The Student Room Group

Urgent btec help

Hi, today I have my first exam for this course.

I am doing unit 1,2,7,15
and unit 1,2 are both external exams and unit 7,15 are coursework internal.

I am not feeling confident for the exam today I will admit I revised late due too personal problems but thats not the case and theres no excuse for it. Also this unit is my weakness and unit 2 I have an exam for on the 24th and I know am going too ace it as im confident and love the unit.

I will like too know if i get a pass in this exam today (unit 1) or fail will I still be able too get an distinction for the whole course as I will revise in advance for upcoming exams?

And if I decide to retake the exam (unit 1) in May and get an distinction for it will that replace my current grade and will retaking effect my course overall grade which I get in June in any way ? And effect ucas points?
Original post by itsmeuno
Hi, today I have my first exam for this course.

I am doing unit 1,2,7,15
and unit 1,2 are both external exams and unit 7,15 are coursework internal.

I am not feeling confident for the exam today I will admit I revised late due too personal problems but thats not the case and theres no excuse for it. Also this unit is my weakness and unit 2 I have an exam for on the 24th and I know am going too ace it as im confident and love the unit.

I will like too know if i get a pass in this exam today (unit 1) or fail will I still be able too get an distinction for the whole course as I will revise in advance for upcoming exams?

And if I decide to retake the exam (unit 1) in May and get an distinction for it will that replace my current grade and will retaking effect my course overall grade which I get in June in any way ? And effect ucas points?

What type of BTEC are you studying? Certificate? Extended Certificate? Foundation Diploma? Diploma? Extended Diploma?

What subject are you studying? Business? Information Technology? Applied Science? Travel and Tourism? Something else?

(I ask as it's much easier to assess the impact of an individual unit on the overall grade if we know the BTEC type and subject.)

In answer to your final question, about resitting a unit, the BTEC rules say, with regards to BTEC Nationals, that "If learners resit an externally assessed unit, the best grade achieved will count towards their overall qualification grade, not necessarily the most recent sitting." This would apply to your unit 1, as that is externally assessed. You could therefore potentially improve your overall grade (and the associated UCAS points) via a resit of this unit.
Reply 2
Hi, thank you for your advice am studying
Pearson
BTEC Level 3 National
Certificate in
Computing

and also one more question if I have failed the unit one exam worse case scenario and resit will the highest grade only be a pass as I briefly read a post saying thats the highest you can achieve.
Original post by itsmeuno
Hi, thank you for your advice am studying
Pearson
BTEC Level 3 National
Certificate in
Computing

and also one more question if I have failed the unit one exam worse case scenario and resit will the highest grade only be a pass as I briefly read a post saying thats the highest you can achieve.

(Sorry, this turned out to be a longer answer than I had expected. If you just want the summary, see the bold sentence at the end.)

Great. I can now answer your question by using the "BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator", from the Pearson web site. A list of the BTEC calculators they provide is here. If we open it up and select the Certificate tab (scrolling the tabs left to find it), and select Computing from the Selector Sector list we're told that the Mandatory Units are 2 (External) and 7 (Internal) and that there are no other units. That doesn't really match with the units you're doing.

Checking the BTEC Level 3 National specification for Computing, here, confirms this as it says on page 3 that for "Pearson BTEC Level 3
National Certificate in Computing" is "Equivalent in size to 0.5 of an A Level. 2 units, both mandatory, of which 1 is external." However, the "Pearson BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Computing" is "Equivalent in size to one A Level. 4 units of which 3 are mandatory and 2 are external."

Page 4 of the same specification says that units 1, 2 and 7 are mandatory (all of which you are doing) and that for the single optional unit you can choose from units 10, 11, 14, 15, 17, 20 and 22. Your fourth unit (15) is in that list. So this all ties-up nicely; you're doing the Extended Certificate, which is equivalent to 1 A level.

OK, so returning to the Grade Calculator spreadsheet but using the Extended Certificate tab this time and again selecting Computing from the Select Sector drop-down we see it automatically list units 1, 2, and 7 and ask for the fourth. I entered Website Development (unit 15). Interesting, the different units have different values for "Guided Learning Hours" which means they probably have different weights when it comes to calculating your overall grade. (This, and the fact that different units are graded in different ways, is why it's almost impossible to calculate your overall grade by hand.)

Your original question was, "I will like too know if i get a pass in this exam today (unit 1) or fail will I still be able too get an distinction for the whole course as I will revise in advance for upcoming exams?"

If we pick the maximum points/grade for each other unit (that's 24/24 for unit 2, distinction for unit 7 and distinction for unit 15), then we can play around with the points/grade for unit 1 and see what happens. Like unit 2, this isn't a pass/merit/distinction unit - it's graded based on points, although from 1 to 32 (not 1 to 24 like unit 2).

If I tell it you got 32 points, this gives you a D* overall. Dropping it down a point at time, your overall grade stays a D* until I drop unit 1 to 25/32, at which point your overall grade drops to a D (distinction). The next threshold is 9/32, when you overall grade drops to a M (merit).

So, if you were to get the maximum possible score for units 2, 7 and 15 you could afford for unit 1 to drop as low as 10/32 (which they call a "near pass" and still get a distinction overall.

There are clearly lots of other scenarios. I suggest you download and use the calculator (enabling macros is required) and have a play.

With regards to your additional question, there is no rule which says that a resit means that your grade is "capped" at a pass. See the resit rules here.

Quick Reply

Latest