New Uni mates and Christmas presents Watch

happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Here's something I've been wondering about. Fellow freshers, do you intend to buy Christmas presents for your new best friends, even though you've only known them for ~9 weeks? Or are you just going to buy everyone a round at the bar and call that their present?

What is the general etiquette here?
KJ21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
People are different. Do you mean the people you live with?
happy-and-lost
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I live on my own (long story). I was just wondering what freshers did in general. I mean, by now we're all running low on cash, and we won't be getting our next loan until the end of January.
KJ21
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Wel when i was a fresher, we did secret santa. You could suggest that. If not, not I wouldnt buy presents
BeautifullyTragic
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I've grown close to a group of 8 people, so we're doing secret santa
Helie12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
me and my housemates are doing secret santa. the other idea floating round our house at the mo is pooling all our money together and buying a house present that we'll all use. Tbh, i dont think that idea's gonna work because we're never gonna find something that 3 girls and 3 boys all want to use.
martin-jesusfreak
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing secret Santa with some mates from my course and probably buying small presents for a couple of closer mates.
Cooro
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah, we've bought presents for each other. We're going to meet up before everyone goes home for Christmas for lunch out and to swap presents.
AsphyxiateD
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If anyone buys me a present I won't return the favour, so it's going to have to be a risk they're willing to take.
vapid slut magician
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
secret santa within a group is usually the best way to go
rmyl
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In first year, me and my friends did pound shop christmas which was fun. Everyone bought each other one present, for about 6 or 7 people, and you ended up only spending 6 or 7 pounds. Just as fun and as thoughtful, but without the worry that you're spending a lot of money on people you don't know that well.
Citizen Zero
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We didn't buy anything for each other. Just had a group kitchen party where we all chipped in for drink and food, so I guess that was everyone's 'present'.

I don't give a stuff anyway. I'd rather buy a uni mate a birthday present than a Xmas present.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (71)
30.34%
No - I got the required grades (132)
56.41%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (31)
13.25%

Watched Threads