The Student Room Group

Computer Science in university without doing A Level Maths?

I would truly love to do Computer Science as a future career, it's something I really enjoy and am good at, but there's just one issue, I really hate maths.

At GCSE I got Grade 7 in maths with so much hard work, I did not deserve this though as my true mathematical ability is probably more of a 5 or 6.

I signed up for A Level Maths in college, and within the first 3 weeks I hated it, and they were literally re-going over things from GCSE Maths I should already know, that just killed my motivation. It was the final straw when they placed in front of me a 100 question algebra workbook due as homework that I knew I would be teary-eyed over and unable to do and begin to get flashbacks of how miserable maths made me in highschool. Within the first month of college, I swapped Maths at A Level for something else.

Now, I'm slowly realising my mistake, with almost every single university in the UK requiring A Levels Maths at least for any Computer Science course, it seems more and more like I have no other option. Words cannot describe how much I'd like to avoid doing a third year at college.

Yes, I probably should be more persistent and try my hardest, but what motivated me to drop Maths was knowing that I was competing against other students which CHOSE to do A Level Maths in the grade boundaries, and that I was limiting myself by picking this as an A Level knowing I could get a much better grade in another subject.

Could anyone let me know of my options for this situation? Please be nice! Thank you!
I'd write something myself, but this old post here summarises it all pretty well - https://www.quora.com/Should-I-pursue-computer-science-if-I-am-bad-at-math

Regarding the entry requirements, you can always do a foundation year at Uni (extra year before entering the CS programme), if you don't have math as one of your A levels.
There will most likely be calculus on your first year, but year 2 and 3 are more focused on actual CS topics with some math involvement but mostly basic stuff, you're not going to be regularly solving differential equations that's for sure.
Original post by Fl04tingPoint
I would truly love to do Computer Science as a future career, it's something I really enjoy and am good at, but there's just one issue, I really hate maths.

At GCSE I got Grade 7 in maths with so much hard work, I did not deserve this though as my true mathematical ability is probably more of a 5 or 6.

I signed up for A Level Maths in college, and within the first 3 weeks I hated it, and they were literally re-going over things from GCSE Maths I should already know, that just killed my motivation. It was the final straw when they placed in front of me a 100 question algebra workbook due as homework that I knew I would be teary-eyed over and unable to do and begin to get flashbacks of how miserable maths made me in highschool. Within the first month of college, I swapped Maths at A Level for something else.

Now, I'm slowly realising my mistake, with almost every single university in the UK requiring A Levels Maths at least for any Computer Science course, it seems more and more like I have no other option. Words cannot describe how much I'd like to avoid doing a third year at college.

Yes, I probably should be more persistent and try my hardest, but what motivated me to drop Maths was knowing that I was competing against other students which CHOSE to do A Level Maths in the grade boundaries, and that I was limiting myself by picking this as an A Level knowing I could get a much better grade in another subject.

Could anyone let me know of my options for this situation? Please be nice! Thank you!

I actually, created a similar thread not too long ago, and according to the replies, it seem like maths AL will be needed if u want to go to a top uni. But some top unis, like leeds and liverpool, do let u take either maths or compsci AL to study their comp sci course. Most mid tier uni will deffo accept u without AL maths
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Fl04tingPoint

Hello! I am a Final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster and I didn't study A-level further maths nor computer science. My univeristy wants to emphasise how comouter science is a broad topic and not all of them require maths. I think the level of maths required really depends on which aspects of computer science you want to focus on, for example more maths will be involved for things like AI machine learning. I hope these can help you! Good luck with your applications!!

- Miyuki (Lancaster University FST Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending