The Student Room Group

Thinking I might have to drop out?

I had to leave my university accommodation because it did not have any internet connection or mobile phone signal. IT tried to fix it but to no avail. My mum is ill so needed to contact me in an emergency. One time she went to hospital and I could not be contacted- I am her next of kin.

I live 45 mins away so the commute wasn’t a big deal until Christmas.

But since the new term has started I am at breaking point. Buses aren’t turning up and I have been left at the stop for 2 hours just waiting in the freezing cold. I am now ill because of it (with a cold/chill) and because I am disabled it is making my condition worse.

My uni doesn’t have any alternative accommodation.

Because it is taking me so long to get home I am falling behind in my work.

I am seriously considering dropping out over it all. Does anyone else have any alternative ideas?
I would suggest you go and see your tutor to discuss this. I’m a postgrad and had an accident last year meaning I couldn’t continue. I deferred and restarted the following year. Be careful however as you will have to refund the fees for the first term. Before you do anything, go and see your tutor.
Sorry re-find, not refund
Original post by Anonymous
I had to leave my university accommodation because it did not have any internet connection or mobile phone signal. IT tried to fix it but to no avail.

If internet access is supposed to be provided as part of your contract, then take this up with the accommodation supplier. If they can't/won't fix it, try asking for a discount. If the accommodation supplier is the university, try raising a formal complaint.

Re mobile phone signal, have you looked into whether this is a general problem (i.e. no mobile signal at all), or whether it's specific to your mobile phone network (e.g. no signal from O2, but Vodafone works). If you can get a signal by changing mobile network, that's something you could do.
Original post by martin7
If internet access is supposed to be provided as part of your contract, then take this up with the accommodation supplier. If they can't/won't fix it, try asking for a discount. If the accommodation supplier is the university, try raising a formal complaint.

Re mobile phone signal, have you looked into whether this is a general problem (i.e. no mobile signal at all), or whether it's specific to your mobile phone network (e.g. no signal from O2, but Vodafone works). If you can get a signal by changing mobile network, that's something you could do.

I tried swapping my mobile network and even got mobile broadband at my own expense on a different network- it didn’t help at all
I had to leave my university accommodation because it did not have any internet connection or mobile phone signal. IT tried to fix it but to no avail. My mum is ill so needed to contact me in an emergency. One time she went to hospital and I could not be contacted- I am her next of kin.

I live 45 mins away so the commute wasn’t a big deal until Christmas.

But since the new term has started I am at breaking point. Buses aren’t turning up and I have been left at the stop for 2 hours just waiting in the freezing cold. I am now ill because of it (with a cold/chill) and because I am disabled it is making my condition worse.

My uni doesn’t have any alternative accommodation.

Because it is taking me so long to get home I am falling behind in my work.

I am seriously considering dropping out over it all. Does anyone else have any alternative ideas?

There may have been changes made to the bus timetable or there may be roadworks affecting the route. It might be good to find out to avoid waiting in the cold.

If there is a cafe or another warm place near the bus stop, it might be better to wait there if there is a big gap between buses.

Alternatively, is there anyone you can share a lift with to and from university?

Talk to your tutor. They may be aware of different ways the university can support you, particularly with the situation with your mum.

Talk to your lecturers. You may be able to get extensions for your work.

Hope things improve soon!

Oluwatosin 2nd year podiatry student University of Huddersfield
I tried swapping my mobile network and even got mobile broadband at my own expense on a different network- it didn’t help at all

There are four main networks: O2, Vodafone, EE, Three. (The other providers effectively piggy-back on one or other of those four networks). Have you tried all of them? (Get friends on those networks to try them in your accommodation before buying anything yourself).

Quick Reply

Latest