The Student Room Group

Friends before uni?

How do I go about finding people who will be going to the same uni and possibly the same course when i am still a prospective student? is there a certain app or do I just have to wait for september?
Original post by NickMahn25
How do I go about finding people who will be going to the same uni and possibly the same course when i am still a prospective student? is there a certain app or do I just have to wait for september?

there'll be a freshers fb group probs
theres an app called umii that i used :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by okayykayy
theres an app called umii that i used :smile:

I downloaded that but it said I had to log into my uni account to verify, but I don't have one yet.
Reply 4
Original post by emmastonestoes
there'll be a freshers fb group probs

Okii, thank you so much!

Hi @NickMahn25,

I'm currently a second year studying MChem at Lancaster University.

When I came to uni, I found it helpful to join Fresher's Facebook pages and see if I could find anyone coming to Lancs. There is also the university's page on the student room where lots of people chat. That's a really good way to find people because you know that they're all going to the same uni.

Hope this helps
-Beth :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @NickMahn25,

I'm currently a second year studying MChem at Lancaster University.

When I came to uni, I found it helpful to join Fresher's Facebook pages and see if I could find anyone coming to Lancs. There is also the university's page on the student room where lots of people chat. That's a really good way to find people because you know that they're all going to the same uni.

Hope this helps
-Beth :smile:

Hello
Okay, I'll have a look into both of these. Thank you so much for your help!

I just want to make sure I know some people before I start.

Hi @NickMahn25

I'm Rebecca, another ambassador from Lancaster. As Beth mentioned there will be a lot of freshers group chats on Facebook/WhatsApp, usually unofficial. These are great ways to meet potential course mates or people in your accommodation but be wary of people advertising tickets/events as these groups are not regulated and a lot of people try to sell scam tickets to "freshers events". In my experience I found people on Facebook and we made smaller groups (e.g. for my accommodation, course, I was in a general girls chat and a general science chat too). A lot of the friends I made in these groups I am still friends with now, especially my course mates, however I still have so many people I didn't meet until university that are close friends, some of them I only met in my second year, so don't panic if you don't know people before going to university because everyone's super friendly and open. There's no usual time for this to happen, some people will be trying to find people from the second they've sent in their application and some people only start looking for chats once they've received the offer so if you're interested just keep an eye out and do an occasional search online.

I hope I could help!
Rebecca :smile:

Hi there

As mentioned above, I would highly recommend joining the freshers 23/24 facebook pages. Usually these pages will post links to Whatsapp groupchats so you can meet people in your year. This was how I found people on my course and the people in my flat. These pages are also great at promoting events and activities going on at uni. Hope this helps!

Best wishes

Joanna
-Uni of Kent Rep :smile:

Hi,

You can often find people here on the student room if you type in the uni or course to the search bar you will probably find threads which have people in who will be studying with you.
Another great way is to join Facebook or WhatsApp groups, there are often freshers groups on Facebook which you can join and then you can ask who is doing which course which will allow you to then make a separate group chat for people on your course!

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Digital ambassador
Uni of Sunderland

Hi @NickMahn25 !
Usually you'll find that there's quite a lot of groups on Facebook. You'll find pages for freshers and the different accommodations. In most cases you'll find that the admins have set up different WhatsApp groups within the groups for different courses and accommodations which you can join and find people just like you. Try and post in the Facebook groups and introduce yourself. Everyone's in the same boat so you won't get ignored. I met my first year flatmates through Facebook groups and I also found some friends on my course in those WhatsApp groups.

Let me know how you get on!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU
(edited 1 year ago)

Hi NickMahn25,
You've made a good start asking in forums like The Student Room! Besides that, many universities set up Facebook groups for incoming students - although there are good unofficial ones as well. Besides that, I met a few university friends at offer holder days so it's definitely worth considering attending those.

Hope this helps!

- Sophie

Hey @NickMahn25

As everyone else has said, there are usually unofficial Facebook pages/WhatsApp group chats/SnapChat groups that people send around. As someone mentioned, they are usually trying to sell you tickets to fake events so just be careful! But you can see if anyone is on your same course or in your accommodation and then take it from there. I have also seen people post on The Student Room!

Please, as always, stay safe online!

All the best,
Sara :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest