The Student Room Group

Really disappointed with my A Level Psychology assessment :(

So i am a y12 student taking psychology, i've just finished up the topic of 'memory' (working memory model/ msm, Eye witness testimony, coding, diff types of LTM, etc...). Got my test score back today and I got 22/46!!! Which btw counts as a grade 'c' and my teacher tells me i was one mark away from a 'grade B'.

I swear i revised so so hard the night before and in the week before and still i ended up with a horrifically **** score. I asked what i can do to improve and my teacher goes thru the test paper w/ me to show areas of improvement. It's just so unfair how i revised so hard and got a rlly bad score- any tips on how to deal w/ the disappointment?
Original post by krystaloceanx
So i am a y12 student taking psychology, i've just finished up the topic of 'memory' (working memory model/ msm, Eye witness testimony, coding, diff types of LTM, etc...). Got my test score back today and I got 22/46!!! Which btw counts as a grade 'c' and my teacher tells me i was one mark away from a 'grade B'.

I swear i revised so so hard the night before and in the week before and still i ended up with a horrifically **** score. I asked what i can do to improve and my teacher goes thru the test paper w/ me to show areas of improvement. It's just so unfair how i revised so hard and got a rlly bad score- any tips on how to deal w/ the disappointment?

What were the areas of improvement which your teacher identified? Were that based upon facts / knowledge which you did not know? Or were they based upon the application of that knowledge to the question at hand?

The distinction is important, as if your revision was entirely focused on memorising case studies, definitions, research studies etc. and were were not able to recall them in the exam, then you need to try different techniques for learning these facts. (Ironically, the very topic you've been studying should help you understand how your memory works, what different techniques you might try, and what might be getting in the way.)

However, if you had all the facts / knowledge to hand, but weren't able to apply that knowledge to the questions asked, then the solution is likely to be using past papers (and, more importantly, the mark scheme) to get used to the process of applying that knowledge to get the marks.
Hey, I was similiar to you last year as in I revised really hard but didn't do so well. Just remember you are in Year 12, so you will definitely improve by next year as I was stuck on Bs and Cs last year and now I mostly get A's. It sounds like you know the content but perhaps don't know the correct exam technique so you cant get the highest grades? For evaluation points, make sure you really explain how this is a strength/limitation rather than just saying something generic like 'This lacks internal validity because the patients displayed demand characteristics'. Always have a link sentence at the end of your paragraphs which summarises how this links to the question. I would also reccomend reading model answers as it's useful to follow the structure. Idk if this applies to you but since you said you revised but still scored low I think i may be because of exam technique rather than not knowing the content.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest