second assignment as flawless as possible, and then see what happens. Good luck!

Hello, thank you so much! However, She said that she only gave me a satisfactory to avoid administrative problems If she gave me an unsatisfactory, I’m so confused and scared 😭
Original post by Aliv.ad
Hello, thank you so much! However, She said that she only gave me a satisfactory to avoid administrative problems If she gave me an unsatisfactory, I’m so confused and scared 😭

How are your assignments grades? Are there only two possible grades: satisfactory or unsatisfactory? Is "satisfactory" a pass and "unsatisfactory" a fail?
Original post by Aliv.ad
Hello,

Hi there,
My understanding is that it can vary from university to university. From my experience you have to pass both assignments within a module to pass but I would check with your lecturer.

I do hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador
Reply 5
How are your assignments grades? Are there only two possible grades: satisfactory or unsatisfactory? Is "satisfactory" a pass and "unsatisfactory" a fail?

It says satisfactory is a pass but I’m just confused as what to do with the other assignment and how she could or said that x
Original post by Aliv.ad
It says satisfactory is a pass but I’m just confused as what to do with the other assignment and how she could or said that x

OK. So you first assignment has a grade of "satisfactory" (even though "she only gave me a satisfactory to avoid administrative problems If she gave me an unsatisfactory"). That's a pass, so let's forget about it and move on.

Your second assessment is the one you need to focus on. As I said earlier, there's no way she can know you "won’t get a good enough answer for the second assignment to pass". You just need to ensure you do so well in that she has no choice but to mark it as satisfactory/pass.

Do you have feedback from the first assignment which will allow you to improve when doing the second assignment? Or is the reason you keep saying "I’m just confused" is because you've no idea what was wrong with the first assignment, so don't know how to make the second assignment better?
Reply 7
OK. So you first assignment has a grade of "satisfactory" (even though "she only gave me a satisfactory to avoid administrative problems If she gave me an unsatisfactory"). That's a pass, so let's forget about it and move on.

Your second assessment is the one you need to focus on. As I said earlier, there's no way she can know you "won’t get a good enough answer for the second assignment to pass". You just need to ensure you do so well in that she has no choice but to mark it as satisfactory/pass.

Do you have feedback from the first assignment which will allow you to improve when doing the second assignment? Or is the reason you keep saying "I’m just confused" is because you've no idea what was wrong with the first assignment, so don't know how to make the second assignment better?

She said my outline for the question in assignment one was not even good enough for a level so that’s why she said I won’t pass 😔
Reply 8
Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Hi there,
My understanding is that it can vary from university to university. From my experience you have to pass both assignments within a module to pass but I would check with your lecturer.

I do hope this helps,

Eleanor F
Student Ambassador

Hello,

thank you, I hope I can get something sorted! 😊
Original post by Aliv.ad
She said my outline for the question in assignment one was not even good enough for a level so that’s why she said I won’t pass 😔

OK. So there's clearly some improvement required. Can you get hold of a "good" version of the first assignment (perhaps from someone else on the course) so you know what sort of quality is expected? Or can you get some advice from this particular lecturer about how your work could be improved? (Simply being told its "not even good enough for a level" isn't very helpful, unless it's accompanied by some constructive comments and to what you should have done differently.)
Reply 10
OK. So there's clearly some improvement required. Can you get hold of a "good" version of the first assignment (perhaps from someone else on the course) so you know what sort of quality is expected? Or can you get some advice from this particular lecturer about how your work could be improved? (Simply being told its "not even good enough for a level" isn't very helpful, unless it's accompanied by some constructive comments and to what you should have done differently.)

That’s literally all she said 😞 I don’t understand what she was trying to achieve by saying this? Like knowing I have to upload the second assignment. Do you think I’ll be kicked off, I’m in my last year, can you fail a module and still graduate? Thank you x
Original post by Aliv.ad
That’s literally all she said 😞 I don’t understand what she was trying to achieve by saying this? Like knowing I have to upload the second assignment. Do you think I’ll be kicked off, I’m in my last year, can you fail a module and still graduate? Thank you x

I can only assume she was trying to make you aware that she expected the quality of the second assignment to be a significant improvement over the first. Is it?

Different universities (and sometimes different courses) have different rules, but I don't know any which don't give you an opportunity to resit/retake a module. The mechanics and timing of doing so should be detailed in your university's academic regulations. Where are you studying?
Reply 12
I can only assume she was trying to make you aware that she expected the quality of the second assignment to be a significant improvement over the first. Is it?

Different universities (and sometimes different courses) have different rules, but I don't know any which don't give you an opportunity to resit/retake a module. The mechanics and timing of doing so should be detailed in your university's academic regulations. Where are you studying?

I have looked at the regulations but they seem to confusing to me, I am at the university of Gloucestershire studying history
Original post by Aliv.ad
I have looked at the regulations but they seem to confusing to me, I am at the university of Gloucestershire studying history

The regulations, here, use the terms "Satisfactory" and "Unsatisfactory" - as you've used above - which is reassuring. That's for "each element of assessment within a module" (by which I guess that mean "assignment"). Then, at the module level, you have "Satisfactory", "Unsatisfactory but with entitlement to reassessment", "Unsatisfactory without entitlement to reassessment due to non-submission" or "Unsatisfactory following reassessment".

Note that with "without entitlement to reassessment" option continues "...due to non-submission". So as long as you submit your second assignment, they can't give you that grade. That leaves them with "Satisfactory" (hurrah!), "Unsatisfactory but with entitlement to reassessment" or "nsatisfactory following reassessment".

My reading of this is that you will get an opportunity to be reassessed in this module, if that turns out to be necessary.

However, note: "6.12.1 Students who fail a compulsory module following the second full attempt will be deemed unable to meet the course requirements and withdrawn from the course at Exam Board". Is this module a compulsory module? If so, you only get one reassessment opportunity - the initial attempt and one reassessment.

I suggest that you contact Student Support (https://www.glos.ac.uk/student-support/) and/or MyHelp (https://connectglosac.sharepoint.com/sites/support-with-your-studies) to get more expert advice on exactly how these reassessments (if necessary) would work, and to get some help with this module itself.
Reply 14
The regulations, here, use so the terms "Satisfactory" and "Unsatisfactory" - as you've used above - which is reassuring. That's for "each element of assessment within a module" (by which I guess that mean "assignment"). Then, at the module level, you have "Satisfactory", "Unsatisfactory but with entitlement to reassessment", "Unsatisfactory without entitlement to reassessment due to non-submission" or "Unsatisfactory following reassessment".

Note that with "without entitlement to reassessment" option continues "...due to non-submission". So as long as you submit your second assignment, they can't give you that grade. That leaves them with "Satisfactory" (hurrah!), "Unsatisfactory but with entitlement to reassessment" or "nsatisfactory following reassessment".

My reading of this is that you will get an opportunity to be reassessed in this module, if that turns out to be necessary.

However, note: "6.12.1 Students who fail a compulsory module following the second full attempt will be deemed unable to meet the course requirements and withdrawn from the course at Exam Board". Is this module a compulsory module? If so, you only get one reassessment opportunity - the initial attempt and one reassessment.

I suggest that you contact Student Support (https://www.glos.ac.uk/student-support/) and/or MyHelp (https://connectglosac.sharepoint.com/sites/support-with-your-studies) to get more expert advice on exactly how these reassessments (if necessary) would work, and to get some help with this module itself.

So the module has two assignments and on the first I have a satisfactory, so with the second if I upload atleast something and fail it will I be able to do it again? Thank you so much for helping me it means a lot x
Original post by Aliv.ad
So the module has two assignments and on the first I have a satisfactory, so with the second if I upload atleast something and fail it will I be able to do it again? Thank you so much for helping me it means a lot x

It's not 100% clear to me from the regulations whether you'd need to do the entire module again (i.e. both assignments) or just the second assignment. I suspect you'll have to re-do both.

If this module (and the assignments within it) were being marked with a percentage and a letter grade, it would be very clear that you'd only need to re-do the second assignment. That's because of the repeated use of the word "element" below:

"6.10 Where compensation is not allowed between assessment elements within a module, and a student fails to pass all elements of assessment at the first attempt, the overall module result will be recorded as a qualified fail and a student may be provided with an opportunity for reassessment. In cases where a student passes the reassessed element, the overall module result shall be capped at 40D. In cases where a student fails to pass the reassessed element, the overall module result shall be recorded as 39F"

Given that your module isn't marked/graded this way, it's not clear how it would work.

Best case, you re-do just the second assignment. Worse case, you re-do both.
Reply 16
It's not 100% clear to me from the regulations whether you'd need to do the entire module again (i.e. both assignments) or just the second assignment. I suspect you'll have to re-do both.

If this module (and the assignments within it) were being marked with a percentage and a letter grade, it would be very clear that you'd only need to re-do the second assignment. That's because of the repeated use of the word "element" below:

"6.10 Where compensation is not allowed between assessment elements within a module, and a student fails to pass all elements of assessment at the first attempt, the overall module result will be recorded as a qualified fail and a student may be provided with an opportunity for reassessment. In cases where a student passes the reassessed element, the overall module result shall be capped at 40D. In cases where a student fails to pass the reassessed element, the overall module result shall be recorded as 39F"

Given that your module isn't marked/graded this way, it's not clear how it would work.

Best case, you re-do just the second assignment. Worse case, you re-do both.

But isn’t the first assignment already a pass as it’s a satisfactory?
Original post by Aliv.ad
But isn’t the first assignment already a pass as it’s a satisfactory?

Agreed. But the second one (the one you're about the submit) might not be. If that comes back as "Unsatisfactory" then the whole module will get graded as "Unsatisfactory but with entitlement to reassessment". That might mean you need to re-do the whole module - i.e. both assessments.

I agree that it wouldn't really make a lot of sense to make you re-do the first assessment, as it was satisfactory, but the regulations don't make it clear what you'll be asked to re-do. That's really why I was nudging you towards Student Support, as I suspect they'd know.
Reply 18
Agreed. But the second one (the one you're about the submit) might not be. If that comes back as "Unsatisfactory" then the whole module will get graded as "Unsatisfactory but with entitlement to reassessment". That might mean you need to re-do the whole module - i.e. both assessments.

I agree that it wouldn't really make a lot of sense to make you re-do the first assessment, as it was satisfactory, but the regulations don't make it clear what you'll be asked to re-do. That's really why I was nudging you towards Student Support, as I suspect they'd know.

I’ll email student support and see what they say, can I graduate if I fail one module?
Original post by Aliv.ad
I’ll email student support and see what they say, can I graduate if I fail one module?

Do you know whether this particular module is classed as Compulsory, Core or Option? According to paragraph 5.4 in the regulations:

"Compulsory
the module must be successfully completed (i.e., a pass grade attained) in order to gain the intended award.

Core
the module is one of a group of modules where a specified number of modules from the group must be successfully completed in order to gain the intended award.

Option
the module is optional, but counts towards the specified number of modules that must be taken from the course map in order to gain the intended award"

So if this is a compulsory module, then it must be successfully completed in order for you to graduate. If it's core or an option, then there might be an opportunity to take a different module instead (as it's a given number of such modules which must be passed to graduate).

Given that this if your final year, it's unlikely to be a compulsory module. But would you really prefer to take a completely different module (even if that option were available) rather than be reassessed on the module you opted for in the first place?

Quick Reply

Latest