The Student Room Group

Optometry or radiography help

Deleted
(edited 1 month ago)
Which type of Radiography? Is it Diagnostic or Therapeutic. I heard from my Open Day that Therapeutic Radiography is more involved in building relationships with patients since you are working in the treatment of different pathologies, but it is focused on oncology so the treatment of cancer using Radiotherapy. You might see the same patients regularly in Therapeutic Radiography whereas in Diagnostic is very varied so you get all sorts of different patients everyday but depending on the area that you work in (For example; if it’s an emergency you might not see the same patient again).
Reply 2
I would like to know how you manage yourself to write one personal statement for two courses?
Original post by Tmntmn
I would like to know how you manage yourself to write one personal statement for two courses?

Firstly there are some really good writing guides on UCAS for your personal statement.

As both your preferred degrees fall into NHS Hospital training environments. Being general about providing good care to people regardless of specialty. Discussing your understanding of transferable skills across healthcare in general. Discussing why diagnostic care appeals to you versus primary care. Discuss being able to take a holistic approach to healthcare in environments that are part of a patient admission and discharge. As apposed to just their treatment and medical care.

This will make your personal statement much stronger regardless of it being for 2 specialities. Arrange to have visits in Radiography and Ophthalmology departments. Then in your interviews you will have an opportunity to be more specific regarding each speciality.

Hopefully this helps
Mark Bush
Reply 4
Original post by University of Suffolk student
Firstly there are some really good writing guides on UCAS for your personal statement.

As both your preferred degrees fall into NHS Hospital training environments. Being general about providing good care to people regardless of specialty. Discussing your understanding of transferable skills across healthcare in general. Discussing why diagnostic care appeals to you versus primary care. Discuss being able to take a holistic approach to healthcare in environments that are part of a patient admission and discharge. As apposed to just their treatment and medical care.

This will make your personal statement much stronger regardless of it being for 2 specialities. Arrange to have visits in Radiography and Ophthalmology departments. Then in your interviews you will have an opportunity to be more specific regarding each speciality.

Hopefully this helps
Mark Bush

Is it okay for me to mention pharmacy or radiography in my personal statement? Or just mention healthcare subject if I want to refer to pharmacy or radiography?

And is it risky to get offers? As other applicants focus on one course and I am writing for 2 courses. Mine may be less specific that those apply for one subject.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Tmntmn
Is it okay for me to mention pharmacy or radiography in my personal statement? Or just mention healthcare subject if I want to refer to pharmacy or radiography?

And is it risky to get offers? As other applicants focus on one course and I am writing for 2 courses. Mine may be less specific that those apply for one subject.

Sorry about the late reply. Been on Placement and had exams.

Personally I would stick with Healthcare as it will save your word count not swapping between pharmacy and radiology and lessens the risk of mixing them up.

It is not a Risk in receiving offers as this is very common in Healthcare. With people applying for different healthcare roles at different universities and needing back up courses from difficult access or low intake specialties like Medicine.

Mark Bush
University of Suffolk
Student Rep 2nd year Radiology

Quick Reply

Latest