The Student Room Group

Choosing a University

So far I have 3 responses. I haven’t had a decision from the one I really want to go to, but I want some advice on which to choose incase they reject me. I want to study computer science and have received an offer from University of Leicester, Aston University and Lancaster University. With Leicester and Aston I can study while at home so I’d only have to take a tuition loan (I want to avoid taking loans). But I know Lancaster is a very good University also. Right now I’m torn between Leicester and Lancaster. I know this will sound silly to some but I have big goals for postgrad and want to do my masters at a university like oxford but I’m not sure if they university I go to for my bachelors would affect that. I know it’s a bit almost impossible dream but I still want to try. What should I do?
I can't really help you with that important choice but I can tell you that when you apply to a postgrad course they won't take into account where you got your degree, just that its a relevent degree and you got a good mark (usually a first or a 2:1) so dont let that influence your decision!!
Hi @marsx,

I am a current 3rd year student at Lancaster University (studying Psychology). It's great that you are already thinking about postgrad study. If you work hard at undergraduate level, take part in extracurriculars and gain work/voluntary experience then you can apply pretty much anywhere for a postgrad. They are unlikely to concentrate on the university you were at, more at the skills/experiences you've gained!
In terms of picking a uni I would reccomend you go somewhere with the course content you like the most (if you enjoy the areas you are studying you'll do better!) Similarly I would look at the surrounding area the uni is in as well, you'll be spending the next three years there so pick a part of the country you like :smile:

I hope your applications go well,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @marsx,

I am a current 3rd year student at Lancaster University (studying Psychology). It's great that you are already thinking about postgrad study. If you work hard at undergraduate level, take part in extracurriculars and gain work/voluntary experience then you can apply pretty much anywhere for a postgrad. They are unlikely to concentrate on the university you were at, more at the skills/experiences you've gained!
In terms of picking a uni I would reccomend you go somewhere with the course content you like the most (if you enjoy the areas you are studying you'll do better!) Similarly I would look at the surrounding area the uni is in as well, you'll be spending the next three years there so pick a part of the country you like :smile:

I hope your applications go well,
Eloise (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hi, this was very helpful, thank you! One of my biggest concerns is also cost and loans, unfortunately. I want to avoid taking a loan for accommodation but I know I'd have to if I choose Lancaster.
Original post by marsx
So far I have 3 responses. I haven’t had a decision from the one I really want to go to, but I want some advice on which to choose incase they reject me. I want to study computer science and have received an offer from University of Leicester, Aston University and Lancaster University. With Leicester and Aston I can study while at home so I’d only have to take a tuition loan (I want to avoid taking loans). But I know Lancaster is a very good University also. Right now I’m torn between Leicester and Lancaster. I know this will sound silly to some but I have big goals for postgrad and want to do my masters at a university like oxford but I’m not sure if they university I go to for my bachelors would affect that. I know it’s a bit almost impossible dream but I still want to try. What should I do?

Hiya! Eloise has already mentioned some good points and answered a couple of your questions. Thought I'd just provide some additional insight and hopefully it'll help! I'm a final-year Computer Science student at Lancaster and I've had a fantastic experience so far. Depending on your reasons for avoiding a loan, it might be worth having a look at our course page (https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/computer-science-bsc-hons-g400/) to see if you like the look of the modules that are offered and if CS at Lancaster interests you. The Computing department has recently revamped the curriculum so there are a lot more optional modules available!

If you don't want to take a loan out because you want to save money for a postgraduate degree, maybe think if you'll be doing the postgrad straight after undergrad or if you want to wait a few years before. The few years before could be used to save money for a Master's which might be a benefit as you'll also be gaining experience in the workforce and using your CS degree in a work environment where you could learn more about your sub-interests in Computer Science.

Best of luck and I hope you get an offer from the university you really want to go to! :smile:

- Sophia (Student Ambassador)
Lancaster is the strongest of the 3 you name.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending