The Student Room Group

A - Level Application Dilemma?

hello,

A level application deadline is approaching...
My mock first results were recently released, and my average 5.7, with English at 6 and Math at 7, combined science at 6 and so on. If my final GCSE results were similar, I would be able to pursue A level at the same school. I wish to apply to another A level school that is closer to my house and their A level results were much better than my current school.

However, due to various application restrictions, I will be unable to apply to both my present school and the school near my home at the same time. Do you guys think I should give up my A level at my current school and apply to another? I'm concerned that the competition as an external candidate will be significantly stiffer, and that my gcse scores will fulfil their criterion for consideration as an external applicant.:ashamed2:
Reply 1
You can apply to both schools, it's always worth a try. I applied to 4 and got accepted to all. I was accepted to my main choice which was way further away from my home and had a high school linked to it so it classed me as an external applicant. Your grades are great! Just check the specific requirements for the courses you're applying to and the overall requirements for the school.
Apply to both, or more, and keep working hard for your exams :smile:
If, on results day, you get (for example) a grade below the specific requirements for the college/sixth form you want to go to the most then I've heard people still going to the college on results day and asking for a place and showing your appreciation for the courses you've picked.
I'm in year 12 so I was applying to different sixth forms and colleges late 2021 and earlier last year (2022).
Reply 2
I can't since both schools formed an agreement to share some A level subjects, thus I can only apply to one. And there aren't many options for good A level schools in my area.

Original post by klinx
You can apply to both schools, it's always worth a try. I applied to 4 and got accepted to all. I was accepted to my main choice which was way further away from my home and had a high school linked to it so it classed me as an external applicant. Your grades are great! Just check the specific requirements for the courses you're applying to and the overall requirements for the school.
Apply to both, or more, and keep working hard for your exams :smile:
If, on results day, you get (for example) a grade below the specific requirements for the college/sixth form you want to go to the most then I've heard people still going to the college on results day and asking for a place and showing your appreciation for the courses you've picked.
I'm in year 12 so I was applying to different sixth forms and colleges late 2021 and earlier last year (2022).

Quick Reply

Latest