The Student Room Group

CGP revision guide for chemistry A-level

So I’ve seen MANY mixed reviews of CGP revision guides. People say they used it religiously to get an A* and other people say that it doesn’t contain enough information even though it says it contains all the info needed in your a level course. From anyone who’s bought and used the CGP revision guide for chemistry. Is it worth it? I do OCR B chemistry.
yeah the chemistry cpg guide is pretty useless imo. it doesnt really explain things well and doesn't go into much depth
Original post by Btwimlost
So I’ve seen MANY mixed reviews of CGP revision guides. People say they used it religiously to get an A* and other people say that it doesn’t contain enough information even though it says it contains all the info needed in your a level course. From anyone who’s bought and used the CGP revision guide for chemistry. Is it worth it? I do OCR B chemistry.

I don't know about OCR I am doing Edexcel Chemistry. I think it depends on your aptitude and the amount of time one has remaining. In my personal opinion it gives the basic principles and covers the syllabus. But I could not personally use it alone and expect to get an A* If you have a think about it, why go to school/ college and write notes and use a textbook surely your teacher would just hand you that book OCR Chemistry B to be your textbook and you would just do pass papers in class. However somehow I don't think this case!

In terms of aptitude I somewhat challenged and use a variety of sources GCSE, A/S and A level Chemistry books. In addition to various websites where the core of the syllabus is taught and Youtube video. I no longer revise parse just work through the syllabus consistently and additionally on application, depth of understanding and speed. The more question you do the faster you get.

I personally would take what people say with a pinch of salt. You don't know for instance their background, their parents may be teachers/ friends of their parents maybe teachers and assisting them.They may be going to a excellent private school, have a private tutor be a Arts or Social Science graduate wanting to do Medicine, a mature student who has studied for years on and off. Alternatively, attend Christmas and Easter revision courses, an excellent school/college student, comfortable home and lifestyle, have a natural aptitude for the subject. They may forget all these advantages and attribute their success to hard work and the book alone or cramming. They may be advising you to get the book and not even be doing A level Chemistry!

Your most important document is your syllabus and recognising it in the question in the exam pass papers. in addition on the day of the exam.
OCR B revision links
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-ocr-b/
https://chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/
Original post by Btwimlost

Heya!
Just as an extra recommendation, if you are looking for some extra free resources, check out Study Mind for free chem revision notes and practice questions all done by topic to support you in your preparations :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 4
Original post by Ambergris
I don't know about OCR I am doing Edexcel Chemistry. I think it depends on your aptitude and the amount of time one has remaining. In my personal opinion it gives the basic principles and covers the syllabus. But I could not personally use it alone and expect to get an A* If you have a think about it, why go to school/ college and write notes and use a textbook surely your teacher would just hand you that book OCR Chemistry B to be your textbook and you would just do pass papers in class. However somehow I don't think this case!

In terms of aptitude I somewhat challenged and use a variety of sources GCSE, A/S and A level Chemistry books. In addition to various websites where the core of the syllabus is taught and Youtube video. I no longer revise parse just work through the syllabus consistently and additionally on application, depth of understanding and speed. The more question you do the faster you get.

I personally would take what people say with a pinch of salt. You don't know for instance their background, their parents may be teachers/ friends of their parents maybe teachers and assisting them.They may be going to a excellent private school, have a private tutor be a Arts or Social Science graduate wanting to do Medicine, a mature student who has studied for years on and off. Alternatively, attend Christmas and Easter revision courses, an excellent school/college student, comfortable home and lifestyle, have a natural aptitude for the subject. They may forget all these advantages and attribute their success to hard work and the book alone or cramming. They may be advising you to get the book and not even be doing A level Chemistry!

Your most important document is your syllabus and recognising it in the question in the exam pass papers. in addition on the day of the exam.
OCR B revision links
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/chemistry-revision/a-level-ocr-b/
https://chemrevise.org/ocr-revision-guides/

Wow I didn’t think about it like that… thank you for replying to my question. Also thanks for the links! I appreciate it massively.

Quick Reply

Latest