Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
More or less all unis, particularly the top ones, will use GCSEs as a filter. Even if it's just English and maths GCSE. Oxbridge aren't too bothered compared to some of the other top unis, apparently.

But, even with this in mind, no university expects a string of As and A*s. You do get people (on some fairly popular courses) at the top unis with fairly average GCSEs.
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
despite the rumours as long as your GCSEs are 'dry' or at least on the 'tide line' other factors (extra curriculars, reference) will be as much weight if not more
jcb914
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just don't go applying to LSE.......
im so academic
Badges: 13
Report 10 years ago
I would assume that every uni looks at your gcses to see if you have 5+ A*-C gcses including english and maths.
Sam Rawlings
Badges: 0
Report 10 years ago
Most will consider them but if you look in the prospectuses it does tell you what grades they expect (e.g in order to do [...] at [...] you need so and so in Maths etc.) But on the whole, as long as you meet the minimum requirements, you should be fine. Oxbridge tend to have this '4 A* minimum policy' but i heard they are quite leniant on it; they look more at potential.
Badges: 14
Report 10 years ago
well if you dont have at least a C in maths or english should one be going to uni anyway? (just to get the inevitable argument started)
TheMeister
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some colleges at Oxbridge use GCSE results as a determining factor for 'filtering' students - unfortunately.
milliondollarcorpse
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sam Rawlings)
Oxbridge tend to have this '4 A* minimum policy' but i heard they are quite leniant on it; they look more at potential.
Rubbish :p:
Kevin J
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Oxbridge tend to have this '4 A* minimum policy' but i heard they are quite leniant on it; they look more at potential.
Where the hell did you get that info from?
Sam Rawlings
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by loafer)
well if you dont have at least a C in maths or english should one be going to uni anyway? (just to get the inevitable argument started)
I know to do psychology at Durham, they 'prefer' students to have a string of A's/A*'s.
Sam Rawlings
Report 10 years ago
Go on the website it says they look at potential and when i went to the psych open day they said they usually require people to have 4 A*'s but they are more interested in potential.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I know to do psychology at Durham, they expect students to have a string of A's/A*'s.
We discussed this. The prefer all As and A*s, they don't necessarily expect it (not in the same way the history department expect plenty of A*s). Not having them may put you at a disadvantage but it's something the can be overcome. Also, it's only straight psychology (at Durham) and not applied psychology (at Stockton) so you need to be careful about that.

Also, that Oxbridge comment was nonsense.
nemnem
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Go on the website it says they look at potential and when i went to the psych open day they said they usually require people to have 4 A*'s but they are more interested in potential.
Apparently they told the teachers at our school that applicants should probably have at least 4-5 A/A*'s to have a realistic chance of at least being interviewed
Never heard the 4 A* thing though - a bit depressing
Sam Rawlings
Report 10 years ago
....tutors are much more interested in candidates’ overall academic ability, and their potential and motivation for the course at Oxford...We would normally expect applicants, who have taken GCSEs, to have at least 4 A* grades
Sam Rawlings
Report 10 years ago
From the oxford website (above)
Valour
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Sigh.. ..
the666thmessiah
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Meh I got A*AABUUUUU at GCSE and am on to AABB (predicted on paper) to AAAA (targeted/predicted by word)... if the unis im applying to dont accept me its their own stupid loss, aswell as the subjects that I plan on studying...
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (205)
18.59%
No (670)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (228)
20.67%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed