The Student Room Group

Rent accommodation issue. Loan??

I'm not attending University this year however I am currently living in student accommodation.

The rent is to be paid in installments as per my contract.
For the January installment I am due to pay £2900 that I do not have.

I've contacted my accommodation about a delay in my payment and they have been understanding but the arrears process has already started. If the rent is too delayed they will have to report to my guarantor then the debt collection agencies.

I have asked if my contract could be changed to allow for monthly payments as this would be more affordable for my situation but this is not allowed.

I have attempted to take out a loan with my bank and a lender they recommended but both have rejected me.

What are my options now?
I have never dealt with a big finance issue like this before and I am very worried. Any advice on next steps to take please?
Any advice would be helpful
Original post by moonlight98
I'm not attending University this year however I am currently living in student accommodation.

I've contacted my accommodation about a delay in my payment and they have been understanding but the arrears process has already started. If the rent is too delayed they will have to report to my guarantor then the debt collection agencies.

I have asked if my contract could be changed to allow for monthly payments as this would be more affordable for my situation but this is not allowed.

I have attempted to take out a loan with my bank and a lender they recommended but both have rejected me.

What are my options now?
I have never dealt with a big finance issue like this before and I am very worried. Any advice on next steps to take please?

(You originally posted this under Careers, so I’ve asked for it to be moved where you might get some advice)

Have you spoken to your Student Union? Is the accommodation private or university managed?
Original post by Admit-One
(You originally posted this under Careers, so I’ve asked for it to be moved where you might get some advice)

Have you spoken to your Student Union? Is the accommodation private or university managed?

Thank you for moving my thread

The accomodation is private and so I wouldn't think my University could help me with this
Thank you for moving my thread

The accomodation is private and so I wouldn't think my University could help me with this

(No worries, it’s not actually moved yet, but it’s in the queue.)

I’d still chat to your SU, they might be able to advise on things like hardship loans, (although the fact that you’re not currently enrolled might affect your eligibility).

As the landlord is private they are not under any obligation to jump through hoops for you. That said, I believe it’s a long road to get you booted out and you are doing the right thing by making them aware.

Do you have any friends or family who might be able to sub you? Not a nice position to be in, but cheaper than a private loan even if you could arrange one.

Can I ask how you were planning to pay? Have your finances changed or did you not factor in when the rent was due? I’m not judging, just trying to work out where things have fallen through.
Original post by Admit-One
(No worries, it’s not actually moved yet, but it’s in the queue.)

I’d still chat to your SU, they might be able to advise on things like hardship loans, (although the fact that you’re not currently enrolled might affect your eligibility).

As the landlord is private they are not under any obligation to jump through hoops for you. That said, I believe it’s a long road to get you booted out and you are doing the right thing by making them aware.

Do you have any friends or family who might be able to sub you? Not a nice position to be in, but cheaper than a private loan even if you could arrange one.

Can I ask how you were planning to pay? Have your finances changed or did you not factor in when the rent was due? I’m not judging, just trying to work out where things have fallen through.

Thank you,

I may be able to ask family but that really is a close to second last resort.
My finances did change and I assumed with extra employment I'd be able to pay the amount myself. I also thought my accommodation would be more flexible.
Reply 6
My finances did change and I assumed with extra employment I'd be able to pay the amount myself. I also thought my accommodation would be more flexible.

That last sentence is concerning. You've signed a contract; when did your situation change and how much notice did you have that you owed this amount? And when is your next payment due and how will you meet that?

What's happening with your guarantor in all this? Why aren't they helping you out?
Thank you,

I may be able to ask family but that really is a close to second last resort.

Okay, well I suppose the change was in part your temporary withdrawal along with some other matters. As above, a private landlord is under no obligation to change your existing contract so you are where you are with that.

@04MR17 - can you think of any other guidance related to this situation?
I would head to entitled.to and see if there’s anything you are entitled to, also perhaps housing benefit? Look at Citizens advice for help too.

I can’t see you being eligible for student union hardship loans as you aren’t a student I’m afraid. There is help out there though.

Can you get an extra hours at work at all?

What are my options now?

I might be missing something, because I would have thought someone might have advised this already but: check your contract for early cancellation policy and find somewhere cheaper to live?
Reply 10
As stated it’s a long process before he is booted out

However, I would look at what you can afford if it was monthly and at least make that payment on account rather than nothing. If they pass to debt collectors it’s much harder to enforce if you are showing you are making payments and willing to come to an agreement to pay by instalments rather than pay nothing.

Meanwhile, I agree with above poster, look at your contract see if there is a break clause and look for cheaper accommodation

Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest