The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Best exeter uni accommodation

Hi, I'm have at place at exeter for 2023 and was just wondering which accommodation would be best? I'm looking for ensuite and self-catered. I'm social but I'm not really a party-goer, I'll force myself clubbing in freshers week to be social but I don't want to go all the time and I don't drink much. Which accommodation is loudest/quietest and which would be best? Thanks :smile:
Hiya, firstly congratulations on your offer from Exeter!

There is plenty of accommodation available that is self-catered and en-suite.

The most sociable / loudest I'd say would be Lafrowda (where I stayed in my first year), the pros with this accommodation was the location though, you really couldn't get anywhere closer! But it was pretty loud in all honesty.

East Park is probably the next sociable, it's the newest and most modern accommodation on campus, and is a very popular choice.

Rowe House is near to Lafrowda, so there will still be noise, but from what I have heard (from friends who have stayed there), it isn't as loud as Lafrowda, Rowe House has also got a really good location, and comes with a double bed.

Birks Grange Village, from what I've heard, has a good balance of being sociable and quiet, but is further away and requires a walk up Cardiac Hill (as it is affectionately called!)

St German's is in a similar area to Lafrowda and Rowe House, but is slightly out of the way in comparison, so is less loud, in my opinion this is one of the more quieter ones, and comes with a double bed.

Finally there is Duryard, which is popular with international students, a couple of my friends lived there previously and they did really like it, but it is quite a long walk from campus, and is also probably the quietest of the accommodations.

It is really up to you, think about exactly what you want from your accommodation, and I recommend watching YouTube videos of each of the accommodations to get a real feel for each one, and many of the videos also run through the pros and cons of living there. There are also some university made videos and virtual tours too, I will put the link here:
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/residences/selfcatered/

I hope you manage to make your decision, and good luck for the future.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Erica
University of Exeter Student Ambassador
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by ExeterStudentRep
Hiya, firstly congratulations on your offer from Exeter!

There is plenty of accommodation available that is self-catered and en-suite.

The most sociable / loudest I'd say would be Lafrowda (where I stayed in my first year), the pros with this accommodation was the location though, you really couldn't get anywhere closer! But it was pretty loud in all honesty.

East Park is probably the next sociable, it's the newest and most modern accommodation on campus, and is a very popular choice.

Rowe House is near to Lafrowda, so there will still be noise, but from what I have heard (from friends who have stayed there), it isn't as loud as Lafrowda, Rowe House has also got a really good location, and comes with a double bed.

Birks Grange Village, from what I've heard, has a good balance of being sociable and quiet, but is further away and requires a walk up Cardiac Hill (as it is affectionately called!)

St German's is in a similar area to Lafrowda and Rowe House, but is slightly out of the way in comparison, so is less loud, in my opinion this is one of the more quieter ones, and comes with a double bed.

Finally there is Duryard, which is popular with international students, a couple of my friends lived there previously and they did really like it, but it is quite a long walk from campus, and is also probably the quietest of the accommodations.

It is really up to you, think about exactly what you want from your accommodation, and I recommend watching YouTube videos of each of the accommodations to get a real feel for each one, and many of the videos also run through the pros and cons of living there. There are also some university made videos and virtual tours too, I will put the link here:
https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/residences/selfcatered/

I hope you manage to make your decision, and good luck for the future.

If you have any other questions please feel free to ask :smile:

Erica

Hey!

Can you please help me out with accommodation at Exeter pls? I’m a prospective international student from India and I’ve just gotten an offer. I just talked to someone who studied at Exeter and they said that off campus accommodations usually don’t include electricity and other utility bills while on campus accommodations do.

Can you let me know about the cheapest places for a postgrad student with all the bills included?

Thanks a lot!
Original post by antifragile81
Hey!

Can you please help me out with accommodation at Exeter pls? I’m a prospective international student from India and I’ve just gotten an offer. I just talked to someone who studied at Exeter and they said that off campus accommodations usually don’t include electricity and other utility bills while on campus accommodations do.

Can you let me know about the cheapest places for a postgrad student with all the bills included?

Thanks a lot!

You may be thinking of private rentals of houses/flats in the city - typically from 1st year onwards undergraduates would move into one of these, and yes you will normally be liable for bills in those. Bear in mind usually the rent is lower though and even accounting for bills it's typically cheaper than living in halls.

For halls, there are both university and private halls of residence though ("dorms" in American parlance), where normally bills are included. There are normally options for catered (i.e. you pay meals as well as a room, from a canteen or similar), or self-catered (where you have access to a kitchen but have to buy and prepare your own meals) accommodation.
Original post by artful_lounger
You may be thinking of private rentals of houses/flats in the city - typically from 1st year onwards undergraduates would move into one of these, and yes you will normally be liable for bills in those. Bear in mind usually the rent is lower though and even accounting for bills it's typically cheaper than living in halls.

For halls, there are both university and private halls of residence though ("dorms" in American parlance), where normally bills are included. There are normally options for catered (i.e. you pay meals as well as a room, from a canteen or similar), or self-catered (where you have access to a kitchen but have to buy and prepare your own meals) accommodation.

I talked to a student living in uni accommodation and she told me that the bills are usually high right now in the UK and it would amount more if you stay in private accommodation, esp in winters like you can keep the radiator on for as long as you like in uni accommodation whereas in private ones you’d have to worry about the bill- so is it true? the fact that bills can be really costly?
I talked to a student living in uni accommodation and she told me that the bills are usually high right now in the UK and it would amount more if you stay in private accommodation, esp in winters like you can keep the radiator on for as long as you like in uni accommodation whereas in private ones you’d have to worry about the bill- so is it true? the fact that bills can be really costly?

Pretty sure energy bills are high everywhere across Europe at the moment due to the Ukraine crisis and sanctions against Russia.

A cursory search shows that buildings aren't heated above 21C regardless of external temperatures (and there's no accounting for drafts or poor insulation) and, and that these temperatures are maintained by a BMS system (automatic sensing system) - so it's not up to students what temperature rooms or at or how long heating is on. You can also see heating is only turned on from October to May, and that the rising energy costs are reflected in accommodation charges: https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/students/currentstudents/resinfo/

This older document I found also suggests that for most halls the heating was mainly on from 0630-1030 and 1800-2300 which is probably still true: http://www.exeter.ac.uk/media/universityofexeter/campusservices/accommodation/pdf/Heating_Guide_for_all_Residences_2011-12.pdf
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi there,

You're right that energy bills are pretty high right now, but as already mentioned in the thread private rent tends to be cheaper than halls because it doesn't include bills. I'm in my fourth year at Exeter now and have lived in halls and in private off-campus rentals. In my experience the cost of halls per week is approximately the same as the cost of a private rental when you add the necessary bills! There will be variations in price depending on where you want to live but the main difference I've found is contract length - you tend to privately rent for 11 months to a year, while halls contracts can be up to 10 weeks shorter, which saves money if you don't plan on staying in Exeter outside of term time. However if you would prefer the longer contract the overall cost will probably be similar!

If you're considering halls I would recommend taking a look at the options on the university website for postgraduates https://www.exeter.ac.uk/accommodation/students/postgraduatestudents/

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any more questions! :smile:

Hannah
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I'm have at place at exeter for 2023 and was just wondering which accommodation would be best? I'm looking for ensuite and self-catered. I'm social but I'm not really a party-goer, I'll force myself clubbing in freshers week to be social but I don't want to go all the time and I don't drink much. Which accommodation is loudest/quietest and which would be best? Thanks :smile:

Which degree and are you likely to have 9am lectures? The hill up from some halls on the Birks side is not what everyone wants to face early in the morning.
Original post by Muttley79
Which degree and are you likely to have 9am lectures? The hill up from some halls on the Birks side is not what everyone wants to face early in the morning.

Sociology! I don't mind early morning walks a bit but I guess cardiac hill might not be great at 8:30am

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending