Should it be a crime to pay for sex? Watch

Have Your Say
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
The British government wants to make it illegal to pay for sex with prostitutes who are controlled by pimps or have been trafficked to the UK. Will this move protect vulnerable women?

Men who pay for sex could be publicly identified and even charged with rape, if they knowingly have sex with a woman forced into prostitution.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said it would 'be a good thing' if the measures deterred men from visiting prostitutes.

Sex workers have criticised the proposal, saying they could be at greater risk if they have to work alone or in remote neighbourhoods.

Should the sex- trade be subject to tougher laws? Or would decriminalisation be a better move? How should the government prevent trafficking?

Read the full story (on the BBC website)
oo_Lucinda_oo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
What? That's ridiculous.

How would the men know the prositutes had been trafficked or forced into the profession? There's no way of differentiating between those who are forced and those who do it by choice surely? Are they supposed to ask every time?? :confused:
caroline147
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I personally think that the whole prostitution industry should be decriminalised, thus enabling the authorities to police the industry (including trafficking) more effectively, whilst giving the public more freedom to spend their money however they choose.
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You wont stop it, there is too much money and there will always be supply while there is demand.

Decriminalisation would be the best idea IMHO, its the worlds oldest profession, despite many years trying to stop it, so you may as well protect the girls, get some tax, and if done correctly (IE licenced brothels) then policing would be easy. Moral arguments aside, as it shouldnt be for the govenment making moral desisions on what is right and wrong.
Necro Defain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Women who choose to become prostitutes of their own free will, and who are not forced into it, should be decriminalised
Juggy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
nah my wife needs to go shopping!!
Lampshade
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It shouldn't be a crime to pay for sex.
tropical-twist3
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
It's a crime that something that feels so good can come for free.
Juggy123
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tropical-twist3)
yes how much? :P
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Necro Defain)
Women who choose to become prostitutes of their own free will, and who are not forced into it, should be decriminalised
nah man, its society's fault...
tropical-twist3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Juggy123)
yes how much? :P

hahaha I was just joking.

I'm unsure on the issue, because it surrounds alot of questions that matter on personal views and opinions, whatever any government do they won't be able to please everybody and especially in an issue like this, compromise can't please anybody either. Nobody can win really.
Necro Defain
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Vazzyb)
nah man, its society's fault...
Perhaps for some, but I believe the vast majority are tempted by the money (or are forced into it in a way through a drug habit), should we stop strippers too simply because they want to do it for the money?
JAgg
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm a gigolo
punktopia
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by tropical-twist3)
Damn straight.
ThisNameNowTaken
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
this wouldnt stop prostitution...theres always gonna be a demand and the traffickers only care about money and are therefore gonna continue to supply

(Slightly off topic.....if anyone is interested, Taken, is a good film about trafficking)
abc101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
They may as well legalise it and have it properly regulated. There's always going to be prostitution, so the prostitutes may as well be contributing to the economy, and it'd help to tackle some of the associated problems and get some pimps out of business.

In an ideal world, it'd be illegal, but it's not going to stop it, so the next best thing is to have it properly regulated. It hurts the moralist in me though
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
hooker: "hey, wana **** me?"

me: "i sure would, but hang on a sec, have you been trafficked into the uk much? and are you conntrolled by a pimp at all?"
GeorgEGNT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I can see it now ....

"How much love? Actually wait there .... Before we start I'm gonna have to see some official identification to prove you havent been trafficed into the UK or being controlled by a pimp..."

"Have you been illegally trafficed into the UK? No, Oh well thats good lets go"

Outrageous, the 'customers' are being penalised for the crimes of other people. Just the police being lazy. If we cant stop the nasty pimps, we'll arrest the unknowing men at the ****** end of the stick.
Liquidus Zeromus
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by caroline147)
I personally think that the whole prostitution industry should be decriminalised, thus enabling the authorities to police the industry (including trafficking) more effectively, whilst giving the public more freedom to spend their money however they choose.
QFT. +1

It would do a lot of good to decriminalise the sex trade. People like the guy in my sig can keep driving their pimpmobiles because prostitution is a black market trade.
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Certainly not. It's extremely naiive to believe that prostitution is going anywhere. It has existed for literally thousands of years. Legalisation and regulation is the most likely method to bring security to the girls involved in the industry, and provide liberation from trafficking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (279)
27.51%
No (735)
72.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed