The Student Room Group

UCAS Application advice

Hey guys
I was really hoping if someone could help me, and maybe give me tips on how I can strengthen my UCAS application, because my grades don't really reach the university course requirements. So I was hoping maybe I could strengthen the rest of my application, to atleast give me a fighting chance even though my grades aren't the best.
Thank you, hope yall can help
Original post by VK1234
Hey guys
I was really hoping if someone could help me, and maybe give me tips on how I can strengthen my UCAS application, because my grades don't really reach the university course requirements. So I was hoping maybe I could strengthen the rest of my application, to atleast give me a fighting chance even though my grades aren't the best.

If you're grades don't meet (or preferably exceed) the standard / typical offer, then there's almost nothing can you do (in terms of your personal statement, reference, etc.) to counteract that. There are some exceptions, but that's generally the case.

What grades are we talking about vs. what sort of requirements? At which universities for which courses?
Original post by VK1234
Hey guys

Hi,

If your grades don't reach the University course requirements then there isn't much you can do unfortunately but however they might make an exception but that is down to your University choices, every uni entry requirements differ in some way ! However one way you could try is to make sure your personal statement is very detailed and very professional, make sure you have everything you need to talk about in there, find ways to improve it! If you are at college or sixth form maybe speak to a member of staff that can give you some help with your application and how to make it stand out!!

I hope this has helped! I really hope your application is successful and I wish you the best of luck!

-Tianna :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
If you're grades don't meet (or preferably exceed) the standard / typical offer, then there's almost nothing can you do (in terms of your personal statement, reference, etc.) to counteract that. There are some exceptions, but that's generally the case.

What grades are we talking about vs. what sort of requirements? At which universities for which courses?

The university is Kingston University and the course I'm applying for is Digital Media Technology, which isn't really that competitive, and the grades I'm talking about are my A level results
Reply 4
Original post by De Montfort University
Hi,

If your grades don't reach the University course requirements then there isn't much you can do unfortunately but however they might make an exception but that is down to your University choices, every uni entry requirements differ in some way ! However one way you could try is to make sure your personal statement is very detailed and very professional, make sure you have everything you need to talk about in there, find ways to improve it! If you are at college or sixth form maybe speak to a member of staff that can give you some help with your application and how to make it stand out!!

I hope this has helped! I really hope your application is successful and I wish you the best of luck!

-Tianna :smile:

Thank you so much
Original post by VK1234
The university is Kingston University and the course I'm applying for is Digital Media Technology, which isn't really that competitive, and the grades I'm talking about are my A level results

Sorry, I should have been clearer with my, "What grades are we talking about vs. what sort of requirements?" question. I was talking grades not qualifications. Let me try asking the same question a different way...

I can see that the course you refer to has a typical offer of "UCAS tariff points: 112-128". You said in your first post that "my grades don't really reach the university course requirements". How many UCAS points do you think you might get?
Reply 6
Oh sorry about that. My UCAS points are about 104
Sorry, I should have been clearer with my, "What grades are we talking about vs. what sort of requirements?" question. I was talking grades not qualifications. Let me try asking the same question a different way...

I can see that the course you refer to has a typical offer of "UCAS tariff points: 112-128". You said in your first post that "my grades don't really reach the university course requirements". How many UCAS points do you think you might get?
Original post by VK1234
Oh sorry about that. My UCAS points are about 104

OK. Below, I've provided three different pieces of data which might help you understand the likelihood of 104 UCAS points being accepted for Digital Media Technology at Kingston University, for which the typical offer is stated as "UCAS tariff points: 112-128".

The offer rate at Kingston University overall (not for this course in particular) is about 85% (data from UCAS, here):
Kingston University Offer Rate.JPG

There is clear evidence of other candidates for Digital Media Technology at Kingston University gaining entry with fewer then 104 UCAS Tariff points, about half of them according the below, which for students starting 2018 - 2020 - although it is a very small sample size (data from DisoverUni, here):
Kingston University Digital Media Technology UCAS Tariff Points.JPG

If we look at things from an A level grades perspective, the most populate A levels studies were Media Studies (B), Mathematics (E) and Business Studies (E), which total 96 UCAS Tariff points (data from TheUniGuide, here).
Kingston University Digital Media Technology Most Popular A Level Subjects.JPG

My reading of this data is that you have a good chance of an offer, and of a place. However, don't let this (potentially incorrect) observation stop you from putting-in all the effort you can to get the best grades you can and from writing the best personal statement you can.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
This was so helpful, thank you so much, i really appreciate it
OK. Below, I've provided three different pieces of data which might help you understand the likelihood of 104 UCAS points being accepted for Digital Media Technology at Kingston University, for which the typical offer is stated as "UCAS tariff points: 112-128".

The offer rate at Kingston University overall (not for this course in particular) is about 85% (data from UCAS, here):
Kingston University Offer Rate.JPG

There is clear evidence of other candidates for Digital Media Technology at Kingston University gaining entry with fewer then 104 UCAS Tariff points, about half of them according the below, which for students starting 2018 - 2020 - although it is a very small sample size (data from DisoverUni, here):
Kingston University Digital Media Technology UCAS Tariff Points.JPG

If we look at things from an A level grades perspective, the most populate A levels studies were Media Studies (B), Mathematics (E) and Business Studies (E), which total 96 UCAS Tariff points (data from TheUniGuide, here).
Kingston University Digital Media Technology Most Popular A Level Subjects.JPG

My reading of this data is that you have a good chance of an offer, and of a place. However, don't let this (potentially incorrect) observation stop you from putting-in all the effort you can to get the best grades you can and from writing the best personal statement you can.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending