The Student Room Group

Dropping a subject

I am currently in Year 12 and taking 4 A-Levels, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and History. I hope to apply for medicine next year but have received mixed messages regarding the value of history. Some teachers claim it is a useful A level that would set me apart from others whilst others suggest that I should drop it as soon as I can because I am unlikely to continue it next year. I have fallen a little behind in my chemistry and biology and I'm trying to catch up in time for February mocks. In the last mocks we did in November I got History(A), Chemistry(A), Biology(B), and Maths(B).

I would appreciate any advice on how I should proceed.
Drop the fourth subject ASAP. Med schools are interested in 3 AL only, impress them by getting the highest grades possible in those.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
Drop the fourth subject ASAP. Med schools are interested in 3 AL only, impress them by getting the highest grades possible in those.

Thanks for your reply.

Is it worth dropping maths or biology whilst keeping history to stand out from other candidates?
Original post by firvalent
Thanks for your reply.

Is it worth dropping maths or biology whilst keeping history to stand out from other candidates?

No.

It is a myth that you need to ‘stand out’. You need to take the essential subjects (which may vary from uni to uni, even for the same course) and get the highest grades possible.
Original post by firvalent
I am currently in Year 12 and taking 4 A-Levels, Chemistry, Biology, Maths, and History. I hope to apply for medicine next year but have received mixed messages regarding the value of history. Some teachers claim it is a useful A level that would set me apart from others whilst others suggest that I should drop it as soon as I can because I am unlikely to continue it next year. I have fallen a little behind in my chemistry and biology and I'm trying to catch up in time for February mocks. In the last mocks we did in November I got History(A), Chemistry(A), Biology(B), and Maths(B).

I would appreciate any advice on how I should proceed.

Heya!
The 4 alvls you have might be too much, have you thought about dropping one? :frown: If you want to focus on medicine, then possibly look into dropping either maths or history (not bio!). Usually, medicine courses just need chem and bio (unless it's Cambridge who does want maths as a 3rd choice), you can look at different medicine entry requirements using this comparison tool (linked). In the end it's up to you, which one do you feel like you'll do better at?

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest