Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    GS have this technology decoded event going on tomorrow.
    I applied (9 days ago) 2 days before the deadline.

Got an email saying not accepted.:shifty:
    Some of my friends are going - got accepted.
    tbh the only reason I can think is that I applied late and they ran out of places...My application was good.

So the question is if I went along anyway, would I get 'caught' out?:p:

ReputationRep:
    no, I wouldnt have thought Goldman Sachs were rigourous or anything

probably like some McDonalds recruitment day - I'd go in disguise, they won't know its you

ReputationRep:
    ...or is there anyway I could call them an convince them to save me a place in the morning?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    no, I wouldnt have thought Goldman Sachs were rigourous or anything

probably like some McDonalds recruitment day - I'd go in disguise, they won't know its you
    Thats for the reply,

only thing is I went to this E&Y event last year and they had name badges ready for us

Still possible?

ReputationRep:
    No, because they'll probably have name badges for those who they are expecting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slick 'n' Shady)

tbh the only reason I can think is that I applied late and they ran out of places...My application was good.

I would imagine they'd have a delegate list. If they don't have you on the list, you'll probably be turned away.

ReputationRep:
    ...or is there anyway I could call them an convince them to save me a place in the morning?
    ^^^ Possible?

ReputationRep:
    wtf. there are two possibilities:

1) the event is full, in which case by turning up you'll mess everything up.

2) you were rejected because you're ****.

either way, turning up anyway is completely unprofessional.

ReputationRep:
    My application was good.
    Says who? If your struggling to get onto one of these events, which aren't competitive, then you really want to consider going back to the drawing board on how you're writing your applications.

Also don't go. They won't like your "hussle," they'll think you are a desperate loser. You're not really missing out either, except for a few (short) networking opportunities.

ReputationRep:

Go.

I know some guys who recruit for gs, and they DO notice the folks who turn up without being on the list because it shows determination.

You may not get in, the worst that can happen is that you waste a few hours of your life. You may get in, the best that could happen is that you hit it off with a recruiter. You do the math.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redeyejedi)
    Says who?
    Everyone whose seen it. I've seen some that were accepted, nothing special. I just personally thought it was good enough for an event like this - which as you say isn't that competitive.

(Original post by Redeyejedi)
    They won't like your "hussle,"
    This made me lol

I think I might try it anway and let you guys know how it goes.
    Now there are two options:

1. Go well dressed & prepared with CV in hand and let them know I haven't been accepted but I am enthusiastic determined etc etc

2. Just sneak in with the rest of the sheep:banana2:

tbh though reading this over its starting to sound as a bit of a joke that might even turn into an epic fail...what do you guys think, anymore input?

ReputationRep:
    Go and when they see your name isn't on the list, swear blind that they sent you an acceptance email. These faces should help: "" and ":confused:" and ":s:". If you somehow get caught, it's "" and quickly out if they respond in a jovial manner, or "I'm goin' I'm goin' " if they try getting physical. A simple, smooth :proud: if you manage to get in easily.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascient)
    Go and when they see your name isn't on the list, swear blind that they sent you an acceptance email. These faces should help: "" and ":confused:" and ":s:". If you somehow get caught, it's "" and quickly out if they respond in a jovial manner, or "I'm goin' I'm goin' " if they try getting physical. A simple, smooth :proud: if you manage to get in easily.

Good luck.
    Legend!

Thing is I am going to be with a few friends so I want to minimize embarrassment...lol
    Tomorrow is going to be fun...:cool:

ReputationRep:
    SO:

1. Go well dressed & prepared with CV in hand and let them know I haven't been accepted but I am enthusiastic determined etc etc

OR

2. Just sneak in with the rest of the sheep

?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Go well dressed & prepared, CV in hand, yes. Don't let them know you haven't been accepted until you see they're giving out name badges/checking names against a list. If they are, then try and show enthusiasm etc.

In short, start off as number 2 and then possibly switch into number 2 if needs be.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't go. They'll probally have a register or name badges. I'm sure you can find out about technology without going to this event. Work on your application. Really not good if you are incapable of producing a decent CV and covering letter to get you to this event. (I'm assuming that's what you had to do, seems to be standard for these type of events).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChosenOne)
    Don't go. I'm sure you can find out about technology without going to this event. Work on your application. Really not good if you are incapable of producing a decent CV and covering letter to get you to this event. (I'm assuming that's what you had to do, seems to be standard for these type of events)
    Lol, thats really not the case, I think its more so a case of I applied late.
    I will ask for feedback, and let you all know.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Go well dressed & prepared, CV in hand, yes. Don't let them know you haven't been accepted until you see they're giving out name badges/checking names against a list. If they are, then try and show enthusiasm etc.

In short, start off as number 2 and then possibly switch into number 2 if needs be.
    I like your style, sir.
    Plan of action it is.
    I will let you know how it goes...

Thanks for the advice all, night!

ReputationRep:
    Go and when they see your name isn't on the list, swear blind that they sent you an acceptance email.
    yeah, that's a great way to go about situations. idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, thats really not the case, I think its more so a case of I applied late.
    in which case the event is full. emphasis on the word 'full'. as in, no more people can turn up.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.